Is it ok to do this?

canadianvfr

• Member Contributer

I just picked up a new to me 2008 1400ZX with 3100KM on the clock and the rear tire size is 190/55zr/17, can i swap it out with a 180/55zr/17?

How will this effect the handeling aspects of the bike? Am I putting myself at risk?

Reason I want to go with this is I bought a front and rear Pirelli Corsa III for $100 .

My buds and I are taking a trip state side for a week so the VFR will run alongside the Kawasaki 1400.

THanks

• Member Contributer

Oem is a 190/50, and using a 190/55 series profile will quicken the geometry and give you a more round profile. All good according to most reports.

Using a 180/55 will lower your rear, slowing the geometry again, and create a lazy profile because it is stretched out over a wide rim, and being a 180/55, will have a shorter profile.

If you are not an aggressive rider, and do not attack corners/burn your chicken strips, I would say you should not have probs.

• Member Contributer

Sacifice peace of mind and knowing you have the right tire for $100????

Ymmv

going to the 180 , its skinnier, its also shorter(less diameter, so it will squat the rear of the bike, you need like a 180/60, to have the same height, course I dont think they make it. But better to stick to the same diameter cause , less diameter on the rear will slow the handling.

• Member Contributer

I checked into the tire size for the bike and it calls for a 190/55z/17 tire, so I went ahead and ordered a replacement, I will put the new Pirelli Corsa III on the VFR!

Dutchy, the Pirelli Corsa III were $100 new and still wrapped, seems the Powerhouse Honda dealer in Salmon Arm and Vernon BC was shut down by Honda, who'd have guessed? Piss poor sales and a lousy attitude killed the dealers not to mention the crazy prices for bikes.

Archived