Vfr Can't Keep Up With V-Rod?

goose

• Member Contributer

I didn't read all the posts on this thread but I ran into a guy on a V-Rod at lunch one day....after the usual trash talk back and forth we wound up leaving at the same time, same direction. He said, we aren't gonna race are we? I just smiled, he had one of those jacked up all blacked out versions. I didn't really know what to expect from either bike but I will say that after 5 roll on starts he didn't win one of them. Even if I let him come around me I caught and passed him. From a dead start its all rider and clutch management.

Oh, and FK back of the pack BS.

I call HD packs "moving pylons"

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

LOL... I posted this up at work and then got called on two field surveys. I'm pretty surprised at the amount of responses. I really just wanted to know about cornering ability of the V-rod cause I just can't understand how something made by HD could possibly corner as good as a sport bike like the VFR. I know those guys and know that they're just trying to goad me into an argument, but I honestly didn't have enough information to argue with them. And you know, if I wanted to argue without having the facts... well, I'd be in politics wouldn't I? :wink:

My policy is that my body can't cash the checks ego thumping writes.

I will say that when I ride with cruiser guys, I regularly hear them talk about scraping hard parts, when I'm not even coming near. I may be hanging off a little bit, but I hardly ever come close to using up my ground clearance.

But hey, I like what I like, they like what they like, and in the end we are still friends who have ridden some awesome roads together!

My policy is that my body can't cash the checks ego thumping writes.

I will say that when I ride with cruiser guys, I regularly hear them talk about scraping hard parts, when I'm not even coming near. I may be hanging off a little bit, but I hardly ever come close to using up my ground clearance.

But hey, I like what I like, they like what they like, and in the end we are still friends who have ridden some awesome roads together!

I drag my center stand and toes sometimes! But seriously...if anyone is a half decent rider you will smoke a Vrod... Apparently on the highway too....

There was a guy (friend of a friend) that was talking all kinds of shit about how his 1200 skirtster eats GSXRs all day and is so fast and he'll race anyone for titles, blah, blah, blah.. I told him my bike couldn't keep up with a late model GSXR, but lets race anyway, for titles or any amount of money he'd like to name. He backed down fast, ended up telling me he doesn't like to race his bike because its puts too much stress on it..

Don't let people's talk game get to you, its mostly just them blowing a lot of hot air.. And on a serious note, if you're on your first bike, you need to ignore that non-sense.. Its stuff like this that gets amateur riders killed.

I remember T-MAC a few years ago, where a younger kid, mid 20's riding a CBR or GSXR type bike, came up to us at the Gap store and said that he really liked the look of the VFR. And maybe when he was older and was ready to slow down a bit, it might be the bike from him... Can't remember who it was from the group, but after leading them on a trip a crossed and back, well they tried to follow if I remember the story correctly. This kid and his buddies, when they finally made it back 10 minutes or so behind the VFR, changed their mind quickly...

Its all in the rider, for the most part... I seem to remember seeing videos of a yellow Gold Wing at the Gap... Need I say more LOL

Reminds me when some years ago I left two young squids on a Fireblade and a GSXR1000 in the dust with my humble Hawk 647GT going down the mountains from Alice's to Highway 1 on the ocean. They only gained back some distance when we hit some short straights between twisties, but I mostly just saw their headlights gradually fading away after every turn.

Yeah, they eventually caught up and passed me, but not till the last quarter mile straight before we hit highway 1.......... Maybe they're the same guys??!

One of the best rides I ever had and that Hawk just stuck and stuck to the road through the tightest turns and the biggest sweepers with me pinning the throttle most of the time as I pull out ot the turns ans sweepers.....

Yes, I think I can most likely beat a V-Rod in the twisties with my VFR......but I think I can beat it even easier with a Hawk GT!

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I just googled " VFR quarter mile performance" & "VROD quarter mile performance" and found tons of info but in general, most sources show a 6th gen topping a VROD by about 5 mph in the 1/4 mile. Add in some curves and equal riders, the VFR should come out with an advantage.

• Member Contributer

I've got this guy that works for me, he's all up on Harley. Has two of their bikes, and we're constantly ribbing each other about who's got the real bike. Mine's a plastic throw-away and his is an overweight, poor handling pig. It's entertaining at least, and both of us really just don't care. It's just fun to BS one another.

There was one day though that he was saying on his HD nightster that he could keep up with me in the bends. Mind you, he's about 120lbs soaking wet and I'm 270 bone dry...

All it took was showing some of my GoPro footage of the big VFR in the bends. Then it was, "well, I'll keep up on the straights."

I allowed the tactical retreat. :goofy:

I can't fault the guy... for the crowd he rides with, he's really damn quick. With the crowd I ride with I'm unbearably slow. Both of us love the hell out of the sport, in our own ways, for our own reasons.

Bench racing's always good for a laugh.

Harley makes a beautiful machine. It's got a one-of-a-kind sound and they are simply stunning sometimes. It's fine by me to let them be what they are... pretty, loud, slow but fun ways to spend a day.

LOL... I posted this up at work and then got called on two field surveys. I'm pretty surprised at the amount of responses. I really just wanted to know about cornering ability of the V-rod cause I just can't understand how something made by HD could possibly corner as good as a sport bike like the VFR. I know those guys and know that they're just trying to goad me into an argument, but I honestly didn't have enough information to argue with them. And you know, if I wanted to argue without having the facts... well, I'd be in politics wouldn't I? :wink:

Most peope see the harley as nothing more than a bunch of loud baggers with no sport roots. Not trying to defend them but Harley did have quite the sporting ability back when the only motorcycle racing around were the flat tracks. They dominated for many years. But they were hardcore traditionallist, staying with old technology, their competitors started pulling away, and the general public saw that motorcycles were becoming dangerous, I'll leave the rest to the real historians to explain but Motorcycling in America preaty much when down the gutter while Eroupe held on strong. Harley did have the Buells for quite a while and those bikes were very capable. I still think closing them down was the worst thing HD ever did. For 2011 and 2012 Harley did make the XR1200, where they were trying to tap back into their flat track racing roots and produce a street worthie bike, it's not offered in there 2013 lineup though. Reviews online fare it pretty good against competting bikes. There's even a pro racing class for them too. I really like the bike and it sounds pretty good, only thing i've disliked is the oil cooler sticking out on the side, but that can be remidied easily with a mod.

They did make a VROD class that was more sport oriented with streetbike ergonomics called the VRSCAW V Rod. They stopped selling it as well.

• Member Contributer

I love reading these kind of threads. Doesn't matter if it's a car or bike these are always entertaining. It's always going to come down to the driver. Sure the right bike will help but always the driver.

The (stock) V-rod with the best chance would be the VRSCR "Street Rod".

VRSCR: Street Rod

Model years: 2006–2007. The Street Rod was marketed as the “roadster-inspired” member of the VRSC line. The Street Rod was the first VRSC to ever feature inverted forks made by Showa, with a steep rake and Brembo supplied brakes. It also featured the highest seat height at 30 inches (76 cm) of any VRSC model. The Street Rod also claimed the greatest lean angle at 40°, over the 32° lean of the other VRSC models. The Street Rod came equipped solely with mid-mounted controls. The Street Rod would be the first to feature the 5 gallon tank in the 2006 year model, that would become standard for the line in 2007.

xl+2006_harley_davidson_vrscr_street_rod

Yep the v-rod is a porsche designed engine. I've ridden 2 and they may be near the same in the quarter mile. but thats it. An average rider on a vfr could smoke a good rider on a v-rod anyday,

Look at displacement too. Some harley engines are 3 liters. 2000cc, thats what my wifes mazda has.

It's funny, most harley guys dont consider the v-rod a real harley. When they want to compare to a sportbikes the v-rod is all harley. It's fummy.

• Member Contributer

I used to think I was quick til I saw these Frenchies go at it. First 5 mins are boring but look out when they get out of town,

Rider skill will make up for most bike shortcomings. Harley or Sportbike.

I was out for a nice all day ride last year and when I stopped for lunch in a small town south of the city of Calgary, Ab had a group a Harley guys looking at my bike. When the sat down they asked if it was mine and What was it.

Lunch continued with why ride that , and you need a big boy bike, and then the well i can take you comments. I went along knowing what was going to happen. I was done, hit the can and then started getting ready to leave. Guess who else was leaving and the taunts started, now these guys had a drink or 2 in them, i don't drink and if i did still would not on the bike .

So as I started to leave Longview they rolled up behind me and gunned it up beside me. Well let me tell you. Those Dam VFR gods were all smilling on me that day and the tunes were putting me in the right place.

Dropped a gear hit the gas wheel up and GONE.

Wheel down started going through the gears with the only v rod of the group right behind me...not once did he get in front and as we started hitting the curves, to then twistie sections he gave up.

Several miles down the road is I was stopped taking a pic of my bike with a lake backdrop. The harley pulled up and the v rod was pissed that I made him look bad i guess, anyway he was swearing and what not, while his buddies were asking what i had done to the bike etc.

Anyways I jumped back on to continue my day trip and yelled back. Want to try again !!! V rod looked pissed but just walked away.

Fun day and story short, it was my day not his..did it really matter, No! I saw some amazing scenery got some great pics,and got to ride my bike for a nice 7-8 hrs of a day.

• Member Contributer

doesnt matter what bike yer on....donkeys exist everywhere

I love the you are too drunk - you gotta ride home comment. :laughing6-hehe:

He's not joking !!!!!

• Member Contributer

I used to think I was quick til I saw these Frenchies go at it. First 5 mins are boring but look out when they get out of town,

Rider skill will make up for most bike shortcomings. Harley or Sportbike.

That's flat out insane. Thanks for the link.

• Member Contributer

I remember T-MAC a few years ago, where a younger kid, mid 20's riding a CBR or GSXR type bike, came up to us at the Gap store and said that he really liked the look of the VFR. And maybe when he was older and was ready to slow down a bit, it might be the bike from him... Can't remember who it was from the group, but after leading them on a trip a crossed and back, well they tried to follow if I remember the story correctly. This kid and his buddies, when they finally made it back 10 minutes or so behind the VFR, changed their mind quickly...

Its all in the rider, for the most part... I seem to remember seeing videos of a yellow Gold Wing at the Gap... Need I say more LOL

Me and KB do it all the time.

Every great once in a while a sportbike or motard may be going faster on The Hill but it is rare. I have ridden a VRod and there is no way in Hades it can hang with a well ridden VFR. It simply hasn't got the ground clearance for fast cornering.

But as sure as I pass all HDs (cutting the XR1200R slack cause it could hang with an accomplished pilot) like they are riveted to the pavement I am sure there is someone somewhere who passed a VFR with a VRod and thinks his bike is faster than all VFRs. As long as we all ride for fun then what the heck...let em have the fantasy.

KEB

• Member Contributer

doesnt matter what bike yer on....donkeys exist everywhere

Well...the abundance of beer bottles could have something to do with it

Archived