84 vf750 and 85 vf700 part swap

Guest comradewithers

Guest comradewithers

Howdy Riders,

I'm new here and I recently bought myself a 1984 vf750 in fair condition with 23k miles for $1000.

I don't have any photos on my computer of it, or i'd post them for yall.

The bike needs some work and tlc and over this coming winter i'll be attempting to get it up and going full time.

I'm fairly impressed with the bike given its age compared to my gz250. I can finally hit those highways!

However lets get to my question.

There is an advert for a 1985 vf700 for 500 dollars, and it was in a wreck. The ad states that the seller has all the parts for it, to get back together. I thought I might beable to get him down to $300 or so, especially so if I cant hear it run.

My 1984 has the dreaded "second gear clutch slip" due to being abused by it's past rider.

I know that It is more or less the Cog in the tranny that might have a chipped tooth.

Sooooooo.... I was wondering it the gearbox for the 1985 vf700 would bolt straight up to my bike? Given the different engine size.

And if Anyone knew of what parts wouldn't interchange with the two bikes, I'd wish to know.

I'm just interested in having a parts bike. and hell maybe cover the cost it by parting it out after I get everything off that I need/want.

Thank you.

Most everything should interchange between the two bikes, chassis-wise.

The 750's bore/stroke is 70.0 mm x 48.6 mm

The 700's bore/stroke is 70x45.4

So I am going to guess that the rods/crank are different due to being de-stroked. Whether or not that includes the crank output gear, (# of teeth) I don't know.

The transmission shafts should interchange, but if there is any different in individual gear ratios, I don't know.

For that price, and the availability of spares, I would buy it. Strip it for what you need, and part out the rest. It'll be worth the money you've got into it for sure.

If I remember correctly, Honda changed the primary drive ratio and the cam timing slightly when they changed from 750 cc to 700 cc. Check the origianl specs for the two bikes.

Archived