Great deal? and a couple more ??'s

• Member Contributer

Hi everyone,

Been a member for awhile now, I just got a new sign, forgot the old one. I am on a few forums with various bikes. I read a lot, but rarely contribute to forums due to the lack of knowledge of my VFR.

I am enjoying the Road trip threads. The girlfriend and I did an 11000 mile 6 week trip on 4 wheels last year, including 17 of the best national parks in the country. Only spent 4 nights in a hotel, rest camped. Now I want to do one on 2 wheels.

I have a 94'. It was my second bike, and have now owned it for 8 years. I laid it down pretty hard twice(once on each side of course). The tires did not like the wet brick streets of Athens Ohio during college. The fairings are beat up, but not too bad and likely fixable. I have bought two more bikes since, a 99 blackbird, and 97 magna. But I have held onto the VFR, riding it just enough to maintain, with the intentions of keeping forever and restoring or customizing. I have the V four love. The sound from my old yosh slip-on is amazing compared to the 3 other bikes I own/owned. I just dont ride it as much because of the RR problem which I have been procrastinating due to other bikes, but am now ready to deal with this(VFRness likely). I am always searching for fairings also.

Anyway, I have come across some decent looking fairings, not perfect, but better than mine. $150 for the attached picture, all the fairing pieces. The left side has some scratches and small chunks.

There are currently a couple on ebay right now, but surprisingly are not selling. They are rarely found on ebay, and as usual these are scratched up too. I have seen just a side fairing sell for 200 with cracks and scratches.

Soo... jump on the 150 deal? Fix my own?

Does anyone have experience with colorrite? Could not find much upon searching the forum. if I were to fiberglass, plastic weld, wet sand, and prep my fairings... how well does colorrite match?

Or just screw it, sell the broken fairings, and go nakey?

A little buzzed and long winded, but

.... if someone could answer the 37 questions I asked in this post it would be greatly appreciated. Or just recommendations.

Pictures are of the for sale fairings, and my bike currently.

post-26119-0-74785000-1351069888.jpg

post-26119-0-06934300-1351070019.jpg

post-26119-0-29904000-1351070125.jpg

• Member Contributer

If you are going to fix your R/R problems, I would suggest upgrading to a '98-'99 R/R for the VFR. Tightwad (wiremybike.com) can make you a custom VFRness to fit your 4th gen. It is a much stronger R/R than the standard one for the 4th gen. I have the upgraded VFRness, the 5th gen Rick's R/R, Rick's stator and a new Yuasa battery with no problems to date. I would also recommend a volt meter for a heads up on any potential problems.

Chuck

• Member Contributer

If you are going to fix your R/R problems, I would suggest upgrading to a '98-'99 R/R for the VFR. Tightwad (wiremybike.com) can make you a custom VFRness to fit your 4th gen. It is a much stronger R/R than the standard one for the 4th gen. I have the upgraded VFRness, the 5th gen Rick's R/R, Rick's stator and a new Yuasa battery with no problems to date. I would also recommend a volt meter for a heads up on any potential problems.

Chuck

Always riding with a voltmeter. I can ride about 15 miles with correct charging, until the RR gets overheated and begins overcharging. I figure a 15 minute ride every now and then with a trickle charge every now and then will do justice, along with some Sta-bil.

I am familiar with wiremybike. How many miles have you put on the bike since install?

I just dont ride it as much because of the RR problem which I have been procrastinating due to other bikes, but am now ready to deal with this(VFRness likely).

I can't help you with fairings but as you mentioned planning for a long trip and having trouble with the RR overheating I recommend getting a newer model RR with cooling fins and relocating it to a cooler area. Here you'll find a topic on how I tackled this overheating problem. This was all done in 2006 and 80K km later it still works like a charm, it even has the same battery I replaced just prior of this modifiaction.

Hi project94vfr,

To bad you're 350 miles away from me. It appears a great number of our upper front side fairings become abused. One main reason is they stick out more than the other fairings. It seems nearly all the these fairings are subject to parking rash around our turn signals, and when they do go down, nasty things begin to happen! I've studied your upper left front fairing. It can be repaired. If you decide you want to go naked, I'd be interested in possibly buying your fairings. For your own information, there's a thread covering how to repair your damaged fairings. It's under the third and fourth VFR generation section. The title is How to repair broken, or How to repair ABS body tabs, and hair line cracks. In it's most recent post a front upper left fairing is now the process of being repaired.

Archived