Vnr? Wtf! Nr750 Replica

Hi there,

I just want to let you have a sneak weiv on my project.

I got inspired of the French guys very nice NR-replica.

However I really don´t have the time and patience of molding my own fairings like he did…so when I found NR-replica fairings in fiberglass (poly26) I felt I had to make an attempt of building a replica of my dream bike.

The fairings is not a exact replica, they are made for early CBR900 (for some reason?), so changes must be made.

post-26810-0-87777700-1369137656.jpg

To make this project realistic and on a reasonable economic level, the goal is a replica (or a look-a-like) that will pass for a NR at a glance.

My plan was to make this a winter project, but I couldn´t wait so I had to jump to the gun…

The recipe:

VFR 94-97

Replica fairings

CBR900-99 forks

CBR1100 mirrors with integrated indicators

Self made exhaust system

Details to be solved as I go

First step was to order the fairings and finding a reasonably cheap VFR.

A 95 VFR was acquired and stripped down.

post-26810-0-95103300-1369137705.jpg

Current status is that lower CBR900 yoke is in place (have to adjust steering stop to prevent fork tubes of hitting radiator)

Forks are waiting for new seals.

post-26810-0-93012800-1369137736.jpg

If you wonder how calipers looks inside after 10+ years of inactivity…like something from a horror movie!

post-26810-0-84140700-1369137757.jpg

I´ll update this thread as I go, but there will be slow progress during summer...

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Interesting project.

I have a perfect candidate for the NR replica - 6th gen....

About NR ferrings: I wonder what would it take to get someone with a set of original ones to make a mold and fab a set based on it.

Prolly notgonahepen though.

figuring out the headlights would be interesting, as I don't think the 4th gen headlights would fit in that lower profile upper fairing .

I suspect one would have to cobble up some sort of multiple HID/Projector headlight arrangement, behind a clear Lexan lens?.....

Blackbird mirrors might also work out, with some modifications.....

The tail/exhaust system would be a big project, just on its own....

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I´m realize this is going to be difficult…but that´s part of the challenge.

If someone wonder what a NR750 is:

post-26810-0-34854600-1369199381.jpg

Only 500 made by Honda in 1992-1993 as a technical show-off without budget limits..

Oval pistons, carbon fibre bodywork with unbeliveble finish, fuel injection (remember this was ´92)

Pics of the fairings:

post-26810-0-12833400-1369218397.jpg

post-26810-0-80383900-1369218426.jpg

(The rear end I got is a single seater)

Made by Poly26 in France (poly26.com)

Prob is they communicate only in French…(in 2013?…France in a nutshell? :wink: )

However, google translate worked for me.

Finish of the fairings is OK, partly a bit rough but doesn’t matter in my case since I have to adjust them anyway.

(I have loaded up with filler, polyester and fiberglass fabric)

• Member Contributer

If you need close up pictures of a real NR for any reason, just tell me. There is one a couple of miles from my home.

Welcome to VFRD AndreasH, quite an entrance, and you have a nice stable of bikes there.

An NR replica has been high on my interest list for many years. It's good to see someone who is out to do it properly :fing02:

The headlight cut-outs in that fairing are all wrong, but you know that. As Beck suggests, and I have given this a LOT of thought over the years as well as investigated all manner of car headlights and foglights, a custom projector system and housing is the go. Have a look here for the projectors, I have a pair of their products (3" 35W HID) in a Nissan Patrol and can attest to their quality.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com

Beck also mentions CBR1100XX SuperBlackbird mirrors, and they are spot on - in fact, the Blackbird used the NR mirror assembly lock stock and barrel. They are pricey though, around $700 AUD for a pair. I have a pair assembled from a combination of used and new parts (a simple drop ALWAYS breaks the internal bracket system but that is only $40 from Honda) and I think it cost me around $250 AUD all up. Yes, purchased with the intent of building an NR replica...

You might also want to go with 3M carbon wrap along with your paint (assuming you go red, which I think is a must):

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Graphics/3Mgraphics/Products/Series1080/

The guy who owns Tyga Exhausts in Thailand owns an NR and has documented the exhaust system he built for it online - lots of pics which might be of some use to you:

http://tyga-performance.com/site/index.php?cPath=73_528

If you need close up pictures of a real NR for any reason, just tell me. There is one a couple of miles from my home.

Thanks Dutchy,

I have the opportunity to take pictures of a genuine NR.

There is a brand new one (never even started!) standing in at a dealer just a km away from my work!

But…it´s standing in a glass cage. So I can take pictures, but I cannot get measures like I would need to get details right.

So if you have the chance to get close to a NR I would be very grateful if you could get some measures of a few things.

BR

Andreas

:lurk: good project, but shame on you for using a nice looking black 4th gen, hope you tuck away all the plastics, they will be worth a bomb !

Don´t worry!

Everything I plan to do is restorable. No permanent damage. :rolleyes:

Stock fairings is in a safe place.

I have a couple of extra rear side panels (from a breaker) that I intend to merge with the NR-rear in order to get a nice fit with a stock fuel tank (also from the breaker)

So if the mission fails I can restore the VFR (but the self-esteem would be badly hurt…)

Welcome to VFRD AndreasH, quite an entrance, and you have a nice stable of bikes there.

An NR replica has been high on my interest list for many years. It's good to see someone who is out to do it properly :fing02:

The headlight cut-outs in that fairing are all wrong, but you know that. As Beck suggests, and I have given this a LOT of thought over the years as well as investigated all manner of car headlights and foglights, a custom projector system and housing is the go. Have a look here for the projectors, I have a pair of their products (3" 35W HID) in a Nissan Patrol and can attest to their quality.

Hi Phantom,

Thanks!

I know about the headlights cut-out.

I think the reason they are made bigger is that the manufacturer also sold a kit with twin headlights.

But they were not even close to the NR so I skipped those.

My plan is, as you suggest, find a pair of projector lights and build my own headlight.

But first I must get the cut outs right. I have made an enlargement of a picture of the NR lights to use as a template. But the best thing would be to get accurate measures from a genuine NR…

I already got the 1100XX mirrors, real cheap from a breaker.

Yepp, I also got the carbon fiber film in mind.

Powerbronze is making windscreens in a color called cool blue, which is kind of like the NR´s iridium screen.

Just need to find out what bike has about the same size of the screen that I need.

The exhaust system will be interesting…I will build it “myself”.

Since I´m in the Aluminum business I have access to the material and (not the least) workshops that can help me out.

So it will be a custom made system all in Al (with modified stock downpipes)

Of course the bike will be red! Anything else would be a sacrilege.

BR

Andreas

• Member Contributer

Hej hej Andreas,

Am at the airport now, about to fly out. So pm me what you would like measured. You will have it before the end of next week.

Hej hej Andreas,

Am at the airport now, about to fly out. So pm me what you would like measured. You will have it before the end of next week.

Hej!

OK, I´ll prepare a form.

Thanks! :beer:

BR

Andreas

Got a few minutes to the project during the weekend.

When I assemble parts I want them to be clean…then the ultra sonic cleaner is your best friend!

Before:

post-26810-0-22816500-1369633032.jpg

After:

post-26810-0-43801800-1369633046.jpg

The steering stop is not the same on the CBR lower yoke, so I had to put something there to prevent the yoke to collide with the radiator.

A M8 lock nut had the appropriate height.

One smaller screw to fix the nut and steel epoxy made the nut stay securely in place.

post-26810-0-15444400-1369633048.jpg

Then, smack on with the CBR forks:

post-26810-0-11547500-1369633050.jpg

And wheel:

post-26810-0-84692100-1369633044.jpg

Could it be that simple…?

Of course not!

The VFR wheel is 1,25mm off centre, so I need special made spacers.

The calipers also need 1,5mm washers to line up with the center of the brake discs.

About the forks:

The NR has USD forks, and I have been searching for a CBR 00- forks.

(00- yoke also fits the VFR)

But the difference in price made me choose the “USD look-a-like” ´99-forks, this also letting me use the VFR front wheel.

(235€ for a ´99 fork and 1300€ for a ´00 fork with front wheel and rotors)

But I can upgrade this in the future if the bike turns out good. :cool:

Got a few minutes last night in the garage.

Refurbished calipers.

post-26810-0-85172200-1369718140.jpg

Also did some measuring for the spacers.

Correction:

The calipers needs 2 x 1,5mm washers to line up with the brake discs.

post-26810-0-37406800-1369718139.jpg

• Member Contributer

Took some measures and some 100+ pictures today........

Every time I see the NR, I notice something new.....

Like the side stand, it has a fairing piece like the 3rd gen right?

post-8974-0-81621500-1370094318.jpg

Wrong! It has TWO pieces of plactic that "fold out" as you open the stand....

post-8974-0-52932900-1370094260.jpg

post-8974-0-64582800-1370094184.jpg

Anyone good with plastic/rubber who can mold one for Andreas?

:goofy:

post-8974-0-45805600-1370094431.jpg

Archived