5Th Gen Wheel Bearings

Guest mikethaninefive

Guest mikethaninefive

Sorry if this has been done before I searched and didn't really find anything. Is there a high quality replacement for the wheel bearings? I've heard mixed reviews of All Balls most of which leaned toward the bad. I'd really like to find a quality Japanese or German made solution but after googling the past two hours I'm more confused than I was to start. I don't want schmancy ceramic bearings, I just want a nice high quality precision replacement like Nachi but the ordering part is confusing.

After checking around the web the common consensus is that Honda just sources the cheapest they can and plop it in a Honda bag and mark it up. I'm trying to avoid the Chinese stuff b/c I have an irrational fear of the front wheel wobbling or coming apart. I know a 5th gen isn't much to a lot of people but I deeply care about this bike, I've waited ever since I got my license to get a motorcycle and it took a lot of hard work, saving and disappointment before it finally happened. The bike and I have been through a lot and she's taken pretty good care of me so the small investment is well worth the piece of mind to me. Before I get flamed- yes I know this is ridiculous and silly.

There are many good bearing manufacturers out there, NSK and FAG being but two of them. If you remove your existing bearings and bring them to an industrial bearing supply house, they can cross reference them to another manufacturer. I bought rear wheel bearings for my 1983 VF750 for like 1/3 of what Honda wanted for them. Bear in mind that some bearings are "special" and not available elsewhere. RC51 front wheel bearings for example. Their I.D. is uncommon, and NACHI makes them just for Honda. The western Canadian NACHI bearing distributor in Edmonton could not source them, and he had my old ones sitting right in his hands. Check in your yellow pages under BEARING, and you should be able to find a specialty industrial place that sells only bearings and nothing else.

There are many good bearing manufacturers out there, NSK and FAG being but two of them. If you remove your existing bearings and bring them to an industrial bearing supply house, they can cross reference them to another manufacturer. I bought rear wheel bearings for my 1983 VF750 for like 1/3 of what Honda wanted for them. Bear in mind that some bearings are "special" and not available elsewhere. RC51 front wheel bearings for example. Their I.D. is uncommon, and NACHI makes them just for Honda. The western Canadian NACHI bearing distributor in Edmonton could not source them, and he had my old ones sitting right in his hands. Check in your yellow pages under BEARING, and you should be able to find a specialty industrial place that sells only bearings and nothing else.

Thanks! Just the answer I was looking for :)

• Forum CEO

Still looking for this bearing supply warehouse everybody keeps talking about, does it have an address and a phone number? LOL been looking for it for 10 years now!

OEMs are fine, sealed and handle the load just fine, I suppose you can go to a napa autoparts store and source a bearing of the same size, they had a fuel injector oring kit for my 98 complete with the nitrile stops too, good kit.

• Member Contributer

I've bought bearings for my woodworking machines from these guys, and would call them without hesitation for my VFR.

http://www.accuratebearing.com/index.php

Terrific staff, and you can get exactly what you want with a quick phone call.

Please please post what you end up doing, and how the experience went. It would be a useful reference for future searches.

Aram

Still looking for this bearing supply warehouse everybody keeps talking about, does it have an address and a phone number? LOL been looking for it for 10 years now!

Well, maybe they are more prevalent where there are sawmills, paper mills, pulp mills, oilfields and other heavy industry that needs bearings.

Edmonton has a bunch of them all over the place, and it's just over 800,000 people.

http://www.google.com/search?q=bearing+supply&safe=active

I've bought bearings for my woodworking machines from these guys, and would call them without hesitation for my VFR.

http://www.accuratebearing.com/index.php

Terrific staff, and you can get exactly what you want with a quick phone call.

Please please post what you end up doing, and how the experience went. It would be a useful reference for future searches.

Aram

Will do, I like this kind of thing. I could just try the all balls or OEM but the hunt is a lot more fun :) It's this stuff that keeps me sane while it's too cold to ride. In NY I only had about 5 or 6 months to ride if I didn't travel for work. By doing the "funky colored brake lines" and farkling you really learn a lot about your bike and as silly as it sounds kinda bond with it. I know some people look down on it but to each their own :) Being relitively new to motorcycles, it's the unneccesary add on's that have really taught me a lot (not that I know a lot) about them. I've fabbed up stuff and loved it (CBR 929 shock conversion, side mount plate) and while I caught a lot of flack for the plate mount I like it and am proud that I designed and fabbed it. Sorry for the rambling, I'm having knee surgery on the fourth and the hydrocodone they gave me for the mean time is kicking in :blink:

• Member Contributer

Nachi are what came out of my wheel last year when I changed bearings. I'm thinking that's what Honda sent me for replacements, but I don't recall for sure. My guess is that I would remember if they had been different.

• 4 years later...
  • Member Contributer
On 1/21/2013 at 9:13 PM, Veefer800Canuck said:

Well, maybe they are more prevalent where there are sawmills, paper mills, pulp mills, oilfields and other heavy industry that needs bearings.

Edmonton has a bunch of them all over the place, and it's just over 800,000 people.

http://www.google.com/search?q=bearing+supply&safe=active

Ok mr VFer800   any idea of where to find 6th gen sizing or part #s as i am on the hunt... Beside taking in the bearings and hoping for a match.

• Member Contributer
On 2/17/2017 at 9:11 PM, Axel_7 said:

Ok mr VFer800   any idea of where to find 6th gen sizing or part #s as i am on the hunt... Beside taking in the bearings and hoping for a match.

Partzilla, Ron Ayers...  Standard bearings are listed in the parts microfiche by part number--and bearing number.  Wheel bearings, for example, are nearly always standard sizes you can get anywhere.  You could also look on the bearing itself for the bearing number, but that usually involves taking the bike apart and leaving it apart whilst you search for the new bearings...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I actually have a bearing and seal for a 5 Gen front wheel sitting at my desk, if anyone needs the info.

• Member Contributer

Standard 6204 sealed bearings. FAG, NSK or similar . I bought a set last year for $12 at a local industrial supply store. Can also try someplace that repairs heavy equipment or farm machinery. 

Yes I went with Nachi on that site http://www.vxb.com for all of my bikes.  Go with Japanese brand from what I hear their tolerances and durability are better than generic/chinese brands.  I have All Balls in my Hawk for 2 years now and I will inspect them once my order arrives and follow up with update to their condition.

Art

• Member Contributer

I knew the vxb website looked familiar, Motorcyclist Magazine did a couple of videos on bearings, one on how to replace them, then other on how to decode the numbers on them. They even gave a link to vxb. The video in this link is on how to decode them, thought I throw this in for good measure.

Bearing decode how-to video

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

As I was looking for other MC related items, I stumbled onto this... http://www.engineerstudent.co.uk/bearing_numbers_explained.html

As well as another site that sells bearings, maybe better for the EU folks. https://www.123bearing.com/  Although I did buy a few from them to see how their service is. Other than taking a few more days to get here, I got exactly what I ordered and no issues...knock on wood. Ironically VXB is located in Anaheim, CA. but I found the 123Bearing web site a little more easier to navigate and find stuff.

• Member Contributer

I can say that NOT all Honda bearings are great. Having had five fifth gens, they all needed steering head bearings, some before 30,000 mi. They are ball bearings and apparently not great. I've had them all replaced, once, with All Balls roller tapered bearings and it has ceased to be an issue. I've never changed any other bearings, even on my 105,000 mi. fifth gen. Lucky? Dumb?

• Member Contributer

Honda bearings are fine, just more expensive than you can get from other sources.

Ciao,

Sent from my SM-T365 using Tapatalk

Archived