Cbr Coil Upgrade?

tomk1960

• Member Contributer

I was wondering if anyone has tried using CBR600 coils on a VF1000F. This is a very common, inexpensive, and effective upgrade on the early '80's Super Sports, and since I have the tank and carbs off right now, this would be a good time to do it. You can get these used on eBay for a reasonable price and they usually come with the wires. I'm not sure the wires will be long enough for the front plugs though.

Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Finishing up my stick coil mod now. I had it briefly hooked up last year to see if it would even run. Ran and idled fine for the short time I had it running. Swapped back the stock coils cause I was going on a trip and didn't want to experiment too far from home. It's not as simple as it looks but do-able. There's talk of burning things up and dwell time and all that but I'm just going to see if it works or not. Buddy of mine has been running them on his '86 Connie for 10k miles with no hiccups and it has basically the same ignition system as my R so...I'll let you know.

• Member Contributer

I upgraded to CBR coils on both my 900F and 1100F. Both bikes run great and the difference was noticeable. I just compared primary and secondary coil resistance specs between the CB1100F and VF1000F coils and the values are identical. I'll do a little more research, but it looks like CBR coils may be a nice upgrade for small change.

• Member Contributer

Yep, the resistance is within spec from my research. The problem with the VF is the plug opening is wide open, leaving the coil to move around. Plus, even with short sticks, they stick up into the radiator. I'll show you my work-arounds in another thread. Shouldn't be more than a few days.

A nice set of Accels will do the same thing without the other mods needed but I thought it would be something to try. A custom bike is never done!

• 1 year later...

Guys,

Sorry to refloat this post, but I am having severe trouble with my old coils, and I´m thinking on going this way. Could any of you show us how you connected the pencil coils to the VF1000R coil cables? I don´t want to get the firing order upset!

Many thanks!

Carlos

I am considering using pencil coils from a 2000 CBR 600 F4. Code is Denso 129700-3881

Cheers.

Carlos

• Member Contributer

Guys,

Sorry to refloat this post, but I am having severe trouble with my old coils, and I´m thinking on going this way. Could any of you show us how you connected the pencil coils to the VF1000R coil cables? I don´t want to get the firing order upset!

Many thanks!

Carlos

You'll have to get creative with the radiator fans, the front coils will interfere. I was going to scrap my stock fans anyway so I switched to single Spal slim fan.

You'll have to make your own wiring harness usig the CBR's connectors. If I recall, the wiring looked something like this...but reverse the blue and yellow if it's wrong.

ff4ca2a0-49c0-463c-afb9-835799b4163a_zps

Here's what I did...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/75150-modern-stick-coilscoil-on-plug-on-my-r/

Thank you Kel. Your original post was my inspiration to ove forward this way. I also chose the CBR600 coils as they are a bit shorter. I will play with the fans to see how I can fit it.

Many thanks, again, for the scheme.

Cheers.

Carlos

Guys,

As an intermediate step, I´ve replaced my (very) tired original coils for a set of CBR600F2 (2000) coils. Reference MP-08. Widely available, and dirty cheap. I got my set, complete with wires, for $12. Work a treat!

There´s a little fabrication involved, as a bracket is needed. Coils are shorter than the original.

Once the big VFkR is back on the road, I can now focus on the real project; switching to the "pencil coils".

Cheers

Carlos

• Member Contributer

Guys,

As an intermediate step, I´ve replaced my (very) tired original coils for a set of CBR600F2 (2000) coils. Reference MP-08. Widely available, and dirty cheap. I got my set, complete with wires, for $12. Work a treat!

There´s a little fabrication involved, as a bracket is needed. Coils are shorter than the original.

Once the big VFkR is back on the road, I can now focus on the real project; switching to the "pencil coils".

Cheers

Carlos

Carlos - please post pics when you get this wrapped up - I'd like to do it myself at some point in the near future. $12 for a full set of coils and wires was a steal! Are all the wires long enough? I thought the wires you need for the front plugs are longer than any of the stock wires that come with the CBR coils.

Keep us posted!

• 2 years later...

Well.. one more refloat for me here.

One of the "regular" CBR600 coils I swapped the original ones with, back in 2014, has now given up. Symptoms were random failure of fuel pump, fuel pump stopped altogether, and finally, no ignition on those 2 cyls. (bike is a 1984 VF1000R)

So now I have all 4 stick coils, all 4 coil connectors and one 4-way sealed connector; so I am planning to do the stick coil conversion this weekend. I´ll try to post pics one I´m done.

Kel, just for clarity, and regarding wiring, the way you did it is just a question of wiring one to the other (coils). Polarity is not important. Right? 

Best regards. 

Kel, sorry... just one more question. If I read your above diagram correctly, a yellow and a black should reach coil 1 and 3 or is it a yellow to coil 1 and a black to coil 3, and then 1-3 connected together? 

It makes my mid dizzy!

Cheers.

Carlos

On 6/1/2017 at 5:56 PM, Carlitox33 said:

Kel, just for clarity, and regarding wiring, the way you did it is just a question of wiring one to the other (coils). Polarity is not important. Right? 

No, polarity IS important !

On 6/1/2017 at 5:56 PM, Carlitox33 said:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived