Why Shouldn't I?

• Forum CEO

Guess the small tank size isn't an issue for everyone... 4 liters smaller than the 800.

Its not usually an issue but there are some places I ride across country where I ride that makes it a pain in the ass, across eastern Co and West Kansas its so damn windy I get barely 140 miles out of a tank and thats a problem, some places in Nevada its almost impossible to find gas in the range I need, gotta take more traveled routes - dont matter much most rides in Nevada sucks anyway, save a few well traveled routes. I can pretty much count on 160 miles if I am not reving the piss out of it and its not an all day wind fest.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess the small tank size isn't an issue for everyone... 4 liters smaller than the 800.

Its not usually an issue but there are some places I ride across country where I ride that makes it a pain in the ass, across eastern Co and West Kansas its so damn windy I get barely 140 miles out of a tank and thats a problem, some places in Nevada its almost impossible to find gas in the range I need, gotta take more traveled routes - dont matter much most rides in Nevada sucks anyway, save a few well traveled routes. I can pretty much count on 160 miles if I am not reving the piss out of it and its not an all day wind fest.

There's more to that ECM change than meets the eye it would appear (howdy, Miguel - long time no see)

A tenth of a gallon wouldn't account for the differences between the 2010 reports I read and what I've been getting.

I am consistently getting mid 40's and don't get a fuel light until 180-190 miles. If I beat on it, then I can surely get piss poor mileage, but touring across the state and flogging it down to Deckers are different scenarios. I've gone over 200 miles several times - have accumulated just shy of 8,000 miles in the first two months...

Got my Husqvarna sorted and have been spending more time on it offroad and on.

I bought my 2010 VFR 1200 FDA a couple of months ago with some trepidation having ridden bikes for the last 49 yrs that have had a clutch lever and gear shift.

I'm now used to it (2.5K miles to date) and love it!! I had my local Honda dealer do a software update on the engine & transmission ecu's and straight away noticed a difference...much smoother and lost the 'clunking' of the transmission when changing from 1st to 2nd. I tend to ride in 'manual' most of the time and find it has seamless changes all the way through the box.

Have'nt found a road locally where I can 'test' the sport mode properly, the only times I have tried this mode, I've hit 'licence losing' speeds without getting into 4th! I think its probably almost as fast as my Blackbird was. Petrol wise, I've been swapping and changing between regular & premium without any noticeable difference in performance but a noticeable difference in cost (Reg 137.9p per Itr, Prem 142.9p per Itr here in UK). I'm getting about 140-150 miles before the last band starts flashing and I've then found theres about 1.5 - 2 ltrs left in the tank.

The one thing I do find difficult is slow manoeuvring, eg figure of eight at walking pace, I'm having to practice controlling the speed with the back brake instead of a combination of clutch slipping, throttle and brake (probably showing my age here).

All in all, IMO a great bike.

Archived