Rapid Bike Fuel And Ignition Controller For 2007 Vfr800 Vtec

I just received my Rapid Bike 2 Module Friday and installed it yesterday. I've got some pictures and information on it, if anyone is interested. I already started a thread on vfrworld and I will post up the details here too if any of you guys are interested. The Rapid Bike module is a piggy back computer like the bazzaz and power commander but it has way more features and allows 3 dimensional mapping of both fuel and ignition curves.

12C63338-4210-4F03-B375-9129F82DC2D6-693

My Ignition map

myignitionmap_zpsedc913cd.png

My fuel map

myfuelmap_zps06014411.png

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the Universal Rapid Bike 2 Module unplugged from the motorcycle and Rapid Bike Motorcycle specific Harness.

6C46C3F6-8A90-4604-9A5E-07EFA4A9F9D8-137

FB1FE8F0-AADC-4F87-BA78-96EDFE068235-137

Rapid Bike 2 Module and 6 foot extension cord (for use when RB is Currently in the Bike)

BE26FF54-C891-4E3D-A2AC-59AC0D165D16-137

RB and USB adapter (to plug the RB into laptop or desktop)

B5AA3B44-56D2-4784-A307-E254E2EC50F6-137

Bridge connection to allow use of the motorcycle with rapid bike removed (it will swap out in place of the RB to make the bike stock mapped, or so your bike will still be rideable while the RB is not installed without removing the Rapid Bike Harness)

78629D5C-BB27-4C3B-86C8-51B7CA6131F6-137

5E2BB695-BE89-4757-9F9B-A9C4B0055154-137

Here is the 4 pin to 20 pin adapter for use in tuning with Rapid Bike not installed

5A51C3EB-117D-47B5-BE71-C12819A33ED7-137

Here you can see the RB plugged into the laptop for adjusting/tuning

2CE38B24-ECB8-4EC1-BF83-B0CF6BC93CBD-137

Here you can see the 4 pin and 20 pin connections and harness already installed on my bike:

208B2A66-CBBC-4EB5-9A88-3B3C39CEA29E-137

6EFD01E0-23FE-40CA-B303-9F3453BC4D37-137

8C794AA8-0809-4D95-B878-3C3A40424015-137

873CAC86-7E33-40E5-9A4A-BC74BBD41A2F-137

1EF7FDF5-7F30-45FF-A0D0-0BB92B8C4949-465

The 20 pin connection plugs directly into the Rapid Bike Module and the 4 pin connection allows adjusting the RB while installed in the motorcycle.

Here are some pictures of my Sato Rear sets with Rapid Bike Quick Shift sensor:

6E6ACDFE-F3E2-4299-9D65-D619000E3FA8-465

E22AD2A7-F65B-4995-A8CA-1C03C66DDF18-465

• Member Contributer

OMG! !@! The gratest thaing EVAR! :bliss:

Won't bother with what? Relax man. I didn't see it in the feed yesterday. I don't get pics at work, so I can't see what's going on anyways. I'll see when I get home.

Haha well I thought it was a pretty cool mod. I have been searching for a way to adjust the ignition timing on these bikes for 4 years now, and finally got it. Now just to get the quickshifter functioning, headers ceramic coated, throttlebodies ported out a little and then I will take it to the dyno for a real tune.

I dont even know where to begin...I had assumed that the powercommander adjusted ignition timing... Apparently this does both ignition timing and fueling?

Also, what is the thought on having a quick shift sensor? does it blip the throttle automatically for you for better clutch less shifts?

Could you generate a map with this thing then do an ECU flash?

• Member Contributer

Hang on, you've totally left out where this thing connects to the bike! I assume it piggy backs the injector harness, but what does it piggyback for the ignition timing?

• Member Contributer

Didnt see this post until just now. But yes please keep us up to date how it goes.

('98 5th gen application?)

I dont even know where to begin...I had assumed that the powercommander adjusted ignition timing... Apparently this does both ignition timing and fueling?

Also, what is the thought on having a quick shift sensor? does it blip the throttle automatically for you for better clutch less shifts?

Could you generate a map with this thing then do an ECU flash?

No power Commander doesn't do timing. they offer a seperate igntion module for some bikes, but not ours. Even if they did that would run you $600 total and you would have wires all over your bike.

A quick shift sensor, senses when you apply pressure to the shift lever, and then automatically cuts fuel and/or timing to reduce power for 30-100 ms in order to allow clutchess full throttle shifts.

As far as I know you can not flash our ecu's. You can flash some gixxers and the new R1 though.

Hang on, you've totally left out where this thing connects to the bike! I assume it piggy backs the injector harness, but what does it piggyback for the ignition timing?

It plugs in the same way regular power commanders plug in (through the grey 10 way fuel connection), but also utilizes the red 2 wire connection (crank sensor pick up for ignition control) right next to the grey connection. This is so much cleaner than Power Commander plugging into each individual coil.

directions1_zpsc1e1e5a8.png

directions2_zpsf96ca220.png

directions3_zps68df846c.png

directions4_zpsbaf1ea8c.png

Didnt see this post until just now. But yes please keep us up to date how it goes.

('98 5th gen application?)

I am not sure if they have the Rapid Bike 2 (fuel and ignition) applications for the fifth gen. But they definitely have the Rapid Bike ! available (fuel only). Give Lenny a call and see what he can do for you.

http://www.rapidbikeusa.com/contact/

rapidbikecontact_zps38e32f70.png

• Member Contributer

Like everyone else just found this post. So when are you going to spend soem time tuning the fuel & ignition timing ? I'm very interested in the ignition timing as I have only seen info from one previous ignition timing experiment & that was a PC2 where 4 degrees of advance was added & the thing wouldn't run properly. They never tried lesser amounts of advance. So let us know how you get on.

I have basically just been throwing another 0.5 degrees advance at it every day and driving around on it and seeing how it responds. I am at 4 degrees advance now tapering to 2 degrees by redline. It seems to be benefiting from more timing, but who really knows till I get the time and funds to throw it on the dyno. Also, I am not really sure what to do with the top end though. I figured advancing the top would make power, but all the maps that I am looking at are showing little to no advance up top, and some even pull timing off.

• Member Contributer

What's it like to tune this thing, what's the software tools like, and do you have access to a dyno to do this or is it all street work? Can it datalog?

Seems interesting, nice to see more work going into the 6th gen bikes to get them a little better running.

What's it like to tune this thing, what's the software tools like, and do you have access to a dyno to do this or is it all street work? Can it datalog?

Seems interesting, nice to see more work going into the 6th gen bikes to get them a little better running.

I have posted screen shots of the software all over this thread. It is more involved than Power Commander software. I don't think this specific Rapid bike can datalog, but I am sure some of the other Rapid Bike modules have that capability. I have not dyno'd yet but I will within a month or so. So far, seat of the pants tell me the bike is stronger, but we will see when i get to the track if my trap speed goes up.

Today Lenny from Rapid Bike logged in on my laptop and did a live tutorial for me and also ran through all the settings. The hands on tech support that comes with Rapid Bike is awesome! With my laptop plugged into my bike, Lenny was able to adjust all my settings and run diagnosis on the Rapid Bike from the other side of the country. It was literally like I had a professional mechanic make a house call to my friends garage, to lend a hand. We tweaked all the settings on the quickshifter and now it is fully operational and shifting at 61 milliseconds!!! That is unbelievably fast, race bike fast! And I am glad to report, not one missed shift all day. This blows my old set up out of the water!

• Member Contributer

I have posted screen shots of the software all over this thread. It is more involved than Power Commander software. I don't think this specific Rapid bike can datalog, but I am sure some of the other Rapid Bike modules have that capability. I have not dyno'd yet but I will within a month or so. So far, seat of the pants tell me the bike is stronger, but we will see when i get to the track if my trap speed goes up.

Today Lenny from Rapid Bike logged in on my laptop and did a live tutorial for me and also ran through all the settings. The hands on tech support that comes with Rapid Bike is awesome! With my laptop plugged into my bike, Lenny was able to adjust all my settings and run diagnosis on the Rapid Bike from the other side of the country. It was literally like I had a professional mechanic make a house call to my friends garage, to lend a hand. We tweaked all the settings on the quickshifter and now it is fully operational and shifting at 61 milliseconds!!! That is unbelievably fast, race bike fast! And I am glad to report, not one missed shift all day. This blows my old set up out of the water!

So do you have have to close the throttle at all on upshifts?

So do you have have to close the throttle at all on upshifts?

No that is the whole point. You literally hold the throttle pinned wide open, and kick up gears, no clutch either! The shift sensor detects when you apply pressure to shift mechanism, and it cuts fuel for 30-100 milliseconds, at what ever rpm range you want it to operate at.

I have it set at 61 milliseconds and functioning at 6000 plus rpms.

It only operates when you apply pressure to the shifter with no clutch, so it will still operate normal if you chose to do so. It also works at what ever throttle you desire, not just wide open. So you can hold it at, say 25% throttle and just kick up gears, with out letting off the gas or touching the clutch!

• Member Contributer

And how much did you spend for the whole set up? Sorry if I missed that...

$245 For the Rapid Bike and VFR800 specific harness

$59 For the Rapid Bike Programming Cables

$85 For the Quick Shifter

$20 For shipping

$245 For the Rapid Bike and VFR800 specific harness

$59 For the Rapid Bike Programming Cables

$85 For the Quick Shifter

$20 For shipping

still WAAAAAAY cheaper than PC haha. It makes me think of the AEM ECU's that i have set up for foreign cars. Having this much control over fuel and timing takes the power to the next step, adding fuel only takes you so far. Pick an amount of fuel that puts your bike at a little bit rich and then bump up the timing by .5 degrees at the top end (where the hp peaks) until you get your peak power numbers. As soon as you add too much the bike will start losing juice and teeter out... Then start working your way down the charts, you will know as soon as you add too much timing, like on old 350's we would just turn the distributor until it would start to knock then turn it back just enough so it doesn't anymore and call it good :)

This is where I am at so far and I have not heard any knocking what so ever yet. You can really feel it in the bottom end but I don't know if its doing anything up top. How will I know when I advanced the top too much? Will it just start losing power or knock or what? I might just stop here...

bestofbothrapidbikemapsplusmorepeakat4an

btw i inquired about the fuel and injection options for the 5th gen and whatever i get back i will forward to here that way future viewers can see the options available for the 5th gens

btw i inquired about the fuel and injection options for the 5th gen and whatever i get back i will forward to here that way future viewers can see the options available for the 5th gens

SWEET! Thanks for your help and contribution!

This is where I am at so far and I have not heard any knocking what so ever yet. You can really feel it in the bottom end but I don't know if its doing anything up top. How will I know when I advanced the top too much? Will it just start losing power or knock or what? I might just stop here...

bestofbothrapidbikemapsplusmorepeakat4an

detonation (knocking) will definitely occur when you turn it too high, don't let it do it too much it is not good, especially if it is bad detonation. but i will say i have never tuned a bike and while it can't be that much more different than cars, i have never dealt with such high rpms and it would be fun for me to tinker with haha.

But i will also say that i just looked at some AEM charts i had saved and my timing charts look very similar to some that i have even though they use the MAF to calculate load which this program might do but i didn't think the VFR's had MAF's but only had MAP's. It does look like your butt is pretty damn accurate though haha. I would add a tad to the 8000-9000 and see where that takes you, sometimes when you get that high tho it is hard to dyno it with your butt... frankly hauling ass feels like hauling ass haha.

Also how are your fuel tables coming along? Do you have a wide band hooked up? That would help you get the fueling accurate, also are the 02's deleted? Otherwise your bike will be fighting with the tuner the whole time

Yup o2 sensors are deleted. Unfortunately I have not found a way to run a wide band yet. I will probably just get a dyno tune done in a few months after I do a few more things.

Yup o2 sensors are deleted. Unfortunately I have not found a way to run a wide band yet. I will probably just get a dyno tune done in a few months after I do a few more things.

you will probably have to run a separate wideband a/f with its own gauge and just data log it.

Archived