Arkansas in September - Reserve Your Spot NOW! Sep 21 through 23

Yokel

• Member Contributer

Still planning on this. Hoping the heat is going to break by then for camping. Will probably hook up with the group at Pop's, but why so late in the morning?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If I can get free AND if the temps are acceptable then I would consider doing the camping bit.

That would be cool Dutch...hate to be the only one doin the manly thang. What bike do you have now?

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Still planning on this. Hoping the heat is going to break by then for camping. Will probably hook up with the group at Pop's, but why so late in the morning?

Oh, the heat will be gone by then... *knocking on wood*

As to why we're leaving late morning... I work nights, and there's a couple guys that have contacted me that want to ride as a group, leaving later in the morning fits most of the folks I've talked to. Obviously it's not set in stone, and really with my new schedule leaving at 8 am would be best. But there is the early morning traffic congestion to think about etc... I try whenever possible to let the cages slug it out without my being there. haha! :tour:

• Member Contributer

Just thinking I'm probably going to be leaving earlier to allow for construction, etc and to set up tent with some daylight left. Maybe two groups if others think it sounds good.

• Member Contributer

Did the discussion on this trip get moved?

• Member Contributer

Nope, just been quiet. I've got a new schedule with added responsibilities at the workplace, so haven't had much time to fritter away on the web.

Just to put the feelers out there, I'm going to have a t-shirt designed for this... simply because I need some new clothes and I get along well with motorcycle t-shirts.

Not sure what the design will be yet, likely very immature and snarky.

Anyone else interested in having one made? Might have the local shop throw something together.

• Member Contributer

pinup_bombshell_1.jpg

I'm thinking something completely class-less like the above maybe with a bike instead of a bomb... but still give it fins or something.... Bombing the Ozarks 2012 VFRD blah blah...

I've got a few buddies who do tattoos, so it would be a similarly themed thing like this. Likely I'd have them knock up some kind of unique flash art.

• Member Contributer

Nope, just been quiet. I've got a new schedule with added responsibilities at the workplace, so haven't had much time to fritter away on the web.

Just to put the feelers out there, I'm going to have a t-shirt designed for this... simply because I need some new clothes and I get along well with motorcycle t-shirts.

Not sure what the design will be yet, likely very immature and snarky.

Anyone else interested in having one made? Might have the local shop throw something together.

So I'm curious...your profile says no car...what the heck are you doing in this heat??? I don't think I've been on my bikes in over two weeks and that has got to be a record! Well, except for living in Spokane when there is snow and ice all over everything for weeks on end...

I am going to try to escape for an early Labor Day run to AR twisty goodness...

• Member Contributer

LOL!

Yeah, I bought the VFR back in November after I judged my back had healed enough to start riding again. Spent some time warming up to riding again and then accidentally sold my pickup the first of March. I just haven't bothered to replace it. I am in the market for an older XJ Jeep Cherokee though when winter shows its head. Love that Jeep 4.0 I-6.

I work nights so it's not SO much like riding into a blow-dryer. I will admit though, the armor's been sitting at home. Getting to work soaked in sweat puts me in a bad mood.

Grocery shopping is kinda comical. Really though, living with only a bike isn't so bad. Been able to save some money since I can't get the fancy new flat-screen home... Doing a landscaping project was a pain. Mulch and garden tools don't REALLY strap down all that well. You can strap a bicycle to the back of a VFR come to find out.

-Jon

• Member Contributer

"I don't think I've been on my bikes in over two weeks and that has got to be a record! Well, except for living in Spokane when there is snow and ice all over everything for weeks on end..."

Dang Steve, you going soft on us or what? I'm riding every day. It actually feels good after freezing all day in the office with the hyper active A/C unit. And I am actually cooler riding ATTGAT, the jacket and closed helmet keep the radiant heat down. I do change to shorts and a tee as soon as I get home though.

• Member Contributer

I spent 4 days in Harrison earlier this summer and the best way I can sum up our adventure would be that the roads are 80-90% as good as TN/NC with 10-15% of the traffic (bikes, cars or LEOs). We hit traffic one time and that was only because of construction on 7 past the Hub turn off. Pick up the Motorcycling Arkansas pamphlet from the hotel and check out the Peel's Ferry route. Once you take the ferry across and continue northward, break away from the planned route and stay on 125 a little longer through Missouri, it's a great run. I'd also recommend the DD and I think it's route 341, that was awesome. Mountain Home is also a great stopping point for a break, lunch, etc.

Agreed. That Peel's Ferry is cool and 125 north into Missouri is like Deals Gap. Right after you cross on the Ferry (going north) there is a small mom & pop resturant on the left. We stopped there for lunch and it was pretty good. Link below:

http://www.tonysnewp....com/index.html

Mountain Home or Mountain View are both great places to stop for a break or lunch.

You guys have a great ride.

Mark

• Member Contributer
"I don't think I've been on my bikes in over two weeks and that has got to be a record! Well, except for living in Spokane when there is snow and ice all over everything for weeks on end..."

Dang Steve, you going soft on us or what? I'm riding every day. It actually feels good after freezing all day in the office with the hyper active A/C unit. And I am actually cooler riding ATTGAT, the jacket and closed helmet keep the radiant heat down. I do change to shorts and a tee as soon as I get home though.

Probably am going soft Gary! I just need to get out earlier on the weekends. Still not ready for the 100 mile commute home until it gets below 95 degrees. The ride to work would be perfect tho.

• Member Contributer

OK, go ahead and move me to the "fer shure" list. Still hoping for decent nightly temperatures.

Adam, quit talking about rain...bad ju ju!! We had more than enough on our last trip!! :warranty:

• Member Contributer

OK, go ahead and move me to the "fer shure" list. Still hoping for decent nightly temperatures.

Adam, quit talking about rain...bad ju ju!! We had more than enough on our last trip!! :warranty:

Got you listed DutchInterceptor, Looking forward to it!

Speaking of rain, hopefully between then and now some will fall... getting pretty dry here. :(

• Member Contributer

I'm to the point where riding in the rain would be a blessing...

• Member Contributer

+1... these wildfires are getting nasty...

Some friends and I drove Rt. 66 last night from OKC to Chandler, was eerie. Smoke over the roads and glowing red coals of trees falling and throwing sparks that the wind immediately grabbed and carried off to wreak more havoc. Hope we get rain soon or we're in trouble this year like 5 years ago when 1/2 the state burned.

:sad:

• Member Contributer

:fing02:

• Member Contributer

+1... these wildfires are getting nasty...

Some friends and I drove Rt. 66 last night from OKC to Chandler, was eerie. Smoke over the roads and glowing red coals of trees falling and throwing sparks that the wind immediately grabbed and carried off to wreak more havoc. Hope we get rain soon or we're in trouble this year like 5 years ago when 1/2 the state burned.

:sad:

You don't know what eerie is until you are standing in your back yard watching the flames shoot up one mile west, praying the wind will shift in the right direction. Estimated 50-60 homes lost Fri thru Sunday morning.

• Member Contributer

So I guess I'm the only one camping so far? Anyone else wanting to leave from the Oklahoma City area (or anywhere along the way) early on Friday? FYI there will be a group of ST1300 guys there from ST-Owners.com the same weekend. I've met a couple of those guys and they seem nice enough...

• Member Contributer

So I guess I'm the only one camping so far? Anyone else wanting to leave from the Oklahoma City area (or anywhere along the way) early on Friday? FYI there will be a group of ST1300 guys there from ST-Owners.com the same weekend. I've met a couple of those guys and they seem nice enough...

I actually *might* be leaving earlier than initially stated... stay tuned.

Archived