Are 3Rd And 4Th Gen Front Wheel Interchangeable?

I have a 93 and my brother has a 95. But my wheels are white and his are black, and we each want to try the opposite color combination.

before I start swapping front wheels, does anyone know if they will be 100 percent interchangeable? I am mostly thinking about how the rotors will line up to the calipers

• Member Contributer

I am pretty sure they are the same, I have used 3rd gen forks on my 4th gen so if they are different I do not know how :wacko: , I have had no problems.

Thanks guys, that's all I needed to hear.

Maybe we will get them swapped in the next few days and get some pics. Right now his black rear is on my RWB 91 and it looks pretty badass. :) still won't run worth a crap, but it looks good. sigh...

• Member Contributer

Remember that the spacers are DIFFERENT right and left....

Do not ask how I know.... :wacko:

Not sure if the brake rotors have different diameters, but if they do, they might not share disc mounting bolt circle dimensions.

The rotors on a 3rd gen wheel are rigidly mounted to the wheel while the 4th gen has floating rotors on bobbins.

The forks and calipers seem to be identical between the two generations though.....

Later 4th gen, (96 and 97) fork legs do not have the fork fluid drain bolt at the bottom. that is also present on the 3rd gens.

Both have 41mm diameter fork tubes. The 4th gen has a cartridge fork internal design, while the 3rd gen has an older conventional piston design.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I am not certain the rotors will line up between the existing calipers but they definitely do NOT share disc mounting holes as the 3rd gen are solid discs and the 4th gen and subsequent models have floating rotors.

We are about to swap a 4th gen front end (complete) onto a 3rd gen...

The 4th gen does not only have floating rotors, the rotors are also dished/offset. The rotor bolt spacing is also different so even if you wanted to, you can not swap rotors. You have to swap the wheel with rotors and spacers. Fork spacing, fork lowers and calipers are the same between the 3rd and 4th gen so they should also have the same rotor spacing.

• Member Contributer
The 4th gen has a cartridge fork internal design, while the 3rd gen has an older conventional piston design.

(Not true. All have cartridges. '90-'91 have no external adjusters at all; '92-'97 are adjustable for preload, only. Don't feel bad, though, all of the magazine reviews at the time were wrong, too!)

I believe the 3rd-gen rotors are nominally 5mm thick, while the 4th-gen rotors are nominally 4mm thick. I once test-fit a 4th-gen wheel onto my 3rd-gen (before all the fork swappage nonsense!) and everything seemed to line up, but I've never run it that way. They are the same OD.

Personally, I abhor the fixed-rotor look, so I'd never make this swap!

Ciao,

• 3 months later...

I have a 90 and 96 VFR and swap the rims back & forth so I don't have to buy 2 sets of tires.

Rims swap fine as long as you swap the rims with rotors as a unit.

• 2 months later...

I have a 93 and my brother has a 95. But my wheels are white and his are black, and we each want to try the opposite color combination. before I start swapping front wheels, does anyone know if they will be 100 percent interchangeable? I am mostly thinking about how the rotors will line up to the calipers

If you need a spare front wheel for your '93 (fixed rotors), I'll sell you the old front wheel from my 1992 for postage plus enough to cover a pizza & brewski. It's identical to your 1993 except it's a dark grey color, ready for the paint of your choice.

I replaced the whole front end of mine with the forks, wheel, and brakes from a 1996. Easy swap between the 3rd and 4th generation if you do everything all at once.

Funny, people look at my bike and think there's something unique about it, but they never identify that the wheels are different colors.

Archived