Another Airbox Mod Thread I Know.......but Whats The Best One To Do,01 Vfr800

Guest hollenbeck

Guest hollenbeck

I have a 01 vfr800, with mod's as follows/pc3usb with cozey map (330ohm resisters),yoshimura rs3 carbon fiber slip-on, and a bunch more, but I've really been wanting to do the airbox mod and I've read too many threads to come to a good conclusion on what to do, idc about sound I just wanna let her breath and get the most out of the pc3 and Yoshi or get the most performance I can with diy stuff, so the thread starts and I'm interested to see what ya'll have to say, everyone says flapper, pair valve, and snorkel but Idk what the hell I'm doing lol, so witch one actually does something and wich one's don't? any advice would be great, thank you

I have a 01 vfr800, with mod's as follows/pc3usb with cozey map (330ohm resisters),yoshimura rs3 carbon fiber slip-on, and a bunch more, but I've really been wanting to do the airbox mod and I've read too many threads to come to a good conclusion on what to do, idc about sound I just wanna let her breath and get the most out of the pc3 and Yoshi or get the most performance I can with diy stuff, so the thread starts and I'm interested to see what ya'll have to say, everyone says flapper, pair valve, and snorkel but Idk what the hell I'm doing lol, so witch one actually does something and wich one's don't? any advice would be great, thank you

oh K&N air filter btw :)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

The best airbox mod is.......none :fing02:

The snorkel mod changes the resonance of the airbox, but not necessarily the flow amount. I found a really cool animation on the air intake and how it pulses and pressure changes and that, but no idea where.

PAIR removal has nothing to do with air intake. You can remove it and it shouldn't affect much aside from a throttle body sync.

I know this topic has been going on for yrs, but Im almost done with her, I done ever mod I've found any performance mod's pop up in your head, cause I only have pc3usb, Yoshi, 929 mono shock and lowered front forks, so ideas on what to do next that won't brake the bank

I know this is a stupid question so I'm admitting it up front, wich one is cat convertor and wich one is the snorkel? I've never messed with the airbox except cleaning K&N filter

I de-snorkeled my 4th gen about two years ago......And frankly, I never could feel or hear any difference :unsure: ...Heck, I guess I at least took maybe a 1/4 pound off the bike taking it off....... :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I took off the snorkel of my 4th gen yesterday.

Upon hard acceleration there is a distinct ROOAAARRRR. So when u hear no difference vs with snorkel, that puzzles me....

• Member Contributer

Cat converter is short for catalytic converter and it is part of the exhaust system. If your interested in removing it then the best way is replacing the exhaust. The snorkel is a rubber air channel that directs air into the air box. It is on the top right of the air box if you are sitting on the bike.

... and I love the sound of the bike with the de-snorkeled de-flappered mods! Starts with a growl when I crack the throttle and ends with a rush and and a roar as my front tire is skimming the ground!!!

• Member Contributer

There are only 2 good mods that really do something.

1: Put a marble in both reed tubes to kill the valve-pairing system, or remove the entire valve-pairing and close them on both sides of the cylinderheads.

2: Remove the vacuum tube to the flapper-valve in the airbox and make sure the tube is airtight.

The snorkel mod does nothing except make useless extra noise, on top you have the risk of getting water into the airbox and the airfilter, not worth the risk.

PAIR removal has nothing to do with air intake. You can remove it and it shouldn't affect much aside from a throttle body sync.

Yes it does, as it let air flow from the airbox to the exhaust and thus killing low RPM riding comfort, as well as power at low RPM.

• Member Contributer
The snorkel mod does nothing except make useless extra noise, on top you have the risk of getting water into the airbox and the airfilter, not worth the risk.

How does the snorkel keep water out of the air box? The opening is slightly larger when it is removed but at a given rpm the engine is pulling the same amount of air into the cylinders whether the snorkel is there or not. The higher velocity air flow through the snorkel could in certain circumstances pull more water droplets into the air box and filter. Please explain, I don't understand.

I respectfully disagree about the useless extra noise. The decreased air resistance and lower vacuum reduce pumping loses and has been shown to produce about 1-1.5 bhp at the rear wheel on a dyno... and it costs nothing.

...Plus it sounds really cool!

• Member Contributer

here read through this.

we get this question every other day and it always starts an argument.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanics-garage/27350-airbox-mod-vfr800.html

Interesting but those number are within normal error. Notice it was runs #1 and #5. It seems that it took until the 5th for the oil to get hot enough to thin enough give up a very tiny bit more power (again within error). The 5th run was 5 minutes after the 1st run and within that same 5 minutes, the snorkel was removed.

• Member Contributer

How does the snorkel keep water out of the air box? The opening is slightly larger when it is removed but at a given rpm the engine is pulling the same amount of air into the cylinders whether the snorkel is there or not. The higher velocity air flow through the snorkel could in certain circumstances pull more water droplets into the air box and filter. Please explain, I don't understand.

I respectfully disagree about the useless extra noise. The decreased air resistance and lower vacuum reduce pumping loses and has been shown to produce about 1-1.5 bhp at the rear wheel on a dyno... and it costs nothing.

If you ride in the rain, without the snorkel water can enter the box.

With the snorkel it's near to impossible.

And no, several people have put the machine in a power-testbench and the snorkel does not make any difference in HP.

The flapper and valve-pairing mod do increase the torque at lower RPM, however do not increase HP, ergo give a more smooth ride at low speeds and RPM.

About the noise, I don't find the noise of the airbox cool, I rather listen to a good exhaust like a DAM pipe. (I have one and it sound the best on the market!)

• Member Contributer

And no, several people have put the machine in a power-testbench and the snorkel does not make any difference in HP.

The flapper and valve-pairing mod do increase the torque at lower RPM, however do not increase HP, ergo give a more smooth ride at low speeds and RPM.

About the noise, I don't find the noise of the airbox cool, I rather listen to a good exhaust like a DAM pipe. (I have one and it sound the best on the market!)

This thread is the first I've heard about water entering the air box due to snorkel removal. I've had mine off for 3 1/2 years and have ridden through torrential rains for hours at highway and back road speeds and never had any issues with water in my air box. There are many others with this simple, common, Honda mod and I've never heard of any water complaints. If you do the flapper mod you are opening a similar window into the air box at the same level and attitude and apparently that doesn't cause problems with water in the air box either.

... cool gases in the front throttle or hot gases out the rear pipe... it's all just wind making noise and I love it!!!

• Member Contributer

The purpose of the flapper valve is to maintain intake velocity in the snorkel at low throttle openings. They do this to improve throttle response in the "normal" use areas. Once you reach a load and RPM when the extra air needed, the flap is opened. Since the flap is open at full throttle, removing it will have no effect on max HP. Removing it and the snorkel will only hurt throttle response. This is the same reason for the whole VTEC thing. Using half the intake valves at low RPM is to increase intake velocity, there by improving throttle response and efficiency.

• Member Contributer

Hey J! Long time no chat!!!

... intake, exhaust; inhale, exhale... I love hearing the engine breath!

In the immortal words of Neil Peart... it's all "...mechanical music... adrenaline surge!"

I think the jury is still out on how effective Honda was in accomplishing the improved throttle response in the lower rpm thing judging by the number of people looking to "fix" or improve the throttle response to make it more ride-able.

IMHO most commercially available engineered equipment is a compromise between many factors... in this case government noise regulations, emissions, materials, manufacturing efficiency and costs, etc are not the least of which. I understand and appreciate what Honda was going for with the 5th gen air box set-up; I just have serious questions about it's efficacy.

... besides, when I start hearing my girl breathing heavy it does something to me :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Hey J! Long time no chat!!!

... intake, exhaust; inhale, exhale... I love hearing the engine breath!

In the immortal words of Neil Peart... it's all "...mechanical music... adrenaline surge!"

I think the jury is still out on how effective Honda was in accomplishing the improved throttle response in the lower rpm thing judging by the number of people looking to "fix" or improve the throttle response to make it more ride-able.

IMHO most commercially available engineered equipment is a compromise between many factors... in this case government noise regulations, emissions, materials, manufacturing efficiency and costs, etc are not the least of which. I understand and appreciate what Honda was going for with the 5th gen air box set-up; I just have serious questions about it's efficacy.

... besides, when I start hearing my girl breathing heavy it does something to me :goofy:

Think about it, if the soul intent was decrease noise, that could have accomplished with a couple well placed baffles in the air box lid. The baffles would have done a better job of noise control at a 1/10 of the cost, not to mention a 1/10 of the weight!

Not trying to be rude, but funny, but in the great words of Aleksandar Živojinović, "Blah...blah,blah....blah,blah,blah....blah....blah,blah,blah blah!

1: Put a marble in both reed tubes to kill the valve-pairing system, or remove the entire valve-pairing and close them on both sides of the cylinderheads.

2: Remove the vacuum tube to the flapper-valve in the airbox and make sure the tube is airtight.

Yes it does, as it let air flow from the airbox to the exhaust and thus killing low RPM riding comfort, as well as power at low RPM.

can you explain more on what you mean by put a marble in the reed tubes and where there located, and what would be a good plug for the vaccum tube to make sure it's air tight

• Member Contributer

I removed my PAIR system simply for ease of maintenance. I noticed no difference in performance, but the decel popping is gone.

Other than that, the K&N, and the 2 Bros carbon can the engine is stock. Bike runs fine. Better to spend money on suspension as that is primarily where the 5th gen is lacking.

• Member Contributer

can you explain more on what you mean by put a marble in the reed tubes and where there located, and what would be a good plug for the vaccum tube to make sure it's air tight

You can remove the entire system in total.

But they are talking about having regular bike checks in Europe once a year.

Because of that I use marbles to block the reed-tubes so I can undo the blocking for the check (if needed) and put them back later, is less work then install the system again.

If the checks don't measure gasses, then I will remove the system for good.

The reed tubes are the thumb thick tubes at the outside of your cilinderhead and the are connected to a valve that is located just above your oil-cooler.

The third tube at this valve is connected to the airbox.

pair1.jpg

Either you remove the valve and 3 tubes and block all or simply put a marble in the 2 tubes that go to either cilinderhead at the exhaust side.

The inner tube on the cilinderhead looks the same but it the airflow between airbox and cilinder-vavles, don't block or remove that one.

Have a good read here: http://www.rc51.org/pair.htm

Marbles are simply far more easy to do and it's done in 30 minutes, where removing it entirely is far more work but saves weight.

It's the same on most injection-powered bikes, my sons CBR1000RR has the same and we removed it there too.

A marble mod looks like this:

115384d1222541982-marble-mod-marble-mod-

Simply put a kids playing marble in the tubes and connect it again, simple and effective.

gallery_554_564_41062.jpg

And:

Sent: Monday, 29 March 1999 5:20 PM

To: vfr@cs.wisc.edu

Subject: 800 snorkel dyno test (mostly data)

Hello list ...

Had the opportunity to do a back to back dyno test on the VFR800. We'll let

the numbers tell the story.

Dynojet Model 150 Chassis Dynamometer

Eastside Harley Davidson, Bellevue, Washington

DYNORUN #1, baseline, 4th gear roll-on - 3-27-99, 3:17PM

DYNORUN #5, no snorkel, 4th gear roll-on - 3-27-99, 3:22PM

DYNORUN #1 DYNORUN #5

RPM SAE hp SAE hp

3500 28.3 28.8

4000 32.1 31.7

4500 35.4 35.4

5000 39.8 40.3

5500 45.2 46.1

6000 54.4 55.3

6500 62.6 63.2

7000 69.6 69.9

7500 75.6 75.5

8000 81.1 information not available

8500 86.6 87.1

9000 90.0 91.0

9500 91.6 92.7

10000 93.2 93.8

10500 92.9 94.2

11000 90.3 91.6

11500 88.8 89.6

Magnifying the resolution of the 500 rpms nearest the hp peak follows

10000 93.2 93.8

10100 93.4 94.1

10200 93.5 94.3

10300 93.6 94.6

10400 93.3 94.6

10500 92.9 94.2

Magnifying the resolution of the 1000 rpm range nearest torque peak follows

RPM SAE ft-lb SAE ft-lb

8100 53.4 53.3

8200 53.4 53.4

8300 53.6 53.6

8400 53.6 53.7

8500 53.5 53.8

8600 53.4 53.8

8700 53.2 53.7

8800 53.0 53.6

8900 52.8 53.4

9000 52.5 53.1

Testing conditions: 29.66 in.Hg. absolute barometric pressure, Vapor

pressure .44 in. hg., ambient air temperature 49.5 deg. F. Partly cloudy.

All stock '98VFR800FI, 3,273 miles.

Subjective comment: Noticeably louder intake noise. Doesn't sound like a

sewing machine anymore. Changes the character of the engine. Feels raw,

sharper edged. I will be leaving the snorkel out for now.

Wayne Chan, WMRRA/OMRRA #326

• Member Contributer

What happened to runs 2,3,and 4?

I'm guessing if you started with "no snorkel" run #1, then put it back, by the 5th run you'd have higher numbers for "with snorkel". It just took 5 runs to heat up the oil.

Besides, it's a 5th gen, no VTEC.

looooooooooool oh man

I am so over this topic.

What happened to runs 2,3,and 4?

I'm guessing if you started with "no snorkel" run #1, then put it back, by the 5th run you'd have higher numbers for "with snorkel". It just took 5 runs to heat up the oil.

Besides, it's a 5th gen, no VTEC.

Not my bike, I have no idea. Just a repost from the old "Big Mailing List" on the .wisc.edu server.

Check the date, 29 March 1999

Archived