86 Interceptor 500 Starting Issue, Possibly A Fueling Problem?

Guest moreirdan

Guest moreirdan

86 Interceptor 500 Starting Issue, possibly a fueling problem?

I have bought a 1986 Interceptor 500 and it has some sort of starting issue. When it is warm, it starts well. There seems to be no problem. However, when it is cold it is very hard to start. It starts, runs for a little while and then gradually dies. However if I use the choke, and by judicious very small throttle movements, it may be able to be got running.

I am reluctant to start disassembling anything until I have a better idea of what may be the problem. This model has no fuel pump and appears to have no lines going to the
other than that which is connected from the tank to the carbs to delver the fuel.

I wonder if anyone here has any idea as to where to start looking.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I tend to think the ambient temp. doesn't have anything to do with it if you can let it idle up to operating temperature. First try ruling out fuel delivery issues. Check any inline filter if you have one. Be sure to have good flow off the petcock at the bottom of the tank. If gas is entering the carbs ok then give the carbs a good look over and cleaning. I have done this to a limited capacity while still on the bike. I take carb cleaner to anything I can get to and assure all parts are moving freely and no obvious bits or particles are clogging anything. Are diaphragms seated properly, pliable and in good condition? Then go to spark if that doesn't get a response. Other posters are more qualified then me but that would be my first root around.

Best,

Austin

• Member Contributer

You may need a valve adjustment.

My 86 VF-500F never had a starting issue, but my Yamaha FZ-750 behaved exactly like you said. After a valve adjustment I never had starting issues with it again.

The choke tubes may be clogged, not an uncommon problem. Removing the carbs for a thorough cleaning, rebuild & syncing, although kind of a PITA, is well worth the effort in the end. NPI.

Archived