New Continental Contimotions review

Guest rid34fun

Guest rid34fun

Well, the real estate tax bill went up $1k this year, so to keep the kids college fund going too, I had to buy a less expensive set of tires for the 99 vfr. I read a lot of reviews before buying the Contimotions. I lie Continental and figured they can't be to bad. I commute about 25 miles per day and weekend rides. My old tire was a Dunlop Sportmax Q2. They were good, except for a little cupping in the front. Got 4k out of them.

The Motions are fantastic! Perfect for the commuter and sporty rider too. They turn in just like the Dunlops, and hold the line very true. They don't fall in, they are very, very neutral. Grip is great, breaking is extremely secure(don't ask how I know that...ask the texters). Wet is also very good. I ride carefully, so no limit testing in the rain, but confidence is very good. Overall, I could not ask for a better tire, regardless of price, but feel extra good that they were $157 delivered. No idea on mileage, but guess more than the Dunlops, and that is enough for me!

Happy riding.

• Member Contributer

They will be much better than the dunflops. I put them on my dad's RWB and they do feel really nice. They turn in well, but not as aggressive as a PP. For the price, you can't really ask for much more.

• Member Contributer

I have one on the rear after a flat in Ohio in June and am loving it!!!The tire no tthe flat! Going to get a front to match, but out of stock at the moment from my supplier.

I got a set of Conti Motions for $155 shipped from Motosport.com late last year. Love 'em. Looks like the price jumped to $180 shipped but still a bargain.

They are very nice and feel every bit as good as the as the Conti Road Attacks they replaced.

Thanks for all the replies. I have a few hundred more miles now, and they are really performing great. Stable and secure upright or leaning. What a great deal.

I got mine from Chaparral Racing. I watched prices for several weeks, and when I saw a dip in the price, I pulled the trigger. Keep watching all the sites, one will come up with a deal sooner or later if you have the time. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Chaparral has these in VFR sizes for $165 for a set. Does anyone else have experience with mileage on these? I need a new set of tires. I've been getting ~9000 miles out of the Shinko 009s. These are the same price, if I can get similar mileage out of them I might give them a shot.

• Member Contributer

I am a heavy rider (270 before gear), and I got over 5000 on my first Conti Motion rear. Still going on the first front (about 5-6000). Recently moved to Florida, and have been concerned with the heat and riding more miles during my commute (more miles at one sitting may wear them more) but I have been very happy with them. Strictly due to my size I have been considering PR3 in the "B" tire, which is made for heavier bikes like the big BMWs.

That said, my VFR handles great with the Contis, and they are CHEAP price wise, though I think they are high quality.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

I am on my second set of the motions. Very street riding friendly tire. No complaints,

none what so ever! Very sensible tire for my daily commuting here in Nebraska and my 3,000 mile journey to and from SumSumx2! From flat lands to mountain canyons and passes, 100 degrees to 30 degrees, dry, wet, slow, fast, accelerating, braking, straight roads to mountain switchbacks, these tires did not let me down once.

The rear tire is worth 5-6000 miles and the front is worth 2 rears.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a set from Chaparral last week and today had them installed. So far the motions feel very secure with a nice turn in with no "fall in" type feeling. I'm always amazed how good new tires feel and it sounds like from previous reviews these will retain their handling over the miles. I'll know more tomorrow after a nice long ride.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that I've put a few more miles on the Motions I'm totally blown away. I've never felt so confident on the vfr, the thing feels so stable, yet nimble. The stereotypical riding on rails feeling is always there. Seams and ruts go by without complaint, no tracking on seams and stable on the highway. All in all a neutral, repeat neutral confidence inspiring tire.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got through my first set of Contimotions. I have to admit...at first I wasn't too happy with them....but it turns out my tire gauge was faulty (it was reading 10psi higher than actual pressure!) and tire pressures were 28/32 instead of 38/42! :ohmy: Turns out, that makes a HUGE difference! Once I figured that out, I really liked the tires a lot. Confidence in dry or wet. As someone else stated, they dont have the turn in of a Pilot Power, and I'm sure they probably dont have the super high grip of one either if you are at the track, but for me, on the street, they worked very well, and I never had an issue of tire traction or front end turnin/feel thoughout the life of the tires. And speaking of tire life.....I got just over 7000 miles on my rear and the front still had plenty of tread left (double what I can get on a set of Pilot Powers). The front possibly could of lasted for another rear, but Chaparral Racing still has the Contimotion tire package deal for $165 f/r with free ground shipping, So I decided to go ahead and replace both and hang onto the used front for a spare. Honestly, I had my mind set on getting some Pilot road 2's this time or a PP front and PR2 rear, but a set of PR2's was over $100 more for the set. So I'll go ahead and run these and maybe next time I'll shell out the extra $$ for a back to back comparo with the pr2. Or maybe not :laugh:

• 2 months later...

For the first time the Shinko 009s were not the least expensive tire at Chapparal. I just ordered a set of the Conti Motions for $165 shipped, about $20 less than the 009s. I figured I'll give them a shot at that price.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought my 2nd set of these on ebay (rtvtire) $164 for the set. My last set I got from competition accessories for $152. They don't last nearly as long as the roadsmarts but at this price it is two for one. Down to the cord today on the rear tire at 5300mi. The front is decent but cupped. I think these tires do better overall than the roadsmarts. Great in all weather conditions and riding conditions. Mounted on an 06' VFR800

• 1 month later...

For the first time the Shinko 009s were not the least expensive tire at Chapparal. I just ordered a set of the Conti Motions for $165 shipped, about $20 less than the 009s. I figured I'll give them a shot at that price.

Have you had a chance to compare the 009s and ContiMotions? I have 009s on my '98 now and am considering switching to the Motions. Definitely looking for a more nimble feel than the 009s, but can't really shell out for PR3s at the moment.

Have you had a chance to compare the 009s and ContiMotions? I have 009s on my '98 now and am considering switching to the Motions. Definitely looking for a more nimble feel than the 009s, but can't really shell out for PR3s at the moment.

I haven't had a chance to go for a ride. Too cold/wet here since I put them on.

Archived