Confusing Electrical Problem.

So i was warming up the viffer for the trip to work one day. She started up fine, got to about 2800RPM (so about 30 seconds before i woiuld turn the choke off and let it idle until i took off) and out of nowhere, the thing dies. go to turn the key again and non of the idiot lights or backlights turn on. My first though, check bettery! I do so and its fine. maybe i fried a part of the electrical system. for the other first question yes, the R/R is fairly new. She has about 4500 miles on her. any suggestions to find a quick solution?

Thanks guys in advance :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

^^^ +1

Regardless on the status, I cannot say enough about an onboard voltmeter and the VFRness. IMO, the piece of mind the VFRness provides is well worth the money, and the voltmeter for realtime reading is invaluable.

• Member Contributer

With a failed RR and a good battery, the bike would run long enough to strand you somewhere inconvenient. Even with the RR disconnected, the bike will run so I don't think that is your problem right now. That doesn't mean I have any useful suggestions.

Before you tear into the fairing, I'd review a wiring diagram and see what effects what is lacking. We know your missing idiot lights etc., do you have blinkers, horn, brake lights? Unless the harness decided to universally commit harry carry, there is a common thread that is causing your situation. Could be a bad ground or shorted out wire somewhere, but matching the diagram with the harness should help focus your search.

Hope this helps!

Archived