"Well, you're a long way from home..." 21 Days Across the United States

Wow. just finished reading this with my wife. It's been my nighttime reading after the kids go to bed. Thanks to the awesome pictures it has given me & my wife ideas about a cross country trek ourselves. Now if we could only find someone with nothing to do to watch the little ones

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I just noticed that you were in the driveway of the Kiva Koffehouse along Hwy 12 in the Grand Staircase. I too stopped tbere on my recent trip but unfortunately it was on a Tuesday their only closure of the week. Did you happen to go inside? A very unique establishment built by a man with a taste for artistry. I wish I could have gone inside.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

Patrick,

Like everyone else, I really enjoyed reading your trip and seeing the awesome sights. I got to ask a couple questions though. Many, if not most of your pics, you are in the middle of nowhere. Did you carry any kind of GSP tracker (SPOT, etc.) with you as a backup plan if the VFR failed you at any point. I'm assuming cell coverage was non-existent in those areas. I can see going to hit the starter at Muley Point and 'click'. Would not be good! Had to be in the back of your mind after the problem you thought you had early on in the trip (which turned out to be a loose battery cable I think you said). Also, you seemed to pack very well and didn't appear to have that much with you. How do you pack clothes for 21 days? I'm embarrassed to say I had more stuff on my bike to attend TMAC back in May for a 3 night stay (in a motel no less) than you had on your trip!

Chuck

8060138726_4f57f34823_b.jpg

Hard to beat a view like that when waking up in the morning. Spectacular!

THATS A CALENDER SHOT.

I think HONDA should use this photo to help promote VFR'S, even if the 800 is dicontinued. Patrick, you have ventured out an become an inspiration for a lot of people. I KNOW that a photo doesn't do most things justice, but you sir, have done a better job than most any professional photographer has done. These photos and journal entries have been better than any magazine or photo book that I have ever seen. I was absolutely amazed at the photos and could just look at those for endless amounts of time. I am so glad to come across this thread and THANK YOU for posting it.

8060138726_4f57f34823_b.jpg
Hard to beat a view like that when waking up in the morning. Spectacular!
THATS A CALENDER SHOT.
I think HONDA should use this photo to help promote VFR'S, even if the 800 is dicontinued. Patrick, you have ventured out an become an inspiration for a lot of people. I KNOW that a photo doesn't do most things justice, but you sir, have done a better job than most any professional photographer has done. These photos and journal entries have been better than any magazine or photo book that I have ever seen. I was absolutely amazed at the photos and could just look at those for endless amounts of time. I am so glad to come across this thread and THANK YOU for posting it.

Thank you very much for the compliment, Church. Im real glad you think so and am happy to inspire. The photo is almost perfect, if only my boots werent hanging off the mirrors to avoid scorpions squatting in them... Thanks again for reading.

Patrick, Like everyone else, I really enjoyed reading your trip and seeing the awesome sights. I got to ask a couple questions though. Many, if not most of your pics, you are in the middle of nowhere. Did you carry any kind of GSP tracker (SPOT, etc.) with you as a backup plan if the VFR failed you at any point. I'm assuming cell coverage was non-existent in those areas. I can see going to hit the starter at Muley Point and 'click'. Would not be good! Had to be in the back of your mind after the problem you thought you had early on in the trip (which turned out to be a loose battery cable I think you said). Also, you seemed to pack very well and didn't appear to have that much with you. How do you pack clothes for 21 days? I'm embarrassed to say I had more stuff on my bike to attend TMAC back in May for a 3 night stay (in a motel no less) than you had on your trip! Chuck

Chuck, I did have a SPOT that I rented. Being solo, this was a nice thing to have. I guess I failed to mention that in the report. There was a lot of areas with zero cell coverage. Thankfully, the VFR is amazingly reliable and that idea was solidified by the end of the trip.

I had a chance to test pack my set up on a trip to West Virginia a month before I left on this trek. I think that on the next trip, I could even bring less. The Wolfman dry bag was awesome for anything compressible (clothes, tent, bag, etc). I had a small (10x6) bag that held my clothes. If I couldn't fit it, it didnt come with me. I had a few pairs of underwear and socks, a couple t-shirts, and a couple baselayers. When I had the chance, I'd wash them in a hotel sink. Sometimes you need to wear the same thing for a few days. and not having to impress anyone, this was easy. Having clothes to sleep in was an important choice too.

I just noticed that you were in the driveway of the Kiva Koffehouse along Hwy 12 in the Grand Staircase. I too stopped tbere on my recent trip but unfortunately it was on a Tuesday their only closure of the week. Did you happen to go inside? A very unique establishment built by a man with a taste for artistry. I wish I could have gone inside. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I got a chance to stop there. I needed a hit of caffiene. Unfortunately, the line was about 12 deep so I walked out. It seemed like a real cool place inside, just too busy at the moment... Next time

• Member Contributer

8060214588_b4786b586b_b.jpg

Day 20, September 20th 2012

Leasburg MO to Springfield OH - 492 miles

Direct excerpt from my journal:

"I-44, St Louis, I-70, iPod on Shuffle all day, tractor trailers, cops everywhere, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, miles, miles, miles..."

Not much to report today. A Pretty mindless, drone of a day. I camped at Buck Creek State Park in Springfield near Dayton OH. Its a real nice place and very quiet. I was the only camper. Expensive camping for a state park though.

8069029913_8ec18ac4ac_b.jpg

8069033621_c4a0f58755_b.jpg

We were talking about the "fungus" at work and all got a good laugh out of that. Squirrels, cattle, and deer like to eat what we call "Hedge Balls". My friend Troy had some good game camera photos of deer eating hedge balls.

8096187782_bb7474a765_z.jpg

8096181211_333958fd35_z.jpg

http://en.wikipedia....aclura_pomifera

We call em monkey balls. Ha, fungus. I am loving your trip. I did nearly the same exact trip starting from cleveland, in reverse. I hit the exact same national parks, it was amazing.

This is an awesome trip, thanks for recording it so well and sharing it. I just bought my 1st VFR and needless to say, I am insipred. Question, and maybe it was already asked but I missed it, but what kind of camera were you using?!? Awesome shots...

Not much to report today. A Pretty mindless, drone of a day. I camped at Buck Creek State Park in Springfield near Dayton OH. Its a real nice place and very quiet. I was the only camper. Expensive camping for a state park though.

8069029913_8ec18ac4ac_b.jpg

I really love this way of travel. Last time in US I was not preparing for that so I gotta be in some motel, cabins...

Let's see next time.

Great report and photos.

• Member Contributer

I just spent the last hour reading the whole report. I agree with HS, your photography is excellent. It was most enjoyable to follow along on your adventure. Thank you for posting.

Thanks again for reading, everyone. I appreciate the comments on the photography too, as it was a big part of it for me. I can't wait for the next trip and it's photos...

I've had a few questions about what I brought, or how I packed my bike for a longer trip such as this. You really dont need to bring much at all. Whatever you do take can be easily organized into small, inexpensive bags. I kept the emergency and frequently used stuff in the right case. The lesser used, incompressible stuff went in the left case. Anything compressible, like tent/clothes/sleeping bag, went on the tail in a dry duffle bag.

post-23534-0-82231300-1352077655.jpg

• Member Contributer

I thank you for sharing your experience. I will be reviewing these posts for a long time in order to inspire me to do those trips that I have always wanted to do but tell myself that I don't have the time. The point is to make the time before it runs out. Excuses be damned. I feel that even this medium is small for you. Do you have a website or a blog that you expand your story on? If you did I would like to read it. Funny how the thoughts roam within the helmet while on such a long trip. I.E. Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.

All the best on future trips and endeavors!! Be sure to keep us informed.

Austin

I thank you for sharing your experience. I will be reviewing these posts for a long time in order to inspire me to do those trips that I have always wanted to do but tell myself that I don't have the time. The point is to make the time before it runs out. Excuses be damned. I feel that even this medium is small for you. Do you have a website or a blog that you expand your story on? If you did I would like to read it. Funny how the thoughts roam within the helmet while on such a long trip. I.E. Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.

All the best on future trips and endeavors!! Be sure to keep us informed.

Austin

Thank you, Austin.

It is true what you say. No one will say at the end of their time here, "Shit. You know, I really wish I had worked more." This trip has changed me in a big way. Ever since I've returned, I keep trying to come up with strategies that would allow for me to travel more and work (for someone else at least) a whole lot less... Of course, we need to do something to afford our hobbies. However, I just turned 31 a few weeks ago and I'm quickly realizing how much longer than that I will be dead for.

Do whatever you can to take a trip. I wish you good luck with it, you won't regret it.

I did create a blog from the ride report that I've posted here, and on advrider.com. Unfortunately, its not expanded as much as I'd like. I will, however, add more content in the future (travels, rebuilds, whatever). You can check it out here ( wellyourealongwayfromhome.wordpress.com)

Excellent photography... nice trip... I don't suppose you're a professional photographer?

Thank you for reading! I am not a professional photographer. However, I would not shy away from becoming a better photographer and advancing to that level. Thanks for the compliment.

I am going to assume both flasks were stored in the frequently used right case, well done.

That would be an accurate assumption :)

Patrick,

I've spent the last few days at work reading of your amazing trip, of course I may be sacked for doing so but hope springs eternal :smile: Anyway I just wanted to add my thanks to those already posted and say well done on the write up and fantastic photo's. Normally trip narratives can be overly long and without many photo's and so I think many people lose interest after the first few posts. Yours however was brief with the saline points narrated very well, the photo's excellent and kept everyone wanting the next instalment.

One thing I was going to ask was apart from the tent and sleeping bag plus a few obvious items I couldn't work out what was in all the other bags, care to enlighten me. I can then steal your idea's and go off on my own trip :tour:

Thanks again

John

Thanks John. I appreciate the comment. I enjoy reading reports in this style and didn't want to get too carried away in specifics and bike talk. It's more about the journey and not the toys. Photography was the basis for this report (trip, even) and Im glad you enjoyed it all...

And here I go, giving away my secrets. Thanks Microsoft Paint.

post-23534-0-10555900-1353000721.jpg

Archived