Sidestand Wobbling, Causing Excessive Lean

• Member Contributer

Fixed mine today for $1.37

You beat me. Mine cost $1.46 and took me three attempts to find. It seems metric fasteners are a rarity in Texas.

You beat me. Mine cost $1.46 and took me three attempts to find. It seems metric fasteners are a rarity in Texas.

I had this issue as well in Marquette, the ACE Hardware didn't have what I needed for a bolt in terms of thread pitch ... that's why I ended up using a Clevis Pin as well ... that and I didn't have to worry about it working its way loose ever again. :)

• Member Contributer

At this cost, you need to figue in the cost of fuel used while chasing them bolts :goofy:

OP and others,

Make sure your shifter shaft isn't deformed, causing the seal to leak oil. That happened to my 05 side stand boot fell out. Even a new seal didn't fix it, stop I put silicone sealant on it.

• 5 months later...

Well, it's happened again. Almost 4 years and 17k miles later, my sidestand bolt has gotten away again. I guess I'll drop by Orchard Supply and pick up another bolt after work. I'll try red loctite this time instead of blue.

Edit:

Found the bolt on my garage floor. Reinstalled with red loctite. Squirted a bit of cyanoacrylate around the bolt head for good measure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

While cleaning up my chain and surrounding area I realized my side stand was not snapping down at the end of it's downward travel. I've worn out side stands before and this one is no different. And so I did a side-to-side wiggle and found too much play; more than an an inch. All bolts were present and very tight. The hole in the stand was worn and distorted and the pivot bolt was worn also. 

Looking at Honda parts fiche from several sources, they all say PART OBSOLETE for the stand it's self. I can tell the hole is too big. This was distorting the side stand's ark and

was interfering with the spring. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a fifth gen side stand bar?

Update: I found one on E-bay. $20 including shipping. Hoping it's not too worn.

BTW: In 2015 I was heading to T-Mac when I broke my foot. I posted a guess about what happened but that turned out to be wrong. I had pulled over to put my tank bag rain cover on. My boots and the stand were wet. I got my heal on the side stand but it slipped off the stand, the stand stayed up and my foot came down on it's left side. The bike started to tip when I grabbed the left hand grip. This loaded my foot with the weight of the bike and I passed out, only to come-to when my helmet hit the ground. After an emergency room visit and a cast out of town I went to see my orthopedic doc, he immediately recognized the cause of the broken fifth metatarsal bone in my foot: too much weight was put on the side of the foot and pulled the bone apart. 

Now the reason I've added this tidbit to this thread: it is very possible the spring was so loaded with grease or the excessive play in the side stand interfered with the spring actuation so as to slow the stand from the action I usually got from the spring at the end of it's travel. Instead of snapping down, the stand stayed up and forced me to catch the bike as it was tipping over.

I'd hate to have this happen to someone else. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/21/2013 at 0:26 PM, Lee 2002 said:

It is always the bolt for some reason.... the acorn nut never goes missing, at least that is my experience. If you do go with safety wire you will need to corner drill the nut.

I posted above that I used red loctite, but I'm not so sure of that now. I may have used blue. Either way, I've not lost another bolt after I safety wired them together.

When i got my VFR it was missing the allen bolt.  the PO had put a galvanized carriage bolt in there "temporarily" *facepalm*.  I replaced the allen bolt.  Yesterday i noticed the acorn nut is missing!  Anyone have any idea what the part number is?  Bike Bandit parts diagram does not show it!

3 hours ago, Getter said:

Yesterday i noticed the acorn nut is missing!  Anyone have any idea what the part number is?  Bike Bandit parts diagram does not show it!

You're looking for #13 Nut, Flange Cap (10mm)

It shows up on the rear shock mounting page.   I suspect #14 is a self locking alternative.... but I'm not positive.

sidestand.jpg.880077b2a2ec3a16d2f50c8518669247.jpg

12 hours ago, Lee 2002 said:

You're looking for #13 Nut, Flange Cap (10mm)

It shows up on the rear shock mounting page.   I suspect #14 is a self locking alternative.... but I'm not positive.

sidestand.jpg.880077b2a2ec3a16d2f50c8518669247.jpg

Thanks Lee.  You rock. 

• Member Contributer

I lost the bolt once a few years back and this was my introduction to this issue on the 6th gen. I pulled into a gas station and had a big surprise when I put the bike down on the side stand. :)

I found a new bolt and put some Loctite on it. I check it every now and then and have only had to service it once since.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

My 02 VFR seemed to be leaning further on its sidestand than I remember so I followed the instructions here -

Bolt and and acorn nut are both in place and tight. There is side-to-side play in the sidestand motion but comparable to what was shown in the video and that was called normal. I suppose its possible for the side stand play to increase over time but that doesn't seem likely. Am I just imagining things?

What's the best way to get the bike to sit up a little straighter - a shim? Add an extra "foot" to the sidestand (might also keep it from sinking into hot asphalt)?

Just replaced mine seeing at work I put the lead sled on the stand, get off the bike and back into my spot. Well after 7 years ground it down to a thinner sharp edge. Found one on eBay--- problem fixed-- also cut this one down a tad since I have lustracing triangles

My used stand had slight damage also, nothing a file and some spray paint couldn't fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived