Got The Cases, Now For A Mounting Kit. But Which One?

marriedman

I just bought some hard cases and now I need to get a mounting kit. I started looking on google and here, but I am quickly drowning in options. I do not have a top case, but I don't want to rule out eventually getting one. According to my searches, the Wingrack appears to be the most popular. But the bike specific portion seems to no longer be produced. There is a tubular frame one, but I don't think it works with a top case.

I have the stock can on the bike, but I have hopes of getting a high mount. I have seen several bikes with high mounts and hard cases, so it shouldn't be an issue. but I did want to mention it. I have already spent a bunch of money this year, so I can't get a case made of unicorn bones assembled by nymphs in eco-friendly paradise. But I also don't want a POS that will only last a season. Can you guys make a recommendation for me?

You got a nice deal on those cases!

Check out the Kappa mounts (KZ257 & KL257) available for a 5th-generation at tourandride.com. Last month I picked up sidearms kit for mounting a top case in late February on sale @10% off + a 5% coupon discount code for ~$82. The KL257mounts for side cases were also available for an additional $125. Note: the Kappa mounts are less expensive than what Givi offers, but appear to be essentially the same.

Unless you're able to find a pre-owned set of mounts for sale, based on my experience your only choices for new mounts for a 5th- generation will require the purchase of mounting arms for a top case for use with a kit for the side cases.

Apparently Givi offered a side case mounting kit for 5th-gens w/o a top box in the past, but has since discontinued production.

I've been well-pleased by the quality and ease of mounting the Kappa side arm kit I ordered and shipping time was short (only 2 or 3 days as I recall)...

Edit: I just visited tourandride.com's website (3/14) and discovered they're offering a additional 10%-off St. Patricks Day discount starting tomorrow through the weekend (3/15-3/17...use coupon code STP2013). After this add'l discount (20% total) I calculate both Kappa mounts will be available for $189.54 [($85.86 + $124.74) = $210.60 - $21.06].

The similar Givi mounts (257FZ & PL257) will also be available for $247.50 [($112 + $163) = $275 - $27.50].

Keep in mind that the manufacturers' side arm kits do not include a Givi mounting plate.

Also, if you're not in a rush there's alway a possibility that a set of used mounts could show up for sale in this forum's classified section, or on E-bay..

pleased as punch with my wingrack2. I dont use the top box very often and it has been solid as a rock without the up and over bracket

IMG_2041.jpg

one of the reasons my set up is so solid is that it came with the now discontinued stability brace

061-1.jpg

sport

IMG_2033.jpg

tour

IMG_2034.jpg

commute

IMG_2032.jpg

I got it off the classifieds here and I cannot remember what the numbers were. Also, remember there is tube, wingrack, wingrack2 and Kappa (kappa is givi under another name) and remember that alot of the Kappa stuff is nylon, not aluminium. also do dont want anything that says "monolock" you want "monokey"

Just wanted to wrap up this post. I found a Wingrack for incredible cheap, but I had to pass one it. The mounting kit Y161 is just too hard to find. I ended up buying:

KM5 - Monrack plate
KL257 - Sidecase Hardware
KZ257 - Monorack Sidearms
All three peices shipped for $235. That was with 20% discount, well almost. 10% of each item, then 10% off order total which works out to 19% gross discount. On the Tour & Ride facebook page they had a St Patty coupon code.
So once all is said and done, I will have a hard case touring setup for $435.00. Not too shabby.
The only bad news is that I have spent my entire fun money budget this year already! Going to have to put off the ceramic coating until next year. Honestly though, I am not too upset about that. That was for mostly aesthetic purposes really. I might be able to sneak a JD suspension upgrade if I can make some money this spring selling off some stuff.

• 3 months later...

Just out of curiosity, is the Wingrack N141 worthless without the givi y161? Or is there another side case kit compatible with it?

Just wanted to wrap up this post. I found a Wingrack for incredible cheap, but I had to pass one it. The mounting kit Y161 is just too hard to find.

I researched GIVI Y161 fitting kit information for anyone else looking for the kit.

In order to fit GIVI Wingrack models: GIVI N141, GIVI N151 you will need the GIVI Y161 fitting kit. "Unfortunately [GIVI Y161 fitting kit] has now been discontinued, i.e. unless you already own one, you will not be able to fit the N141 [or N151] wingrack to your Honda VFR800 (1998-2001)"

Also, "GIVI N141 [and GIVI N151] Wingrack takes any of the [GIVI] side cases except GIVI V35 and V35 tech side cases."

source: http://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/products/627-GIVI-N141-Wingrack/

Also, "GIVI N141 [and GIVI N151] Wingrack takes any of the [GIVI] side cases except GIVI V35 and V35 tech side cases."

source: http://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/products/627-GIVI-N141-Wingrack/

Well that certainly makes me feel better! The v35's are the ones that I wanted origianlly. I certainly haven't given up on getting them. I don't know if I would trade my e41's for them. The 41's are really nice to have being so large and convenient because of the combination locked door on top. But the 35's are the perfect size though and they look great.

Thanks for the follow up on this topic. I know that would have saved me time searching.

• Member Contributer

Here is another option for mounting Givi bags: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-quick-lock-sidecarrier-honda-vfr800-interceptor-01-original-style-for-micatech-givi-trax-krauser-hepco-sidecases

No experience with them but it is a reputable brand that gets good reviews. The quick release feature is a plus. These detach leaving minimal hardware exposed. I wonder about stability and security though.

Archived