'86 700 Interceptor, Looking For Some Pieces

PFox

Greetings!

I recently picked up an '86 700. I loved the concept and the looks before the purchase, but the test ride the PO took me on (insisted on it even, she's awesome like that) sealed the deal and meant that this bike stole my heart. I loved the concept, now I love the bike! :tour:

However, I'm looking for some things that I got used to with my previous bike, namely a CENTERSTAND. Are the center stands for the '86s really as made of unobtainium as they seem to be? I misread years and accidentally purchased one for an '84, and just a quick look told me I wasn't going to McGuyver my mistake away. :blush:

I have a couple saved searches on fleabay to hunt for one, no dice, and I don't have a good salvage yard near me. I fired off a couple emails to the salvage places listed in the links pinned topic too. Anyone have more suggestions for me? Point me at a member parting parts? Aftermarket? Make-your-own how-to? I do have a welder and some reasonable skill...

Also, a rack. I COULD make my own, but I'm also willing to let other people do the complicated tube bending and welding and painting. I'm sometimes lazy like that. The PO has a RennTec rack for her 86 750 and seems to like it; how do you folks feel about them? Ordering one from UK would run me ~$150 after all's said and shipped, and I haven't found a US dealer to try getting one away from. Worth it?

And now, having survived my questions, you get your pics for your clicks:

IMG_0043_zps101cbbe8.jpg

IMG_0042_zps195f1625.jpg

IMG_0040_zpsac9b8858.jpg

I tried BB, Service Honda, Honda of Hollywood, etc: main stand is listed as "discontinued" though I can still buy the tube portion. Oddly enough the SPRING is also listed as "discontinued." It's a spring, guys, and they aren't that hard...

Looks like, using reverse PN lookups, that the main stand for the '86 models are specific to that bike and that generation. Part # for the main stand is 50500-ML7-600, which lists out as being for '86 and '87 VFR 700 and 750 models.

• Member Contributer

Centerstands on Ebay have been hot and cold, there have been posts that have not sold for $50 and there have been sales for over $200 hold tight and one will appear in time. Good luck. It took me a while to get one.

Centerstands on Ebay have been hot and cold, there have been posts that have not sold for $50 and there have been sales for over $200 hold tight and one will appear in time. Good luck. It took me a while to get one.

Good to hear they do at least show up. I'll sit tight.

Anyone have an opinion on the RennTec stuff? It isn't a terrible price if it's a solid, functional product...

Sent from the future via Google Skynet

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, more parts questions.

She needs mirrors. The ones on there are so cracked and stiff that I can't adjust them for fear of breaking them. Add in that I'm looking at my elbows 90% of the time, unless I lay down on the tank...

Any options that will mount up and be wider?

• Member Contributer

The mirrors on this machine are a safety design flaw. I deal with the same issue. Tuck in an elbow for a rear view peek. Could not find O.E.M. mirrors anywhere. If you do let me know. My posts have hairline cracks but haven't fallen off at triple digits. Turn signals can be found. The nature of the 27 year old beast is that parts are hard to come by. One salvation, if you do not crash it, it will outlive you !

• Member Contributer

You could contact Twisted Throttle. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/

They list various center stands on their site. Perhaps they have a vendor who could source a center stand for you. Here is an example from their site:

post-6345-0-67022100-1371051266.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey, regarding the cracking on the arms on the mirrors. You can peel away the cracking outer beauty shell and you are left the molded plastic innner that is actually the strength of the arm. I've done it on a buddy's bike (Hey... what better time to experiment and I really wanted to find out). It looks way better than cracked up arms and it doesn't affect the adjustable ball joint at all. A little sanding to take away the plastic molding lines if you want (I didn't) and some Krylon Fusion paint for plastic and you're good!

Archived