Another Airbox Mod Thread I Know.......but Whats The Best One To Do,01 Vfr800

Guest hollenbeck

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

So I checked my BMC for cracks or issues, was fine, little dry. Blew off the bugs, reoiled, no need to join the pipercross club yet. My snorkel was just cut flush on the front of the lid, removed it completely now along with the flapper/shelf that was just deactivated before, plugging the top hole. I also noticed at some point I had removed the casting or stress braces on the inside of the lid. Previously I had shimmed the tank front, will see how much more noise it creates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Has anyone run a snorkless box and then cut the lid wide open? Wondering if the acoustics of a gutted lid makes more noise than basically an open filter. My first ride today desnorkled and shelfless and she snorted for sure, for sure....

I want to fab up some sort of ram air intake and get a air/fuel gauge and do some street tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Also Maybe get some sort of data logging system.

• Member Contributer

I want to fab up some sort of ram air intake and get a air/fuel gauge and do some street tuning.

And Also Maybe get some sort of data logging system.

Pull the blinkers out and use the ports for air in intakes ..

• Member Contributer

A quick survey of the nearly disassembled vfr in my garage indicates that routing ram air tubes will be rather difficult. The proximity of the tank, frame, and radiators surrounding the air box location will make routing tubes of sufficient diameter nearly impossible without also scrapping the lower portion of the air box. The only route I can see is straight down the front of the air box and under the head tube. This location is problematic in that it must still remain narrow enough as to not foul the fork tubes at full lock. Not saying ram air is impossible, just that it might take a significant amount of engineering and fabricating to pull off a functional system.

• Member Contributer

Has anyone run a snorkless box and then cut the lid wide open? Wondering if the acoustics of a gutted lid makes more noise than basically an open filter. My first ride today desnorkled and shelfless and she snorted for sure, for sure....

Yes. It is so loud that I cannot tell if it my clutch slipping when I hammer the throttle or the rear wheel breaking loose while it wheelies. I may have to have a couple of spotters in case I need new clutch springs before TexasMac...

• Member Contributer

Clutch slippage, thats a good one... I did just change my oil. I hammered on it and the R's jumped to the moon! At this point I'm thinking tire spin, less than a mile into a colder ride. 20 miles later and closer to home it yanked a power wheelie in the upper R's that kinda shocked me. My mapping seems a happier, just going to have to get use to the sound, can't quite hear the rpm over the BUURRRRRRRRRRR! Was thinking the gutted lid amplified the sound, guess not then.

Edit: Forgot first ride w new plugs as well, might have added to the smoothness of things.

Yes!!! You read my mind! With some modern sport bike signal mirrors, such as a Gixxer etc...

I will do this right after finals!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Little update. So I have tested various configurations with the airbox, including deflapped then added cutting the snorkel flush front. Beginning of this season I went all out pulling the snorkel and also removing the flapper side shelf. Now I love the sound of power but this soon became a bit overwhelming, sometimes hollow sounding and yet it seemed to labor a bit more when lugging. If I spent all day near redline maybe it could be justified but I don't and I like hearing the rest of the bike. So I made yet another change that I and really happy with now and seems to be the strongest yet. I installed both the snork and flap shelf again but I cut them shorter. With this setup the incoming air has less of a hairpin to the front of the filter, but at the same time gives a little roar that is more in harmony with the rest of the bike, bringing that smile when you get on it without being obnoxious. Also have noticed better response when lugging compared to no snork/shelf. I have no proof other than my butt dyno but I thought it was worth sharing for those experimenting.

post-24095-0-49432600-1401007787.jpg

post-24095-0-97309800-1401007804.jpg

It looks like the 2008 cbr1000rr mirrors have signals in them. I wonder if they line up. Probably closer than Gixxer mirrors.

Has anyone who has performed this modification run his bike on a dyno before and after? If so, please post the charts.

The before and after, snorkel and flapper charts have been posted many times. The difference is negligible on an otherwise stock bike. +/-1 hp throughout the rpm range. Without supporting modifications it's just noise.

• Member Contributer

People spend alot of time and money just to make there bike sound different according to these threads, a free one to mess with doesn't hurt.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
I think my next mod to the air box will be to cover the entire air box with that stick thermo blanket stuff. Try to insulate the air box from the heat of the engine .

Like this?

bottom half of air box covered with insulation:

I did the bottom half of the air box today. Not sure I'll bother with the top which is pretty much getting enough cool air on it.

• Member Contributer

I don't see how removing the snorkle can cause water to enter the air box. The air box is under the tank, on top of the engine and behind the frame.It looks pretty protected to me besides where do you think the air for the flapper comes from if honda put the snorkle on the air box to keep out water wouldn't they have added one to the flapper as well?!

No water will enter the air box, mine has never had any water in it. It has been gone for almost 5 years..
There's no doubt that water enters the air box:

post-14465-0-09562800-1408282732.jpg

This photo was taken after a 9 day ride around Lake Superior that included gravel roads in the rain. The dirt and gravel dust covers the entire flapper shelf and snorkel innards and extended a bit around the inside of the lid of the air box. It's been cleaned which is why you only see the dirt in the not-easily-accessible parts.

After my ride around The Rock (Newfoundland) in 2012, I cleaned out fine gravel from around the air filter which was dragged in through the snorkel and de-flappered vent.

I'm sure Honda designed our bikes to handle some drops of water etc.

• Member Contributer

I went ahead and insulated the top of the air box too:
post-14465-0-59711600-1408286123.jpg

I'm planning to get a dyno tune for my Power Commander 3 and this seemed like a cheap and easy mod to help get cooler and hence more dense air into the air box.

• Member Contributer

I believe douglasthecook tried this too.

Donot recall him reporting any gains though...

• Member Contributer

There are no expected gains until I get my custom dyno tune for my PC3. It does look nice and spaceship like. For now it goes on the list of cheap cosmetic mods.

• Member Contributer

Plastic doesn't retain heat quite like metal, not sure thermal wrapping helps much in this case maybe if it was a longer track, think our in box heat soak is minimized.

Good luck on the dynotune, Bartman. One of the best mods I have done on my 2004. Post the chart when you're done.

Archived