Rider Groups And Route Suggestions - 2013 Hog Tie

Yokel

• Member Contributer

Figured I'd start this thread to get the subject launched. Part of the Hog Tie is the planning neglect on my part, and reliance of you, the rider, to make your own weekend of this. In that spirit, on this thread I will list lead/sweep volunteers. Take the time to PM the person volunteering to lead and start the discussion on whether or not you think you'd be a good fit for their group.

I would prefer groups were kept to a maximum of 6 bikes, but to each their own. Six is a good, manageable number and will allow the lead to be able to see the whole group in rear-view on the straights.

If you haven't, check BR's thread on the PACE.

More leaders and sweepers are always welcome!

The groups:

Sight-Seeing or Beginner - This will typically be around the speed limit, take your time and take in the sights. Twisty bits will be taken at prudent speeds for the average novice rider.

Intermediate - This will typically be a little more rapid than the Beginner group, corner speeds will be a bit on the "whee!" side. If you typically live in flatlands and are an experienced rider, this grouping should be a lot of fun.

Advanced - Hold on to your butts. If you are not proficient and well-versed in cornering, you'll be working too hard for a decent safety margin.

As of right now I've got the following for leads/sweeps:

Huntingguns leading beginner/sightseeing group with VcFR running sweep.

Yokel leading intermediate group with no sweep designated at this time.

Gloryracing leading advanced group with no sweep designated at this time.

• Member Contributer

You know Jon, I have a new bike so I will definately be leading the sight seeing group :laugh: . I have a few good routes planned out and will get your feedback on them when I get back home as you have spent a lot more time out there than me. As Jon stated above, please read up on the pace. BR put out a lot of good information in that thread. I can tell you that there are some good roads out there and if you are not used to that kind of terrain, it will wear you out pretty quick if you are over doing it. So, if you do find yourself in a group that is pushing a little faster than you are comfortable with, back off and slow down. The sweep will communicate that information to the lead and the pace will be altered to suit everyone until other arrangements can be made. Please do not be embarrased to slow down, I know I'm not. Too much invested in my bikes and my safety to let my pride out do my skills. We are there to make new friends, have a good time, and just hang out and ride.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

That looks pretty ambitious for an intermediate group to get done...guess it just depends on how many stops you make

• Member Contributer

I was planning on the advanced group... but I want that ride! I may have to do Intermediate one day :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I'm starting to think I may not be leading the intermediate..........

:unsure:

Can we do four groups? Sightseeing, Intermediate, Quick and "I wanna go fast"?

It is possible, and safe, for all groups to do the same routes. Done it many times with several different groups of riders.

The good thing about the Hub, if you get done with the planned route and you want more, just pull out of the parking lot and turn left...there ya go!

I am thinking that a route around 300+ miles will be good for the advanced group. That will allow us to do 123, 16 and Push. IMO, those are 3 of the best roads in NWA. Lots of choices and easy to add or subtract to the total... adjustments can be made during the day if necessary and someone needs to cut it short.

Jon has asked me, or maybe I volunteered, to lead a group during the Hog Tie event. Over the years I have lead many different groups around these wonderful Ozarks roads. It is always fun and I enjoy it every time. Well there was this one 3 day weekend of rain that wasn't great... But just for clarification...please understand what my leading a group means.

I will simply know the complete route that we will 'originally' plan to take...whether it be 2 roads totaling 35 miles and we add as we go...or a 400+ mile specific loop with planned stops. I know these roads well and have done several 500+ twisty mile rides in a day. (Pretty sure we will not decide on a 500+ mile day during the Hog Tie)

I will stop at every highway route change to make sure that all riders are accounted for before proceeding on the next leg of the route. If I am not the first rider to arrive at the intersection because one or more riders decided they wanted to go faster, I will insure that all remaining riders are accounted for before proceeding.

I will ride my own ride, at a pace that I am comfortable and confident that "I" can safely maintain. You are totally responsible for riding at a pace that you are comfortable and confident that you can safely maintain. I will not set a pace for anyone but myself!

You will not be encouraged or expected to ride at a pace that "you" are not completely comfortable and confident with riding safely. The roads around these here parts are a bit twisted!

It will not be a race of any kind and no bragging rights or awards will be established during the ride.

Pretty simple aye...lets ride!

• Member Contributer

Jon, if I bring my wife on the ST (most likely will) I will be happy to lead an intermediate group.

• Member Contributer

Jon has asked me, or maybe I volunteered, to lead a group during the Hog Tie event. Over the years I have lead many different groups around these wonderful Ozarks roads. It is always fun and I enjoy it every time. Well there was this one 3 day weekend of rain that wasn't great... But just for clarification...please understand what my leading a group means.

I will simply know the complete route that we will 'originally' plan to take...whether it be 2 roads totaling 35 miles and we add as we go...or a 400+ mile specific loop with planned stops. I know these roads well and have done several 500+ twisty mile rides in a day. (Pretty sure we will not decide on a 500+ mile day during the Hog Tie)

I will stop at every highway route change to make sure that all riders are accounted for before proceeding on the next leg of the route. If I am not the first rider to arrive at the intersection because one or more riders decided they wanted to go faster, I will insure that all remaining riders are accounted for before proceeding.

I will ride my own ride, at a pace that I am comfortable and confident that "I" can safely maintain. You are totally responsible for riding at a pace that you are comfortable and confident that you can safely maintain. I will not set a pace for anyone but myself!

You will not be encouraged or expected to ride at a pace that "you" are not completely comfortable and confident with riding safely. The roads around these here parts are a bit twisted!

It will not be a race of any kind and no bragging rights or awards will be established during the ride.

Pretty simple aye...lets ride!

I will say Mark was "awesome" as a ride leader last weekend. I would follow him anytime.

Adam, a royalty check is on the way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

All right!

The group leads are looking to be as follows:

Huntingguns and VcFR are taking care of the sight-seeing crew.

Yokel and 2thdr will be leading intermediate/quick-ish groups. (No sweeps at this time.)

Gloryracing will be leading the advanced group. (No sweep at this time.)

Anyone else willing to sweep or lead?

Archived