Who Has Removed Fuel Pump And Done Direct Feed To Carbs?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, JZH said:

These bikes do have three-position petcocks (on-off-res).  Even the US-spec bikes have it! 

Hmm, I definitely recall there was an on-off petcock at the base of the tank on my VFR750FM but it lacked the on-off-reserve tap on the left side fairing fitted to the Euro-spec models. My apologies if I misunderstood.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Lorne said:

Hmm, I definitely recall there was an on-off petcock at the base of the tank on my VFR750FM but it lacked the on-off-reserve tap on the left side fairing fitted to the Euro-spec models. My apologies if I misunderstood.

I swapped the F2 petcock with an F3, which has the on-off-reserve, but no vacuum diaphragm. It probably fits the VFR tanks too. Check servicehonda or something for pics or part numbers.

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Lorne said:

No, you're right...but so am I!  The petcock assembly is (now) the same part number worldwide.  The US-spec bike has a little plastic knob, which you need if you install the petcock on a US-spec bike.  But if you install it on a non-US-spec bike you don't have a plastic knob off and instead you fit the push-pull cable assembly that works with the reserve switch on the LHS fairing.  

The plastic knob has a little protrusion on the back side that prevents it from being turned to the "ON" position, so on a US-spec bike you get "OFF" and "RES" only.  "Reserve" is simply the lower of two pickup points within the tank, so if you had an "ON" position and no reserve switch (i.e., a US-spec bike), you'd run out of gas and still have a reserve's-worth of fuel in the tank.  If you really wanted to you could snip the plastic knob to give you all three positions, but there wouldn't be much point.

Ciao,

On 9/26/2017 at 1:58 PM, JZH said:

In case it helps someone, I recently found some really nifty stainless steel fittings in the correct size for 3-4th gen VFR fuel lines (5/16" -- 8mm) at Beverage Factory in California--including a tight u-bend that is perfect for replicating the 180-degree bend in the OEM fuel line (from the tank).

tn375_large_ssu-c2-s-u100109223243.jpg

I use polyurethane clear tubing (a Tygon-type) for my fuel lines, but it should work with conventional rubber fuel line as well.

[Edit: I should have said, some of the VFR's fuel lines.  The fuel pump takes the larger 3/8"  --  10mm size, but the hose barb on the tank petcock is the smaller size.  I have forgotten what size the lines at the carbs were originally (mine is currently 8mm), so, as always, best measure before buying!]

Ciao,

Would be interested in pics of your install

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Would be interested in pics of your install

You and me both!  :happy:

20161116_115604x.thumb.jpg.171f4e813361a2109a1e958815aa7398.jpg

This was the way I had it last year, but I've started over since then.  Instead of the Beverage Factory u-bend I had the tank output line doing a lazy loop towards the front of the bike, under the PCV hose on the rear cylinder head cover and then back to the fuel pump.

But that was then.  Now I'm working on a completely different undertray design--why do you think I bought a TIG?  :wink:

...and I've also now got that nifty stainless u-bend, which will eliminate the need for that big loop (Tygon doesn't like right bends).

Ciao,

Archived