Think I May Need A New Rear

ThePonz

So I went out to the bike today an saw this terrible thing. Scared the hell out of me am I refuse to ride. I found a place near me that sells race take-offs for $20 a piece. I'm a poor college student that any really afford a tire right now. Has anyone had experience with take-offs? I've heard that the middle tread that you are usually on while street riding is still well intact. If so, what kind of tires should I look for? Brands, not size.post-25456-0-74824000-1364633926.jpg

• Member Contributer

The above shows you should always check AFTER a ride. So you can take action BEFORE the next ride

Poor is relative.... If the bike is your only transport, buying a new B brand will be more economical than a shagged take of.

If the bike is just for fun, and you are poor you should sell it, not live above your means....

Yikes! I would put a different tire on pretty bloody quick!

Though I would hesitate on the race take-offs. I get a bit more than 12k miles out of a PR3 rear, a tire that costs me about $170 shipped to my doorstep. That would allow for 8.5 take-offs, not counting mounting costs. I mounted it myself, but if you are paying someone to do it, think real hard about $/mile.

So, without it costing anything to mount, can you reliable get 1.4k miles out of a race take-off?

::EDIT:: See if you can find someone nearby that can help you out with the bike. As long as it doesn't get to crazy, I've got no problem helping people with the basics. Tires, brakes, oil, occasional valves, chains, etc. Bring a favorite beverage, and it can really open people up. I have a friend that only needs a couple Arizona teas to be bribed!

• Member Contributer

Scary thing is that didn't just happen overnight, you were riding on that for a while and never checked. Bad rider - bad!

I second putting a good tire on it. How many times do you want to pay for mounting and balancing? Take the money you would have spent at the bar or Starbucks (you're a student - admit it) and put it towards a decent tire. The ass you save will be your own.

• Member Contributer

Go for the race take offs if the mounting cost isn't too high. Your only other option is to hit the Cycle Gear right down the road from you where you live. They have Conti Motion rear tires on sale for $115.

• Member Contributer

Do you know someone who changes motorcycle tires? A used bike dealer maybe? I use a non-dealer / independent to change my tires and every time I am in there there is a small pile of tires waiting to be disposed of . I change tires in pairs and at the beginning of the season so I usually end up leaving behind a front or rear with some usable tread left. Ask around - it can't hurt. You might be able to get the tire for free and just have to pay for the mounting. You would be saving the guy the disposal fee!

Can't hurt

• Member Contributer

I second the ContiMotion idea or maybe a Shinko if you are short on funds and not doing spirited riding on twisty roads...

But all this really depends on if you are mounting and balancing yourself, then take offs might make sense for you...

Whatever you do, it almost has to be better than that overdone tire. :goofy:

Mounting tends to be expensive, maybe you can save a few bucks there with a little help from a friend.

If you have to pay for mounting, it might not make sense to use a take off,

you'll just be paying for mounting again that much sooner. :sleep:

• Member Contributer

There are places that will mount tires for reasonable prices...but u gotta search for them.

I've used race take offs, mostly for track days from racers I know personally. One friend keeps a log so I known the history of each tire. I usually only used a tire with an afternoons races on it--max three 7 lap sprints...I will put three track days on these before changing. Still tread left but for the track I like buns fresher than that so I swap them.:-)

Around here in San Antonio, there are a lot of independent mechanics and tire shops that all have that slightly sketchy look. Some won't touch motorcycle tires at all, but I've found some that will, and generally it is about $10 with the wheel already off the bike. Around here what I'd look for is the shop that still has the guys hanging around later on in the evening (7-8pm or later), and if they have the great combination of the old timers smoking and a couple young guys horsing around.

The guy I prefer to go to charges ~$35/wheel if I ride the bike in (which I do, as I don't have a car, or second functioning bike to bring wheels in on). He does good and efficient work, and won't give me crap about worn out brakes/chains. I've damn near had to sign my life away at the Honda dealership when I went in there with brake pads and sprokets/chain needing replacement. Simply telling them how I had the parts at my house and was doing them that night didn't seem to be good enough. They made me sign a waiver about how they weren't responsible if the bike burst into flames.

This independent guy just looked at my Ducati one time, said "I hate to tell you this, but..."

ME: "Rear brake? Yeah, I know, I've got a new rotor shipping in."

Him: "Alright, just be careful!"

Mind you I'm pretty sure his shop is a cover for some Bandidos operation, but I pay in cash and haven't had a bad vibe yet.

Race take off waste of money , you'll be buying another tire in a couple weeks. so buy a new sport tour like a road 2 or somthing, something thats will go some distance.

• Member Contributer

:offtopic:

Mind you I'm pretty sure his shop is a cover for some Bandidos operation, but I pay in cash and haven't had a bad vibe yet.

Why would you knowingly support these guys? :unsure:

You need to chage a tire what? Every 6 months? $20 more then is nothing and you'll be supporting decent folks making an honest buck (or three...)

:offtopic:

Why would you knowingly support these guys? :unsure:

You need to chage a tire what? Every 6 months? $20 more then is nothing and you'll be supporting decent folks making an honest buck (or three...)

He has done better work with better customer service than any of the "more professional" shops around here.

Mostly because I've been repeatedly screwed by more established shops when trying to change tires. A typical attempt would either be a 2 hour long lunch despite me having set up an appointment, or otherwise calling ahead for after work. Me (just before leaving work): "Yes, I've got a tire I need changed, I'll be there in about 45 minutes, will you be able to do it?"

Shop monkey: "Yes sir, come on over!"

30-40 minutes later...

Me: "I called about getting a new tire put on?"

Shop monkey: "Uhh, the guys who can put tires on left a while ago." or "The repair department actually closed early today."

Everyone just assumes I want to leave the bike for a day or two just to get some bloody tires mounted. They don't seem to comprehend that this bike is my only mechanized transportation.

After this happened several times, I found better results by finding "sketchy" shops. If it was the kind of place that didn't hold "9-5" hours, and wasn't an big-name place, I was happier. There are a few random car tire places that are happy to change my tires if I bring them off the bike, but this guy is just a few miles from my house, and does it in a few minutes once I show up. He is in one of those office/warehouse places that look big versions of self-storage units, the next unit over is used by an ambulance company as a home base of sorts. He pulls out a camping chair for me, and goes to work.

That said, I now can change my own tires with a Mojo Lever and a stand made out of a steel car wheel. But if either a friend or myself need a tire mounted by someone else for some reason, I'd still send the work his way.

(And on my ducati I was changing rears every 3 months or so, about 6k miles.)

If so, what kind of tires should I look for?

Ay tire whit tread on is bette than that! But as some suggest, race tires dont go the distanse, so you will probery be in the same situation soon again + race tires need temerature to work/grip, so usually werry slippery when wet. I also adwise for a sporttuoring tire, if the money will not buy you a Michelin PR2/3, get what you can afford and limit your speed to the grip.

Archived