Dead Bike - No Dash, No Fuel Pump, No Lights

Guest b3nji

Guest b3nji

Hi, I'm having trouble diagnosing a problem with my 04 VFR800 ABS. The bike has been sitting for a month and ran perfectly fine before being stored but won't start anymore. New battery (Yuasa YTZ14S) was installed not too long ago. So the problem is when I turn the key in the ignition, nothing happens - no dash, no fuel pump, no lights... Thinking it was a dead battery I took it to Autozone and left it to charge ovenight. I put the recharged battery back in but it was still no go. I checked all the fuses including the 30A one and they're all OK.

Is there anything else I should check? I'm at a loss right now. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Put a voltmeter on the battery...what does it read? If it is 13+V then start checking fuses...

• Member Contributer

I'm not being a smart ass but is the red rocker switch in the correct position? It's happened to a lot of folks.

I have gone into total panic mode before when my bike wouldn't start after washing it....yep, I had hit the kill switch while washing/drying it.

I also tried to push start a friends bike when his failed to start after coming over for a visit. After about 5 trips up and down our cul-de-sac and turning myself blue from my efforts, I finally asked him about the big red switch, uh huh, it was off. One click and it fired right up. He owed me a sixer for that one.

Kill switch is in the correct position. I'll have to get a multimeter to test the battery.

Does the dash usually show the clock with the key off? I can't seem to remember.

• Member Contributer

He said no dash.. so rocker isnt the problem. I think there is a bad fuse or battery connection.

• Member Contributer

If you've got 13+ volts and no blown fuses ( or bad connectors/connections). Maybe check for bad grounds.

The main ground to the frame is located under the tank just in front of the tank hinge - it's under the rubber flap - I think it takes a 5mm hex. Prop the tank up and follow the battery negative cable up under there if unsure. It might be an easy fix.

• Member Contributer

I'd look at the main ground as Cogswell said.

While you're in there, look for signs of rodent activity.

If all was perfect 4 month ago and is completely not working now, the issue must be mechanical, meaning the main + or - wire either got disconnected or someone chewed through it.

And double check ALL fuses.

This should be relatively easy to track down.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

A battery that has open circuited internally may show full voltage on a multimeter. The small amount of current needed to work the meter flows through the electrolyte and being the meter takes very little current to operate it, it will give you a full voltage reading with no current capability to back it up.

I put the meter across the battery and hit the starter switch. If the voltage drops to zero, you have the situation as described. The clock will work off an internally open battery due to the small current needed for its operation also.

This happened to me so I know of which I speak.

Kill switch is in the correct position. I'll have to get a multimeter to test the battery.

Does the dash usually show the clock with the key off? I can't seem to remember.

based on this comment your clock doesn't show up either.. right? cause even when The key is in The off position, it should.

based on this comment your clock doesn't show up either.. right? cause even when The key is in The off position, it should.

The clock isn't showing up either...

Clock should always be on...

Thinking grounding issue, I would put money on the ground wire being bad...Another dumb question, but not so dumb because i have done this...Maybe you have a slow drain and your battery died. You recharged it and put it back in but switched the + and - cables on the terminals?

Another hot area to look into further is the main 30a fuse...something could be amiss there...

WELL, as it turns out, the battery hadn't been recharged properly... Multimeter read 4V. Took the battery to a different autozone and got it juiced up properly this time. Bike started without a hitch the first time.

Anyway, thanks to all for your input. Will keep those in mind next time.

• Member Contributer

WELL, as it turns out, the battery hadn't been recharged properly... Multimeter read 4V. Took the battery to a different autozone and got it juiced up properly this time. Bike started without a hitch the first time.

Anyway, thanks to all for your input. Will keep those in mind next time.

turn the lights in and drain the battery.. take it back and say its not holding a charge . they will replace it for free if its under a year and BOUGHT FROM THEM...but better ask about that 1st to make sure..

if its not from them.. keep an eye on it.

Archived