Michelin Pilot Power 3

Knute

• Member Contributer

Anyone have any feedback on the Michelin Pilot Power 3? Looks to be a new product replacement for the Pilot Power Pure.

• Member Contributer

I just put a set of the Pilot Power 3 on my 2001 VFR, which replaced the stock Dunlops. Great turn in, fantastic cold temp warm up. I have only had the chance with winter to put 500 miles on them so far, but I absolutely love them. These tires replace the Pilot Power Pure in Michelin's line up, so its def not a typo. These are not Road 3s.

Michelin says that this is a 90% street/ 10% track tire and judging from the grip this tire has I wouldnt doubt those claims. They definately seem even stickier than the 2CTs. I am really impressed with their grip when the highest temps I have run them at have been 50 degrees.

Not bad looking tires either.

post-24302-0-94022800-1361720310.jpg

post-24302-0-26498700-1361721288.jpg

• Member Contributer

I had the Pures on my '06 Speed Triple and didn't care for them nearly as much as the Pilot 2CTs. The Power 3s feel like 2CTs on steroids.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback deltaboxii. Just order a set to start this years riding season on, course I'll have to wait a month or two to ride.. frick'n winter.

I'm wondering if the PP3 would make a good substitute for the PP in the PP / PR2 combo? Or, how 'bout a PP3 / PR3 as a potential combo?

• Member Contributer

I have the PP/ PR2 combo on my '07 and although I haven't put as many miles on as I want to (yep...frickin winter) I still think that this combo will be hard to beat on the 6th gen as far as mileage vs. grip is concerned. I'm not as concerned about mileage on my 5th gen and wanted something stickier so I went with the PP3s.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback deltaboxii. Just order a set to start this years riding season on, course I'll have to wait a month or two to ride.. frick'n winter.

I'm wondering if the PP3 would make a good substitute for the PP in the PP / PR2 combo? Or, how 'bout a PP3 / PR3 as a potential combo?

I just put a new pilot road 3 on the back of my '99 and really like the tire. I thought my front Q2 had a half a season left on it, but there are a couple of areas that have me thinking that may not be the case. I'm torn between ordering a PR3 for the front, or a PP2ct, or trying one of the new PP3's. Has anyone else had a chance to put any riding time on the new PP3's yet?

• Member Contributer

I would love to, but that's not in the cards for me this year. I hope you have a great time, and I hope to hear how they worked.

Sent from taptalk on my mobile thingy

Yeah, I have about the same question. Currently have PP2 front and PR2 rear on my 2007. Gonna need to replace rear soon, thinking bump up to PR3 and leave front at PP2. Just wondering if anyone else has similar setup?

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed a set of PP3 on my 6th gen. I like the twisty stuff so I may not be able to give a good mileage/Km rating on these for straight line touring. I don't think I'll do too many long trip this summer. That may change. :cool:

I'll keep you all posted on the outcome but so far feel is great.

Guest Recalcitrance

Just installed a set of PP3's on my 6th gen today as well.

NIGHT AND DAY compared to the Pilot ROAD 3's. My goodness.

Tips in very easily and the top heaviness of the VFR goes away. Bike holds tight in the corners and you don't need to continuously push through.

Been running on PR2's for 2 years now and boy did I get a nice little surprise when I pushed into my first corner today.

Responsive.Sticky. Quick to get up to temperature. Different steering geometry and I have to remember to turn in later than when on the PR2's.

So far, I love them. Will take them to the mountains this weekend for 2 days on S6 in Palomar.

Distance? Probably nowhere near as good as the range in the PR series, but PP's 2CT aren't made for 10,000 tours.

Guest Recalcitrance

In theory, that sounds great, but....

The geometry and composition (even though they're both 2CT) of the PP and PR don't match up. The PP has an easier give and steeper shoulders. The PR rear doesn't come up to temperature nearly as fast as the PP and the shoulders on the PR are harder with less give (a lot less give) and a shallower slope from center to side.

But many people do it and say it's fine. I never mix tires as a general rule. *shrug*

• Member Contributer

I'm just going off my experience with the PP2/PR2 sets I've run the past few years, and all the positive feedback that combo received. But I do take your point about different geometry. It might take some real road experience to test out.

Guest Recalcitrance

Yeah, I don't think it would be that much of an issue to mix a PR rear and a PP front. I've just never mixed and feel it's bad mojo. *shrug* They're both great tires so it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the combo you mentioned worked well.

Guest Recalcitrance

I'll be taking the Pilot Power 3's to the mountains today and tomorrow. Will do a combination of freeway, country, and twisties. For you technical folk who need references, google up directions linking Irvine - Pala - Palomar Mountain - Santa Ysabel - Julian - Salton City - Idyllwild

Will be taking several side roads and some dirt paved roads.

I know the Pilot Powers will always make the VFR lighter on its feet (hooves), but the Pilot Roads gets phenomenal distance (12,000 miles).

Will write a report when I get back in a couple days. If you local Southern California people find yourself around any of those places listed, let me know and we can compare notes. =)

• Member Contributer

Running the PR 3's the rear wore out alot faster tan the older PR2 did. Although it felt really good too short of a life. Replaced the rear PR3 with a PR2 and still running the PR3 on the front. Not a bad combo. Not really sure why the PR3 rear wore so fast.

• Member Contributer

I was considering going with a Pilot Power 3 on the front to go along with the Pilot Road 3 that I just put on the rear. But, since most of my miles are fairly sedate commuting miles I went with a PR3 on the front to match the rear. So far I like them quite a bit. They are much smoother riding than the Q2 front/BT-16 rear that were on the bike, but that's not saying much as they were completely shot and the front was badly cupped. The turn in and transitions are a little slower, but they are very predictable. I haven't pushed them hard at all yet, but so far so good. :smile:

Running the PR 3's the rear wore out alot faster tan the older PR2 did. Although it felt really good too short of a life. Replaced the rear PR3 with a PR2 and still running the PR3 on the front. Not a bad combo. Not really sure why the PR3 rear wore so fast.

I knew there was no way they were going to improve the road 2 rears, without out screwing something up. Sounds like they traded better rain performance for some of the exceptional life. I would not buy the road 2 for its performance alone, its mainly cause the 2 road has enough performance, that the Life it gets makes it near unbeatable, from a cost/performance per mile perspective.

Guest Recalcitrance

Pilot Power 3 follow-up review.

Weight: Stock 6th Gen. Full tank. 15lb tank bag. 20lbs over tail. 135lb rider.

Route: Palomar Mountain and Ortega Highway. Mesa Grande. S6. S7. Ortega 74.

Report: Went to Palomar Mountain for the past 2 days. Just got back a couple hours ago happy as can be. Performance, grip, quick temperature, responsiveness: all very good. Made my VFR feel like my CBR600rr....or just about.

I know these tires will not last nearly as long as the PR2's and it's not surprising that the PR3's have lost some of their mileage simply due to their tread pattern.

For the short couple years I've had my 6th gen, I've only ever run Pilot ROAD 2's. I've always gotten tremendous mileage out of them and they've always performed well; however, the bike has always felt heavy and fights me in tight high speed turns. Never felt fully confident leaning in to the edges.

With the Pilot Power 3's, the bike is almost unrecognizable in corners. U-turns have also become easier and the weight of the bike disappears.

Over the years and on my other bikes which are more race and track, I've run (in no particular order) Pilot Power 2, BT016, and Q2 on the CBR600, CBRXX, and R1. They all felt the way they were supposed to feel - like race bikes.

The VFR has always felt like a great and loyal hunting dog that's in need of a diet. Love it and take it everywhere, but never fully reaches its aspirations.

The PP3's have changed that and though I'm definitely not on some track bike reincarnated in the wrong body, I'm definitely happier and will most likely continue using the PP3's and not the new PR3's...though the PR2 rear w/ the PP3 front sounds like a nice combination.

That's it for now. Ride safe.

Mine 6th Gen is my first sport touring bike, my other bike is an 06 1000RR, and I was very pleased with my pilots Road 3's. I bought the bike with gently used pilot powers and I prefer the road 3's over them.

My first real test was over this weekends TMac and I didn't have one slip up, the bike just falls in the corner and is very stable, and since buying the bike this is the most aggressive I've been with it. Generally if I'm out for some spirited riding I take the cbr. If they last longer than the pilot power, ~3000 miles, I'll buy them again.

However, I'd like to try the power 3 on my cbr at the next track day, if I can swing one this year.

• Member Contributer

We do not like the PP3 front/ PR3 rear combo. I have always been a michelin guy even though I have run some other sport brands in recent years including Pirelli Diablo Corsas and Metzler Z6? (I think). We generally run PR3 rear and PP front but the shoulder on the front PP3 has no siping within about 1.25 inches of the shoulder.

I have passed on double yellow in the rain and had to clean my shorts on cold wet tar snakes in the rain but a surprise shower (pretty heavy downpour actually) caught us out at TxMac and the front was pulled out from under my sons VFR when he put enough lean on the front that he was on the last 1 1/2 or so. We initially thought the bike had went down on that section when he touched the yellow line in the rain but we went back by scene of the incident on Saturday at TxMac and again later and we now believe that he touched the yellow after losing the front in the rain.

To be fair that tire had 800 really great miles on it prior to that incident but i do not trust it in the wet now so I don't think it would be a good match for running with a sport/tour rear. It will probably be perfect for track days or for someone who never rides in the wet.

Archived