Recommendation Needed - Bt023 Vs Pr2?

FM1

• Member Contributer

It’s time to change my tires and I was wondering what your suggestions are based upon my riding style.

To make life easier I am only interested in Michelins and Bridgestone’s as more the choices tougher the decision.

Background –

• I weigh 210 pounds.
  • I do not commute on my bike. I use her for pleasure only.
  • I don’t ride when it rains or even when its wet outside. It’s easy for me as Fresno, CA is mostly dry.
  • Most of my riding is SOLO on weekends (twisties 80%)/(freeway 20%) – generally 100-150 mile day trips.
  • I have put 1000 miles since I purchased the vfr. The bike came with BT021 installed. The sidewall states manufacturing date was 2008.
  • Riding style-I ride with a group of riders who ride ST1300, FJR’s etc and I like to keep pace with them. We don’t race but we are not slow as well.

PR2 vs BT021-

I had PR2 installed on my zx-14 (sold as it was too much of a bike for me). Had put around 2000 miles with PR2.

• PR2 stick well. BT021 on vfr feel hard (maybe they are 4 years old).
  • After 2000 miles of riding PR2 on zx – they barely had any wear. Don’t know how the life of BT021 is.

Dislikes

• The effort required to turn zx-14 w/PR2 was high (maybe it was the zx-14’s 190/50 rear). My vfr’s with 4 year old BT021 steer's much lighter and is more flicable.
  • I didn’t find PR2 as neutral as the BT021.

Conclusion-

Based upon the above criteria what tire would you recommend? I do not want a sport tire as it will not last long.

I like to change tires in pairs.

I haven't read one negative review on the PR2 but surprisingly I like the BT021’s. I do not know how PR2 feel on the vfr.

• Member Contributer

How many mile do you get on a set of PP front, PR2 rear

Do they wear evenly. Any issues with mismatched tires...

I have run the PR2 on my VFR and both the PR2 and the BT-023 on my Multistrada. They both get similar mileage but the Bridgestones felt consistent throughout their life and the Michelins got a little greasy feeling at the end of their life. However, it wasn't a huge difference and I would buy whichever set on which I could get the best deal.

• Member Contributer

It would be benficial to you to dive into the area where you posted this. There is a trove of experience on tires here. As has been stated here over and over again, tires are like oil...it's everyone's opinion. To me, the longevity I get on tires depends on the type of riding I do. If I get stuck in Oklahoma for months on end, I wear out the middle of my rear first. If I get to go over to Arkansas a bunch, the PP front / PR2 rear combo wears the sides out first and pretty equally front and rear. I don't really pay much attention to miles...I just replace them when I think I need new ones.

• Member Contributer

I did not find any specific comparison Bt023 Vs Pr2. There is the poll which does not have BT023 listed.

I saw comments like 'I run this tire on my bike' without the reasoning as to why/what drove the decision.

I did not find any specific comparison Bt023 Vs Pr2. There is the poll which does not have BT023 listed.

I saw comments like 'I run this tire on my bike' without the reasoning as to why/what drove the decision.

I tried Pilot Powers a couple of times and always thought they were too triangular. To me they felt like the bike would just fall over in a turn if you let it. The Bridgestones always seemed more neutral with a rounded profile. I haven't tried the PR2's though, so I can't give a direct comparison. On the track, the PP's were good, but just didn't care for them on the street. My BT023's are also the GT version. I have bags on the bike 100% of the time, I'm not small, and for a while I was doing a lot of 2-up riding, so the GT's gave longer life for me. They are also a little cheaper than the PR2's.

If the BT-023's are cheaper which I am guessing they are, I would buy them. I have been riding on a set for a few months and am very happy. Based on everything I have read on this forum and since you said you don't ride in the wet, you cannot go wrong with either.

Archived