What Does The Frame Look Like?

elizilla

• Member Contributer

Hello! Long time no see! I haven't posted much since I sold my 4th gen, but I did go to T-Mac in 2012 on my Super10 - it was great to see you guys there! And this year I moved to a new house with a fantastic huge heated garage.

But I have bad news for y'all. I haven't ridden the Super10 since March, because my left leg won't hold me up. And now I can't ride the Ural very far because my left foot is too weak to shift the gears very easily, and I get tired. SO tired. Last week, the docs finally got their @#$% together, and gave me a diagnosis. MS. Obviously we'll be doing everything that we can with the medical stuff. But that's a drag to get into here. Don't ask, ok? I am here to talk about motorcycling, because that is a much more enjoyable obsession. :)

Giving up motorcycling is out of the question. But a 7th gen DCT with a slick Hannigan sidecar setup? That might be just the ticket. And at least sidecars are cool!

So I am here to ask for pictures of what sort of frame is under that layered bodywork. Any of you 7th gen guys got photos of the bike with the plastic off? I don't have one, the local dealer never got any in, and I don't know anyone local who has one, so I haven't had a chance to analyze whether it's a good candidate for a sidecar. If there's a dearth of attachment points, well, the VFR1200F is a lot of bike and I don't want to create a dangermobile, so I might have to move on and look at the NC700X DCT. It's just that a VFR1200F would be a whole lot niftier. And I need some nifty!

I don't intend to do anything right away. I have too many doctor's appointments, and fragile reserves of energy. But by winter I suppose I will settle into a new routine of some sort, and I hope to have room in that routine, to spend the winter fiddling with bikes. I can start drooling now, can't I?

So please, share some pictures of the VFR1200F with the bodywork off.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Wow...no help for you, but I can say I am humbled by your great attitude. Good luck on finding a suitable set up. We just enjoyed seeing all the side car rigs at Mountain View, Arkansas a few weeks ago as they had one of their annual rallies there. All types...I think I even saw a Connie 14 setup. I would encourage you to look them up on their web site and visit a rally to talk to folks who do this...

EDIT: Here it is...

http://www.sidecar.com/rally.asp

A buddy of mine in a similar situation just sold his Vstrom and bought a Can-Am spyder with the push button transmission. Absolutly loves it, rides the damn thing all over the place. And its pretty quick too. Might be worth a look. If I get a chance I'll snap a photo of a 7th gen with its clothes off for ya. The NC700x DCT would be ridiculously easy to add a sidecar to. Tons of exposed frame, torquey for its size, and pretty cheap (compared to the VFR or a Spyder)

• Member Contributer

Goll Elizilla, sorry to hear your news but I've found a positive attitude is a huge advantage. And I admire yours greatly. Glad to hear you intend to keep riding.

Best of fortune and ride safe. I hope we can meet again at T-mac. You taught me a lot about high level riding. Thank you.

• Member Contributer

I had a demo ride on a Spyder and just didn't like it very much. I have enjoyed my sidecars a lot more.

The trike I have been considering is one of those Piaggio MP3 scooters. That would be a great around-town scoot, since the area where I live is very well supplied with convenient motorcycle parking, and the MP3 is narrow enough to use it. In particular, the hospital is a parking nightmare, but there is motorcycle parking closer to the main entrance than even the handicap parking. And I expect to be spending a lot of time there. :-(

I always thought that the VFR1200 DCT would make a great base for one of those leaning trikes. If you are planning the side car route, there is going to be quite a bit of fab work either way. Not sure about cost, but I'd imagine it would be about a wash (after the purchase of the side car).

I always thought that the VFR1200 DCT would make a great base for one of those leaning trikes. If you are planning the side car route, there is going to be quite a bit of fab work either way. Not sure about cost, but I'd imagine it would be about a wash (after the purchase of the side car).

I think it would make a great drivetrain for something like the Can Am Spyder.

Thanks for reminding me how (probably undeservedly) lucky I am. Power to you, and good luck with you mechanical adventures.

Brian

Archived