What Do I Do?!

Guest VF500FInterceptor

Guest VF500FInterceptor

So beginning of the riding season I noticed my rear tire was completely shot. Being new to motorcycles, and completely broke I did some research and ordered a Shinko 230 Tour Master. Now I have put quite a few miles on the bike, and my front is going bad. I was going to throw another Shinko on it but turns out they don't make the correct size for the front. I also realized that the guy down at the motorcycle shop convinced me to put on a 120/90V 18 on the rear when stock is a 100/90 18. Now I am wondering if that is a bad thing? I still do not really have enough to buy two tires, and I am kinda stuck as to what to do about this. I can go with a Shinko 100/80 on the front, but stock is 100/90. Will I feel a major difference? I am worried about screwing up the handling more than I already have.

PLEASE HELP!

• Member Contributer

IIRC, the stock rear is a 110, not a 100. When I had mine back in the 80's, the Dunlop K591 Sport Elite 120/90 rubbed the swingarm slightly, but guys ran them anyway. I don't think the Metzeler Comp K 120/90's rubbed. (These were the only choices for sport rubber back then that I can recall, as the OEM Bridgestones were horrible and the BT45 wasn't out yet when I had my bike). If your 120/90 Shinko isn't rubbing, it's fine.

I don't remember anybody running anything but 100/90 on the front, and I don't know how much it will affect the bike. There are still some other quality 16" tires available, though. Brigesteone BT45 and Metzeler Lasertec (evolution of the Comp-K I used to run) are both good bias ply tires available in that size. Kenda is a cheaper economy brand like Shinko and comes in the correct size for the Miniceptor.

• Member Contributer

You can go wider but only if you drop the aspect ratio by 10 in order to match the same diameter of

the stock 110/90 example 120/80 130/70...

Pirelli Sport Demon 120/80-18

162-205-large.jpg

My 86 Belt-0-Ceptor with a 130/70/18 Metzler

post-3131-0-47242700-1373932507.jpg

You can go wider but only if you drop the aspect ratio by 10 in order to match the same diameter of
the stock 110/90

Be very careful you don't go wider than the rim will work with. Too much & you'll pinch tire in causing it to roll the outside of the tread I .

Why not just get the right size tire for the bike? (Within the constraints of the budget for the front at least...)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/72/961/6243/ITEM/Pirelli-Sport-Demon-Sport-Touring-Front-Tire.aspx - 100/90 Front is $87

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/72/961/6244/ITEM/Pirelli-Sport-Demon-Sport-Touring-Rear-Tire.aspx - 110/90 Rear is $106

I went with a set of these before I sold my 500 and it made a WORLD of difference... as the tires on the bike were old and IIRC someone had stuffed a 130 on the rear. *thumbs down*

^^ Just went through my photos and confirmed it was a 130. That thing just looked weird on the bike... waaay too wide. Not to mention the handling sucked as the tire was worn down affecting turn-in. As soon as the Pirelli's went on there, she turned in with just a minor flick of the grips and stayed there.

You'll probably be fine for normal riding with the rear you've got on there now, but since the aspect ratio was not adjusted down to accommodate the wider tire, I doubt you'll have the same handling as with the proper size tire on there.

Well I wasn't aware it was wrong when I bought it, I trusted the dummy at Edge. It actually handles 10 times better then what I had on it before, but I think the reason is because the one before was a different type of tire. It was a lot more flat then the one that I put on. I think I will put on a kenda front tire that is the correct size and then eventually replace both down the road with stock ones that are a bit nicer. I just need to get through this riding season.

I've heard good things about the Dunlop Q3s, and the price is very reasonable. I run Shinko 009s on mine atm, but will be upgrading next year. Shinkos are fine, Kenda I assume are ok, but you only get a few square inches of each tire connecting you to the road; make them count. (Easier said than done I know, I'm on a budget as well.)

Shinkos are actually a decent tire for the price. MOST tires today beat the pants off tires from just a few years ago. The biggest difference is in longevity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Shinkos are actually a decent tire for the price. MOST tires today beat the pants off tires from just a few years ago. The biggest difference is in longevity.

I am totally agree with you. You are 100% good here that Shinkos are actually a reasonable tire for the cost. MOST tire these days defeat the pants off tires from just a few decades ago. The greatest distinction is in durability.

Archived