My Build

• Member Contributer

First mods are done with more to come this week. Gonna document my build in this thread if that is OK with HS.

Leo Slip is on but I still need to remove the decal as it will just peel up over time.

4308D8A0-3FBD-4953-8CA4-09E6532D4168-897

Rear carrier:

C97ED009-705B-4275-ADD8-6AEEA30B04DC-897

Hopefully more to come later today!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Honda rear rack looks stout.

I've always liked LV SBK. Had them on my RSVR Factory. Great looking and sounding cans. It would've been my choice for the Viffer, if mine didn't already come with aftermarket pipe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

She's back together for now.

RAM radar mount.

B6D82EB3-A2E5-43D1-9FEF-7297C78B05B8-667

Sits on top of an Adaptiv technologies control mount.

4429724A-984C-4139-BFFD-868A263C002D-667

Got another to mount the phone for GPS. Still need to find some bolts for my x-grip.

19A0D74A-4117-41BB-98FA-6622B7C75837-667

USB power for the phone.

752F9504-2517-4CD7-BAAA-670F08EAC434-667

Heated grips and ASV levers.

84EE4FBD-AEF2-467F-AAB0-0084830597AA-667

Helibars spread wide.

8B9590A5-215E-4908-A5CF-0CC38E8D1F64-667

12v for heated gear under the seat.

9C728368-E7D4-441F-B972-05F2B32EEAD7-667

Cox radiator guard.

F6377C36-EB60-4D46-BCCD-88E2122ABE2B-667

Puig Screen.

A317D175-B986-4349-9BB3-584BEB653190-667

Frame sliders courtesy of EhViffer. (Thank you again)

6E908ED6-1F38-4529-A8A3-2739D15231F7-667

Leo badge removed.

9F6BC0CA-62AB-4EF3-8493-0AFBB4CF21D6-667

Stage 1 done. Thanks to briandor for the top box.

092BEA38-CC67-4C5B-997D-EECE24539992-667

Suspension and paint next..........

Nice setup so far. I just bought ASV brake lever too. I usually go with ebay CNC levers, which all work well enough, but the VFR is just too nice not to splurge a little.

• Member Contributer

Looks great!!

Forgot to thank you above for the wiring help. We figured out, on the quarter harness, that all 3 ports were 12v switched so it didn't matter which power source you hooked up to which!

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Do you have anything new on the bike? It looks great so far...

• Member Contributer

Waiting on November to get here (colder temps so I can pull it off the road).

Slated is a full paint job (pearl sunbeam white, painting luggage also) with clearcoat.

Ohlins Rear Shock

Thurn Rear Suspension Link

Sending OEM forks to Daughtery Motorsports

Sending headers to HVFRDave in the UK for the decat

Power Commander 5

Autotune

ECU Flash (or hopefully some wire clipping instead if someone figures it out)

Sargent Seat

and maybe a Brembo master cylinder (RCS) with SS lines

That's a little over $4k so I'm still saving.................

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Ordered today:

Ohlins Rear Shock

Thurn Motorsports Rear Suspension Link (+20mm)

Thurn Motorsports Adjustable footpegs

PC5

Autotune Module

ECU (Guhl), forks(Jamie), and seat (Sargent) to be sent off next week.

Pull all fairings off for painting and bags separated for painting the week after.

I won't be doing a before/after dyno but I will posts dyno results once we've cut the cat off, put the flashed ECU back in and tuned it.

June 1 is my target date for completion but that is optimistic.

• Member Contributer

Yep, that's at my buddy's shop. That damn thing is finally finished (took a year) but the owner of it has some medical problems (kidney stuff) and it hasn't moved.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Well finally got started after a long wait.

Forks are gone to jamie.

ECU is off to Don.

Seat is at Sargent.

Not a huge list of stuff but doing decat with PC5 and autotune, ECU flash, Ohlins shock install with Thurn suspension link, modified forks by Daugherty motorsports, new footpegs from Thurn, pair removal, servo removal, painting all the candy apple red bodywork white.....and painting my luggage silver. I'd like to say it'll be done by the end of June but no idea. Just happy to get started!

D2B15B30-230D-4AD6-B8CA-9DBEF03A5DE3_zps

• Member Contributer

Very interested in how the suspension turns out. I'm beginning to notice the limitations now I've gotten used to riding mine a bit more.

Did have a few questions. Notice you have HeliBars and Honda heated grips...any issue getting the left grip on? Also, how the heck you get all the accessories mounted on the bars and get clearance...must've been lots of tweaking going on there. I don't think you'd get any of it to clear a factory adjustable windscreen.

Any consideration to throttle locks? I've thought of starting a HeliBar-Heated Grip-Throttle lock thread 'cause it's been a PITA.

• Member Contributer

Lots of tweaking, yes, PITA!

Throttle lock, thanks for reminding me. I had it picked out but hadn't pulled the trigger. Probably because I rarely slab. I have no use for it locally but might need it for the Hog Tie and might needing it is good enough to buy it :goofy:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kaoko-throttle-lock-honda-cbr1000rr-cbr600rr-cb599-vfr1200

Throttle lock, thanks for reminding me. I had it picked out but hadn't pulled the trigger. Probably because I rarely slab. I have no use for it locally but might need it for the Hog Tie and might needing it is good enough to buy it :goofy:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kaoko-throttle-lock-honda-cbr1000rr-cbr600rr-cb599-vfr1200

Currious what you think of the Kaoko lock. I've got the BrakeAway throttle lock and while a neat idea, the locking mechanism has released by itself on more than one occasion... and the silver color sticks out like a sore thumb.

IMG_20130723_215930_zpsd6e710c5.jpg

First one I got was a Go Cruise from ebay. It's the one that has an adjustable tension screw, not to be confused with another one with the same GO Cruise name that doesn't have the screw.

The adjustable tension works very well to get the grip just right, and I can adjust it while riding. The only thing I don't like about it was the lack of a thumb return. I just noticed they have now come out with a Go Cruise 2 with the thumb return added. Price is now about $30, so I ended up getting the Omni-Cruise so both my bikes have throttle locks. The extra money is well worth it IMHO.

I will post some pics when I get a chance.

$_35.JPGmVqqPPIcvZ8Tg5HqwI2k7bg.jpg$T2eC16ZHJHEE9ny2sYIJBQluUQIRMg~~60_35.J

• Member Contributer

Currious what you think of the Kaoko lock. I've got the BrakeAway throttle lock and while a neat idea, the locking mechanism has released by itself on more than one occasion... and the silver color sticks out like a sore thumb.

Probably going to be a long while before I have any opinion of it. knowing how build process works, it'll be late July some time. My tuner is 60 miles away from my house so that will be the first time I get to use it.

• Member Contributer

Tried both Omni and Go Cruise. Have a Vista and Kaoko. The old-style Vista works great on my Gen 4, very simple, locks/unlocks with a natural thumb motion without moving your hand. Go Cruise slipped constantly, Omni you could adjust that out. However, both eat up precious grip space and make it a bit cumbersome getting to the switch controls, at least on the DCT.

Haven't figured how to adapt the Vista yet. The issue is the heated grips. The Vista fits between the throttle housing and grip rubber. It is necessary to trim the rubber of the grip, but the heater wires are right there...would require precision trimming as a minimum. Still pondering the sitch.

The Kaoko lock works on the stock bars, but the engagement off/on is awkward IMO, and you have to manually engage/disengage by rolling your hand at the bar end, though you can always rotate the grip either way to adjust, it stays locked but not too tightly. So, assuming I can't get the standard Vista to work (not the Universal, which looks bush-league), I'm stuck with Kaoko. Now the rub!! The friggin HeliBars are 0.004" over on OD, and the same under on ID compared to the stock bars...grrrr! Thus, it is a zero clearance fit with the OD of the Kaoko - WTF? So now I'm looking at lathing down the OD of the 2-piece compression clamp mechanism to get it to fit. Of course, it's made of steel, so also need to think of ways to prevent internal corrosion once it's fitted up. OBTW, Kaoko recommends using the stock bar end screw, but it's too short to fully engage the threads. The screw they provide is long enough, but is a zinc SHCS, not close in appearance to the black FH factory screw. Oh yeah, you need to remove the inner damping weight from the bar, or jam it in further to allow the Kaoko into the bar end.

luvtoleanit,

Of course, the HeliBars being oversized made it a bitch to get the left grip on...which is why I wondered how you got yours on. That's a whole nuther story.

• Member Contributer

crackerjac,

You may actually have enough room to get the Vista between your grip and throttle housing judging from your photo. The challenge is to get the anti-rotation tabs somewhere they engage, but allow the thumb lever to be where you want it.

Archived