Tires- Metzeller M5

JimmyD

• Member Contributer

have them on my 5 gen and dont like them for road and cold starts. priors were battlax and pilots.

ive been told m5 are good for hot twistie runs .

I had them on my 6th gen and really liked them. Little bit slippery when very cold just starting off but after 10-15kms and warm they never let go. Will be putting the Z8 on my 7th gen to get a bit more kms out of them.

I've just done 7000 kms on Dunlop Sportsmarts on the VFR1200. These were a chance buy as needed tyres at short notice when OEM Roadsmarts gave out at only 4500 kms. The Sportsmarts have been excellent and are still just legal (1.6 mm on back, 2 mm on front). I note Bike magazine gave these tyres 5 stars. However tomorrow I am getting Michelin Pilot 3s fitted as about to tour the South Island. I'll be interested how they compare as everyone raves about them. Bike magazine gave them 4 stars, one less than the Sportsmarts. Interestingly they only give the Metzeler Sporttec M5 2 stars, saying they had good grip but poor wear.

Bike magazine I'm referencing is Dec 2011.

I had them on my 6th gen and really liked them. Little bit slippery when very cold just starting off but after 10-15kms and warm they never let go. Will be putting the Z8 on my 7th gen to get a bit more kms out of them.

How many clicks did you get out of your m5's

How many clicks did you get out of your m5's

It varied. One rear got a huge cut in it that killed it after 2,000km. The other 3 probably averaged about 10,000km out of each with 8,000km being the worse. I was not really that hard on them as policing here quite hard. The front I was getting about 18,000kms out of.

• 1 month later...

Will be installing M5 on the VFR this weekend. I liked the PR3 on the C14 but prefer something a bit more sporting for the Viffer. Metzeler recommends M5's predecessor, M3, for the BMW K1300S, which is probably closes to VFR1200 in terms of power, weight, and intended use. I don't ride any one of my bikes long enough for mileage to matter much.

BTW, when you say: "...Little bit slippery when very cold just starting off", how cold is cold? Temps around here rarely dips below freezing. Stays above 40F for most of the "Winter", if you could even call it that.

I've been running the M5's for the last year, I toasted the front. I think I got 3500 out of it. the rear is going to be changed out shortly, probably mid January. I typically go on twisties and the roads a pretty abrasive, not that much straight highway riding. I also run the whole width of the tire. Those pesky little lean angle indicators get wiped clean off.

I run them slightly less than max pressure. They might have a bit more heat in them due to that. So warmup hasn't been an issue.

Overall they have great grip, I would never go with the sport touring tire Z-8/ Z6 that I once had. M5 has much better grip when leaned over.

I'm sold on the Metzler's. My rides a 2002 800. I ride with the hard bags and a small air compressor. (just in Case), So some additional weight not 30 lbs and I'm light 142 lbs.

Ride them hard. You'll like them, just be prepared. You'll be buying a new set next year.

Jim

• Member Contributer

The December 2012 issue of Sport Rider has a tire test of a large group of tires, and the M5 was one of the lower rated tires. -- Just FYI, I have no experience with this tire.

• Member Contributer
I read that article they said it felt heavy and was more of a sport touring tire. Funny since they come stock on the BMW S1000?

Sport Rider magazine says the S1000RR comes with Conti SportAttack 2's

http://www.sportrider.com/gear/146_1208_2012_contisportattack_2_tires/

My bad, this is from the Sport rider tire article...Truthfully, the Sportec M5 Interact just has that heavy, durable feel of a sport-touring tire compared to the others in this group. And the wear rates almost seem to confirm that assessment, with the Metzelers looking basically like they’d been nicely scrubbed in.

Read more: http://www.sportrider.com/gear/146_1212_2012_street_tire_test/viewall.html#ixzz2FWv9eSDK

Ride on!

• Member Contributer
My bad, this is from the Sport rider tire article...Truthfully, the Sportec M5 Interact just has that heavy, durable feel of a sport-touring tire compared to the others in this group. And the wear rates almost seem to confirm that assessment, with the Metzelers looking basically like they’d been nicely scrubbed in.

Read more: http://www.sportrider.com/gear/146_1212_2012_street_tire_test/viewall.html#ixzz2FWv9eSDK

Ride on!

I wish they threw in the old Michelins anyways for comparison. Sure, they're coming out with a new tire, but you are still going to be able to buy the old ones. And it's not like the other tires were just released in the last month or two. Their reason for not including lap times was also weak. If I ever make it out to a track, I'm not going to spend $400+ on tires well beyond my ability, I'm going to get some PPs or some other sport tire.

Suprised that the Rosso's ranked so low. I have the previous version on the 96, and when I got to moderately push them at SumSum they felt really nice.

I have that issue and read that comparo. They are comparing M5 to S20, Q2, etc. I had S20 on my RSV1000R before I sold it, and Q2 currently on my Gixxer600 track bike (novice class). They are great "Hypersport" tires, but I don't necessarily want them on the VFR. If anything, what that article said is that M5 is better suited for the VFR - a sport tourer with some serious sporting ability.

They probably should have compared the Mezteler Racetech and Diablo Corsa instead.

Michelin PR2's will most likely grip better and wear longer than the M5 or most other Sport or ST tire IMO. There no Hypersport tire, but there very good.

Old Pilot Powers would probably out perform and out last the M5 also.

Q2's are a great tire, just don't last long on the street.

BR

• Member Contributer

Running a test on the new Roadsmart rear matched up with a Q2 front. I ran down some sport riding nut-jobs a few weeks ago on the Dragon and I was draggin hard parts all the way. Good tire combo with the exception of the front shaking when riding no-handed. Gonna re-balance but I suspect the Q2 front is just too sensitive to different tire combos. Maybe the Givi box is a contributing factor as well.

I have yet to try a Conti so maybe give them a test next but I am hooked to the near track level grip I get from the Q2 or S20. I also need to try the pilot pures.

KEB

Archived