What Kind Of Mpg Do You Get?

TNRabbit

I've had my '98 for almost a month now, & got about 42 mpg on my first tank. Second thru 4th tanks, about 45-48 mpg.

On my latest fill-up, I averaged 52 mpg. Riding included 45-80 mph stints, with a few short blasts up to 130 mph.

I've not seen anyone else post about getting this kind of fuel economy. Am I running lean? Should I be concerned? What kind of fuel economy are YOU experiencing?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I tracked my fuel last year on a 4,000 mile trip with my 6th gen - the highest was 52 mpg mostly cruising highway speed limits, lowest 31.5 mpg going over Beartooth pass. Over the total trip the average was 43.5 mpg.

• Member Contributer

'I averaged 52 mpg' and 'should I be concerned?' - yes. Your mileage is way too good. Better start driving in one gear lower than normal for all situations and rev it like a Harley at stop lights.

I get about 40mpg on mine. That was calculated on a fully loaded trip with some wicked bends (about 150kms of them).
I'll have to pay attention and get some more measurments.

I'm between 55 on a moderate speed highway tour and mid 20s at the track. About 40 if i'm commuting on the bike. Sounds like you are right on target to me

• Member Contributer

I have a 45 tooth rear sprocket and get about 45 mpg doing rush hour commuting, which includes lane splitting and hov lane use. I get mid-30 ish mpg when in the hills/twisties.

Sent from taptalk with spell check and political correctness disabled

• Member Contributer

Never ever saw even close to 50+mpg on my 6th gen. Was always around 40-42 in mixed riding, but dropped into high 30's when sport riding.

• Member Contributer

50 mpg is pretty typical for me. I have a 30 mile (one way) commute, cruise 5000 rpm in sixth. Don't recall ever getting lower than 47 mpg. 1998 RC 461 (California model)

Only time I've ever looked close enough to pay real attention I got just over 45 on a ... "spirited" ride across Wales. 100 miles almost exactly, about 9½ litres when I filled up at the other end.

But I'm in the UK, we use different Gallons :tongue:

But I try my best not to actually look on the bike. I drive as a hypermiler, I get 60-65 (UK)mpg out of my car. The bike is a toy, I consciously don't look 'coz I don't want to be riding on my economy.

• Member Contributer

I was getting 45 to 48 mpg until I got a speedo healer...now 40 to 42...

I just got 54 mpg on a 140 mile trip yesterday (70-80 mph, interstate), but if I adjust for the 8% or so my speedometer is off, I got 50 mpg.

• Member Contributer

I'm 245, with Givi's full bags and a tank bag...I'm pushing bike weight plus 300lbs more...

I was getting 45 to 48 mpg until I got a speedo healer...now 40 to 42...

Geez, how much does that thing weigh?!

:)

Just did 175 miles with a combination of roads up here in the Blue Ridge mtns, and got 42.5 MPG according to my questionable math skills. I have a slip on exhaust with no tuning and stock air filter. I weigh around 215lbs. :fing02:

When I had my 5th Gen I usually averaged between 380-400km per tank while commuting. Managed to get 480km on a country run sitting on a constant 120-130km/h.

Best I've seen with the 6th Gen so far is 380km, still had a bit over 3 litres left when I filled up. That was also a country run. Best I've had commuting so far is 350km. My commute now is a lot more stop/start though...

Archived