Vnr? Wtf! Nr750 Replica

Euro.............. ex 21% VAT....................

so unless Andreas is filthy rich (in which case he would have bought a NR..), OEM 4th Gen clockwork it is..... :goofy:

You are quite right! (In both cases... :-)

But I will spice the meter case with 3D carbon fiber-film.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in swedish: sikket arbete :D får ta den neråt längre fram o visa på svenska vfr träffen.

English: What a project. You gotta come and show it on the swedish vfr-meet

• 3 weeks later...

About time for an update, yes?

It is not always you are in control of your own time...especially if you have three children... :-)

I have been working quite a bit with geting the right position of the front fairing.

Dutchy has again supplied me with pictures and measures from a NR, thanks!!

The fairing has also been subject to plastic surgery in order to get rid of the "horns" on the sides.

post-26810-0-17429500-1375642798.jpg

VFR Clockwork is squeezed in between fairing and yoke, not the best angle but I think the visibility will be OK.

post-26810-0-47704400-1375642814.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of progress!

(but not as much as I hoped for...this is going to be a long runner!)

Headlights has now got the correct shape.

I used pieces of sheet plastic and epoxy.

post-26810-0-96945900-1376889315.jpg

This is after a few layers of makeup.

post-26810-0-88872600-1376889333.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

…Filler…sanding…more filler…sanding…etc. etc. :schla15:

I´m working with getting the edges around the headlight nice and even. Takes a fair share of time…but I´m still not satisfied with the result.

post-26810-0-13529600-1378098800.jpg

Front fairing has now got air-ducts!

I cut a plastic tube in low angle and made a elliptical hole in the fairing. Glued with epoxy from the inside = air ducts! Need filler though…

Testing-testing.

I just had to see how that huge NR rear end looks like on the bike.

post-26810-0-48936500-1378099056.jpg

It really is fat!

Even for a 90´s bike. (Out of scale for 21:st century bikes…)

But I love it! :cool:

• Member Contributer

Probably an optical illusion but the left headlight opening (right one as you look at it) ilooks narrower from top to bottom and side to side from the other. It's really apparent at the bottom of the middle divider. It also seems to taper up more on the side near the vent. Once you get one the way you like it, make a template and flip it to get the other one the same. This area is a key factor in the NR look and once headlights are in, any variation will stick out like a sore thumb.

Of course, this could all be my tired eyes, in which case, disregard above.

You're making good headway, can't wait to see the finished product and thanks for sharing.

You are (unfortunately) quite right Kel.

That is the reason for all that filler- sanding-filler sanding…

I have a template, so I´m working in small steps to make all the radius alike on both sides. (or at least trying)

But I realize this is impossible to get a good result when working on free hand. So I will try to use cylindrical objects covered with sand paper to get the corners radius right.

• Member Contributer

You are (unfortunately) quite right Kel.

That is the reason for all that filler- sanding-filler sanding…

I have a template, so I´m working in small steps to make all the radius alike on both sides. (or at least trying)

But I realize this is impossible to get a good result when working on free hand. So I will try to use cylindrical objects covered with sand paper to get the corners radius right.

I probably spoke too soon then. Not my intent to bust balls just thought I'd throw that out there before you got too far along. Sounds like you have a good handle on it. This will be the envy of more than a few members here I suspect. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

…Filler…sanding…more filler…sanding…etc. etc. :schla15:

Most people never appreciate how much work projects like this are . . . 90% (or more) preparation and 10% paint and assembly. But the results are always so worth it . . . and really satisfying.

But I love it! :cool:

Totally agree!

I probably spoke too soon then. Not my intent to bust balls just thought I'd throw that out there before you got too far along. Sounds like you have a good handle on it. This will be the envy of more than a few members here I suspect. :fing02:

No worries! Your observations were totally correct.

Opinions and comments is allways welcome, to get them was one good reason to start this thread!

Thanks Kel!

Some real progress this weekend!

Headlight problem is about to be resolved!

post-26810-0-57098800-1378722829.jpg

This has been a major issue.

VFR headlight is way too big, and to fit xenon lights will probably not be accepted by Bilprovningen (mandatory technical inspection that is due every other year)

So I have been looking for bikes with small/low-wide headlights.

I brought my fairing to a local breaker and tested different headlights.

This Yamaha-headlight was close to perfect. Just to remove of the clear lens and there you go!

post-26810-0-40037400-1378722841.jpg

When I´m done with the light openings I´ll make a clear cover to the headlight that fit the fairing.

(I will not get the projector-lens as the real NR…but again…you can´t get everything)

About the light openings (eyes):

I have measures and pictures, but the result did not look quite right…so I visited the shop here in Stockholm that has a genuine NR (in a glass cage)

Then I realized that the top line of the “eyes” is not straight, it is curved down a bit towards the center divider.

So I went filler-sanding-filler-sanding some more:

A small change that made a great difference! (the difference is more obvious in reality than on this picture)

post-26810-0-81063200-1378722872.jpg

Now it got a angry look instead of surprised.

Much better. just need some fine tuning. More filler-sanding…

I also started to work with merging the NR rear end with VFR side panels (to get a nice connection with the VFR tank)

post-26810-0-60325700-1378722862.jpg

Almost impossible to know where to start, so I used the cutter with the finesse of a drunk butcher…and of course I cut too much so start with…ooops.

After a number of cuts I ended up with a couple of wounded VFR-panels that will be cemented to the NR-end with fiberglass & polyester on the inside.

• Member Contributer

Nice work! That's awesome you found a light to fit openings! If you struggle too much to connect the tail to the side panels I would perhaps consider taping (aluminum tape), or some sort of plastic wrap around the tank and then just fibreglassing new panels that directly connect to the tail section in place... A little hard to explain but something like this (scroll to the lower end of the page): http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_messages/325653/1/riesland-Fighters-Creativity-winner-custom-bike-co-2.html

You could still perhaps use the side panels as a base to get the right shape under the tank and over the mounting bolts.... cover the panels with foil/tape/plastic/mould release and fibreglass over them, over the gaps and onto the existing NR tail section. It would increase the outside dimensions of the piece but you could do a thin layer and then reinforce the backside afterward.

I know it's possible to fiberglass to plastic panels but somewhat difficult to get them to bond very well. However bonding fiberglass to fiberglass in my experience works quite well if the surface if properly prepped.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to totally disregard them :)

You could still perhaps use the side panels as a base to get the right shape under the tank and over the mounting bolts.... cover the panels with foil/tape/plastic/mould release and fibreglass over them, over the gaps and onto the existing NR tail section. It would increase the outside dimensions of the piece but you could do a thin layer and then reinforce the backside afterward.

I know it's possible to fiberglass to plastic panels but somewhat difficult to get them to bond very well. However bonding fiberglass to fiberglass in my experience works quite well if the surface if properly prepped.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to totally disregard them :)

Thanks for the tip!

This is definitely an alternative I´ll consider.

(I know you got the experience, I have seen the great work you did on your bike!)

• 3 weeks later...

Time for update!

There have been little time for my project…as usual…partly self inflicted since a was on a trip a couple a weeks ago. I visited my friend in Germany.

He lives near the Mecca for every motorcyclist in Europe…The Nürburgring!

So I guess a weekend riding along Mosel and in the Eifel is a valid excuse! :491:

But some progress have been made!

I have began the construction of the rear sub frame. I use steel square tube 30x30mm. (I would have prefer to use aluminum, but then I could not weld it myself)

post-26810-0-93294100-1381088299.jpg

post-26810-0-91307700-1381088267.jpg

post-26810-0-48094500-1381088327.jpg

The exhaust is also under construction. Starting with the mufflers.

Ø100mm Al-tube and turned end caps is the recipe.

(now testing with 45mm end pipe, but it will be 55mm when done)

I also have cut out some more in the air ducts. They where way to small before.

post-26810-0-03715700-1381088358.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

For them who is wondering if this project has been stalled: :schla15:

No, but running in 1:st gear…

Getting the fairings to fit properly, and to get a decent form of alterations and base for the future paint is taking its fair share of time.

post-26810-0-49105500-1383112955.jpg

I manage to join the front part of VFR side panels with the fiberglass NR-rear with a good result.

I have also been working with the exhaust.

It´s not possible to get a nice connection to the VFR downpipes, so it ended up with using the cutter.

Archived