My Build

• Member Contributer

Jamie's forks are da bomb! Still need to play with preload some as I don't know the ideal sag on this bike. We are at 34/35mm and I don't remember what on the rear, maybe 30mm. But she's nice and stiff now, proper. Jamie's forks aren't Ohlins but they are pretty damn good and at $350 revalved and resprung, just pull the trigger. Worth every penny. You should be breaking your hands and whiteknuckling it to get them off your bike and in the mail to Jamie Charles.

Thanks for the report luvtoleanit, I've been waiting for a review of Jamie's work on a relevant bike. I'll be pulling my suspension soon.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Really good info in your post and quite enjoyed your journey to attain VFR 1200 perfection. Won't tackle everything you did but the Don G re-flash looks like a winner based on all the postings, in addition to yours. Soon as the bike goes away for the winter I'll send Don my ECU so it can be released from the sad confines of its restrictions. We'll just keep the wife's ECU where it is and see if my 70 pound weight differential penalty and 2010 ECU version will allow me to now keep up? The thought it all just comes down to superior skills on her part is a bridge I continue to put off crossing by investing in superior technology.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Jamie's forks are da bomb! Still need to play with preload some as I don't know the ideal sag on this bike. We are at 34/35mm and I don't remember what on the rear, maybe 30mm. But she's nice and stiff now, proper.

That's my review for now. Few other things. The Ohlins rear raises it up some out back which was a welcomed change. If I had my way I'd bump it up a few more mm but I'm content.:

I'm on the same path for most of your mods and am looking at suspension now. Going DMr on the forks and shock, but was curious about ride height. What factors drove you to raising the rear? PM sent.

luvtoleanit Don has resolved the top speed limiter. Send it back if you want it removed. I dyno tested the 2nd re-flash Don did to remove the speed limiter and my bike ran all the way to the 11,100 RPM limiter in 5th & 6th gears.

Jamie's forks are da bomb! Still need to play with preload some as I don't know the ideal sag on this bike. We are at 34/35mm and I don't remember what on the rear, maybe 30mm. But she's nice and stiff now, proper.

That's my review for now. Few other things. The Ohlins rear raises it up some out back which was a welcomed change. If I had my way I'd bump it up a few more mm but I'm content.:

I'm on the same path for most of your mods and am looking at suspension now. Going DMr on the forks and shock, but was curious about ride height. What factors drove you to raising the rear? PM sent.

the ohlins shock length is adjustable ...here is instructions and specs

post-23916-0-36938100-1413219787.jpg

post-23916-0-38011600-1413219800.jpg

• Member Contributer

Uh, ok, thanks. I get that the Ohlins shock is adjustable and that alters geometry. But moving beyond Suspension 101 for a moment, I asked lutoleanit why he decided a geometry change is needed on his Gen7. I, like others, have concluded the suspension on my Gen7 needs work. Trying to to understand if that needs to include geometry changes as well. I'd like to hear it from someone who has done it on this bike specifically. I'm reluctant to start altering geometry as this affects shaft angle.

the ohlins shock length is adjustable ...here is instructions and specs

Are you sure? My Ohlins shock (2-3 years old) has no lenght adjustment. The manual is same for all and that is why it has that text.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Looks very nice. Must feel good to have it done.

I see you have the Kaoko throttle lock...and recall you had HeliBars. Any issue getting then Kaoko into the HeliBar end? Did you sweat it in?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So... who else wants one of those decat pipes made? :P

She's a rocket bro. I'm starting to think this is probably the best bike I've ever owned. I've got a lot of $ in my planker but the VFR is more capable because it can do more roles. Rode it on T-Day to the country for the family deal. High speed cruising is better than anything I've owned. 90-100 feels like 75-80MPH on the R1. Super stable. And she turns as well as a suspended liter bike, she's just a bigger girl.

I think after going through the mods that the bike needs $1100 in it. $650 for shock and fork rebuild via Jamie at DMR. Guhl's ECU flash, and ZG's double bubble. Those are the biggest and most necessary improvements. The other stuff is optional. It's a night and day difference to me, not even the same bike.

Remember zombie, before flash tune came along ECUnleashed was $350 for ecu flashing, or $400 for the R1. The VFR isn't a volume bike like the R1.

My VFR is some high quality rearsets away from perfection. Hopefully someone makes some soon.

Oh I've come to terms with the fact that the R1 mods are always going to be cheaper, and more choices....

The lack of a thrilling exhaust note is my biggest frowny face about the VFR right now, well that and the ECU being crippled by Honda... I'll be putting my play pennies into an ECU flash before spring. I'm not so concerned about the suspension for now, as the prairies have no corners or hills :(

I'm going to approach the machinists at the military unit I work with and see if they can come up with anything for rearsets :P

• Member Contributer

That exhaust note changes a bit when you pipe it, more so once the cat comes off. Nice and throaty. I'd prefer the 90 degree V4 sound (a la VFR800) but this one still sounds good and infinitely better than an inline 4. Comes off the corners like a proper V4 and that's all that matters.

I think after going through the mods that the bike needs $1100 in it. $650 for shock and fork rebuild via Jamie at DMR. Guhl's ECU flash, and ZG's double bubble.

Why the double bubble? I'm about 5' 11" and I've had other bikes where I've hated the windscreen due to buffeting... but with the VFR I get nothing but clean air. Does the double bubble just get your head out of the air stream (and I assume without giving you double vision from the buffeting)?

Archived