My Build

• Member Contributer

Talked to Jamie via email and he's working on my forks as I type.

Bodywork, top box, and panniers are at my painters and that will be painted next week.

Don got my ECU back to me pretty fast.

I'm running out of patience. As soon as this stuff is ready it's still gonna be a month before the bike is ready to tune :(

Must have patience.................

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forks are back from Jamie. Look good to go.

92F3F3D3-6BCC-4365-9F58-5820C16F23E5_zps

Yup... I knew it... Those stickers look a little crooked. Better save yourself the embarrassment and send those forks my way.

But seriously. I cant wait to hear what you think. I talked with Jamie a while back, but due to my current financial situation, I'm going to have to wait on buying more bike stuff.... so I'm going to have to live vicariously through you.

• Member Contributer

Been there dude. I'm years behind. Have to get the bikes done as the house projects are looming and they make bike mods look like peanuts :(

I originally was going to do Ohlins inserts, modified to fit by Dan Kyle but I got convinced of Jamie's work. Will probably be a month before I get to throw a leg over it. Jamie's fork solution is very value priced. A fraction of what you could spend.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Kory is making some progress.

Pair covers installed.

87AF5127-6AB4-4F88-8A91-A21DA12DECAA_zps

8390CB2E-45B5-4872-BED7-7B1BF1B13A31_zps

Gold Teef!

C2004B0C-005B-4153-9AEB-FC8FA3647A80_zps

680F5066-3EB6-4850-9956-3057F05CBA84_zps

Rear hugger. PM'd hvfrdave to see if the OEM hugger, well if there is going to be issues with the Ohlins bracket and the hugger touching. Check your PM's dude!

D15EEBF8-4A92-4CEC-B2BB-188B9B5B7720_zps

Thurn's suspension links.

FE94BA98-C113-4D47-87DC-E4DA54655460_zps

Talk about jacking up the rear! Was supposed to be a 20mm rise, this is more like 32mm!!!!!!! Need to get a hold of Thurn

D18ADDF6-C43A-48BC-827E-C20B017BEF0C_zps

Rear carrier back on, with a missing cover, which is driving me nuts! (Can't find a replacement, Honda doesn't sell them!)

0C96B1FD-7293-4DAC-9251-57BCD4102B08_zps

PC5/Autotune wired in.

7DFA5BF8-CD36-4CBC-94C4-98724BD0D54A_zps

Switch for autotune off/on

31E76458-00E9-4733-9259-349B2B6B5831_zps

more to come later. Got my pearl white bodywork back from the painters!

• Member Contributer

Had to pull the Thurn suspension link....it was designed for the stock shock, not Ohlins. Kory put it back together with the stock link so we could check sag and numbers look OK. Got to test the Sargent and it's pretty cool. Big improvement over stock.

AD6B1A28-8977-489E-8063-5D4402FF9469_zps

• Member Contributer

Is it possible that aftermarket shocks for the VFR1200F are a bit longer than the stock item? I recently had a Hyperpro shock installed, and although I have not yet set the sag, the rear end seems noticably higher than usual. This is pure speculation of course, I have not measured anything at this point...

• Member Contributer

Is it possible that aftermarket shocks for the VFR1200F is a bit longer than the stock item? I recently had a Hyperpro shock installed, and although I have not yet set the sag, the rear end seems noticably higher than usual. This is pure speculation of course, I have not measured anything at this point...

Yes sir. The Ohlins is +8mm compared to stock.

Stock, the rear is too low IMO. A quick check to see if your Hyperpro is longer is to put the bike on the sidestand. If you notice that it leans a little farther on the kickstand then that is the tell-tale sign if you didn't measure.

+8 is plenty for me. +5mm would have been sufficient, but +8 is even better. I can't wait until the cat is cut so I can get a map made and start riding it. All it is waiting on is that and to wire the Autotune in, put the bodywork on, and she's done. Well, at least until someone finally makes some rearsets for this thing.

Once you ride with your new suspension you may find that rearsets are not necessary. Stiffer springs in the front and a Penske on back and I no longer scrape pegs. It worked well for my ride!

• Member Contributer

Once you ride with your new suspension you may find that rearsets are not necessary. Stiffer springs in the front and a Penske on back and I no longer scrape pegs. It worked well for my ride!

I figured as much but I would still like them. Thurn's footpegs don't fit despite what he says. I'm tired of adjusting riding position and boots bring the stock footpegs up, quite alarming. I'd like them up just a hair and definitely back. Nobody makes them though so it's moot.

my vfr has been running a little hot, only on 3rd bar but throwing a lot of heat at my inner thigh and through the seat...i suspect the ohlins bracket is blocking a lot of airflow...(installed ohlins over this past winter) ...did this with a punch press at my buddy's shop....let's see if this helps at all

post-23916-0-07665000-1406291756.jpgpost-23916-0-74015300-1406291771.jpg

it was 10 F cooler today (81 F) but it did feel like it helps....i've had the bike 3 years now and it has normally run at 2 bars on the temp gauge, bumping between 2 and 3 bars on hot days...it always was toasty around the right ankle but now it stayed at 3 bars and the heat was coming up toward my right thigh and the seat....it never did this even on 100F days...the right frame rail was almost too hot to touch....i suspect that that area is important to the cooling, acting like a chimney flue to create a draft to pull the heat out

These things DO run hot on the right side, and the frame rail is definitely something to stay away from in warm weather! We had a fast run up in temperatures on Saturday, and there I was out in 100 degree weather, and believe me- not enjoying it at all! Definitely not on the lower right leg- the worst spot. Pulled in and got a bite, and fortunately a off shore wind started coming in- dropped the temps to about 90- made a huge difference- almost digital- in comfort. I'd be surprised to hear you were uncomfortable in 81F weather, but then, I'd hazard that 70 would be a lot nicer.... like when I started out Saturday AM!

Archived