Electric Problems - Turn Signal And Fan

Guest lahn

I've started noticing some electrical problems with my '91. I don't think its related, but what do I know - I replaced the standard R/R with the Yamaha R1 Mofset version, went with the cables from Eastern Beaver and Wire My Bike, along with a new battery and starter relay so I feel like that was done right. Have been riding the bike for over a year since without noticing these problems:

Overheating - this bike hates rush hour traffic. Its been hot a few times and no fan. Fortunately I've either been able to pull-off and let it cool, or have been able to drive along at 40+mph to allow her to cool off. Fuse was blown, dropped in another fuse. Ran it on the stand up to 230 degrees without fan kicking on. So replaced the thermo switch at the base of the radiator on riders left side. Still doesn't kick on at up to 230 degrees. Antifreeze is full and circulating.

Turn signals - I noted last fall that the signals/horn stopped working, checked and replaced a burned out fuse. Didn't last long and have replaced it a few more times. This may be related to dead battery which was re-charged using a battery charger, seems to be the only single event shared each time I've had this problem, but I'm not sure of it.

Where do I start? What do I test? Are these two singular events or somehow related?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Check the anti freeze and make sure its 50\50 mix only, as far as the blown fuses start with a fully charged battery and pull the 12V wire going to the horn and see if it continues to blow fuses. Could be the horn shorting to ground.

Antifreeze isn't the problem. I'm using a good motorcycle antifreeze and have checked and re-checked that the cap is on. I'll check the horn, there may be a short there.

Tried to spin the fan, it spins freely. I'm going to run a jumper direct from the battery and assure it works.

Antifreeze isn't the problem. I'm using a good motorcycle antifreeze and have checked and re-checked that the cap is on. I'll check the horn, there may be a short there.

Tried to spin the fan, it spins freely. I'm going to run a jumper direct from the battery and assure it works.

I'm currently dealing with the same problem, but I do have 12v at the connector for the fan, so I'm assuming its the thermostatic switch. I just turn it off if I'm at a light more than a couple minutes. I don't have a temp gauge or warning lights so its kinda sketchy.. My temp gauge is my hand grabbing the right side radiator hose.

• Member Contributer

I don't see how your issues could be related to recharging you battery. Popping numerous fuses is obviously a bad thing. I had a FZR with a bad thermoswtich. I wired a manual switch in. It also made me feel better being about to turn the fan on earlier.

How do you know your cooling system temps?

Check for any air in the cooling system. You might have to burp the system to get rid of it. Such could cause the late fan actuation. If the system overheated previously with the bad thermo switch it could have cause the air in the radiator. If that's not the problem, then it could be that your new thermo switch is defective and is turning on at too hot a temperature.

Archived