Sena Smh10R Bluetooth Headset

Phongeer

Purchased a Sena SMH10R via Radio Riders on Ebay.

Awesomeness!

Took a while to install on my helmet; wanted to put the main unit in the "right" spot then fished/hid the wires the best I could.

Charged it up and paired with my iPhone 5 - super easy!

So the last few days I've been learning to use it in real life.

Today was the first day I could totally use it with gloves on; turned on, off, turned on music, activated Siri, made calls, received calls, listened to texts and sent texts. All without glitches.

Tomorrow I'm going to use the speaker "extender" pads to see if I can get the speakers slightly closer to my ears.

Will update periodically as I get more use out of it.

But so far I'm loving this purchase.

Great work Sena!

• Member Contributer

I picked one up earlier this summer and I couldn't agree more. The quality is superb, plus the intercom funciton is awsome for riding with a similarly equipped buddy or two -- it sure beats trying to interpret vague gestures, or having to pull over to find out someone wants to pull over a mile down the road.

• Member Contributer

I have a sena as well, smh10 and I absolutely love it. As said works flawlessly and is super simple to operate! Money well spent.

Jess

• Member Contributer

If you happen to make the mistake of taking the unit off the helmet and bending the pins, Sena has a very responsive customer service dept.

I . . . was that guy.

I love my Sena.

I've got two, plus the helmet clamp kits for using earbuds and choice of microphones, PLUS an SM10 stereo transmitter. So... my SpousalUnit and I can both talk to one another, answer our cellphones, and either listen to music on our phones or plug in the Walkman to the SM10 and listen to the same music.

Having played with and installed Scala rider, Motorphone, Midlands, Chatterbox, and Nolan Ncom, Sena is the best. Easy to instal, easy to use, durable. As soon as my Scala Q2 finally dies I'll be getting a set of Senas for the lady and I.

• Member Contributer

Been using my sena smh10r all summer. Low profile, works good but stereo quality and volume with plugs leaves some to be desired. Thankfully Sena is coming out with an earbud attachment for it soon. It will be perfect then

Been using it for a couple weeks of riding back and forth to work and a couple of day rides.

Can easily work the controls with gloves on, just took a bit of practice.

I'm going to read the manual and try again tonight, but I believe I can make it so I can use my voice to deal with some of the controls but so far I haven't had luck in figuring it out.

I've got two, plus the helmet clamp kits for using earbuds and choice of microphones, PLUS an SM10 stereo transmitter. So... my SpousalUnit and I can both talk to one another, answer our cellphones, and either listen to music on our phones or plug in the Walkman to the SM10 and listen to the same music.

I've been looking into the SM10, so a question.

I pair my iPhone with the SMH10R and use the phone as my music source. If I wanted someone else to listen to the same music I would use the SM10 but would I have to "pair" my phone with the SM10 to send the music to both SMH10R's?

If yes, then do you know if I can still access and use Siri?

• 7 months later...

Been a while since an update.

Use the SMH10r everyday, well every day that my bike is running...

Downloaded the most recent software version and can't wait to try out the music sharing ability.

Hey, anyone try the headphone adaptor?

• Member Contributer

Downloaded the most recent software version and can't wait to try out the music sharing ability.

That's so sad ....

• Member Contributer

I did and went right back to speakers. It works but my head/ears and earbuds just don't work. They always want to come off when putting on the helmet and I got tired of futzing with it for 5 minutes by trying to be slick as grease putting the helmet on. I think I've tried 3-4 pair of earbuds over the years, all moto-specific and no dice. The helmet mounted speakers are the best solution. If anything, spend the $ on upgraded helmet speakers.

I've used custom molded Big Ear stereo plugs for the past 2 years with my SMH10 (non-R) and like them just fine. Sometimes the cord catches on things, but I've never had good luck with speakers permanently in my helmet. I've tried that before and they always end up rubbing on my ear somewhere creating a sore spot.

I bought a cheap set of helmet communicator on Ebay - the one with cord connection between two helmets (not the bluetooth type) for me and my son's use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorbike-Motorcycle-Helmet-2-way-Intercom-Headset-Communication-System-Earphone-/181307999246?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a36cc840e&vxp=mtr

The thing is ok with the City commute. But when going on the highway, it 's really suck, because the max volume can't beat the wind noise.

I am looking for a reasonable set of Scala or Sena.

I ride mostly two up with my wife and was considering the SMH10, then I saw the SMH10R come out. Any of you consider both and is one preferred over the other?

The R model looks less bulky and more streamlined but people seem to like the dial of the non-R version. Curious what you all think.

I ride mostly two up with my wife and was considering the SMH10, then I saw the SMH10R come out. Any of you consider both and is one preferred over the other?

The R model looks less bulky and more streamlined but people seem to like the dial of the non-R version. Curious what you all think.

I've never used the R version, but am pretty happy with the non-R version. I do hit the jog button with my shoulder once in a while though. They are also coming out with a 20S model next month. It will be priced higher than the SMH10, but have some additional features. I will probably be upgrading to these at some point and selling off my SMH10's.

20S_19-main-500x362.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm thinking about going wireless after a dozen years with Autocoms... I know the SENA does well with phone calls, but can you play your MP3s through your phone? How does it sound? How about turn-by-turn GPS instructions?

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

From my observations and experience, Sena is probably the leader in features at the moment but Scala and Sena both seem to have the "better" quality units. My Schuberth SRC system is made by Scala and from what I have experienced, it is top notch. I use it to listen to music, whether from my iPhone playlist or the built in FM tuner. Phone calls are phenomenal too, I don't really talk long, mostly a quick "Can I call you back and/or make it quick" call, but everyone that I have spoken to while riding all say the same thing, "I cannot tell you were on an your motorcycle"

From what I have read lately, the Sena has added a "universal" connect client and will allow you to do headset to headset communication with virtually any comm system, plus they've added the ability to even connect to RF systems like the Motorola FRS walkie-talkies. Not sure what is required to do it but that is a very cool feature. Scala G9/G9x systems allow up to 8 Scala units to be "linked" simultaneously and the "x" version allows you to "stream" your music to one of the connected units. I.e. Sharing your iPhone playlist so to speak.

That's my 2 cents.

Cheers!

I'm thinking about going wireless after a dozen years with Autocoms... I know the SENA does well with phone calls, but can you play your MP3s through your phone? How does it sound? How about turn-by-turn GPS instructions?

Cheers,

Yup, good, & yup.

I had Autocom for years and thought it was the best thing ever (I've tried Nady, Chatterbox, etc). It is so nice not to be tethered to the bike anymore though with the Sena. I think the Sena also allows you to control things much easier than the Autocom. With a press of the button I can pause music or resume. Push and twist one way forwards to the next song, twist the other way and it goes to the last song. Throw the phone in the tank bag and not worry about accessing it again.

I haven't used turn by turn with my iPhone, but have synced the Sena to my GPS and it works well. My only complaint is when music is playing, it stops the music, tells you what to do next, then starts music again only to interrupt again and tell you to do something again. It usually does this 2 or 3 times for every turn you make. I guess if you really don't know where you are going it helps you not miss your turn, but becomes annoying to me after a while.

Never thought of it until now, but in a congested area, you could always pause the music and just listen to the turn by turn directions, then turn the music back on when you get on the open road.

Archived