VFR800 5th gen no tach or multi panel

Guest Jocko99

Guest Jocko99

Hi everyone! First post on the forum cuz I have no tach or Digi-Dash. I just bought a 2000 VFR with ??? milage because the digital panel doesn't work. What ticks me off most is I have no gas gauge! I bought the bike running well and thinking it was a quick fix so someone please tell me it is. :unsure: I have check the obvious - fuses OK. I put a multi-meter on the blue clip and I seem to have power to the tach wire. 7V which changes with revs. The clock appears on the dash but I can't set it and the rest is dead. I see this flakey printed circuit at the back of the panel/cluster. I undid all the screws and cleaned the connections to the printed circuit but no good. Any one see this before? (he asks knowingly) :491:

Judging based on experience with my '98, sounds like you probably have more than one connectivity/power issue to deal with.

The display on my '98 has on occasion gone blank while I'm riding (usually after I've hit a major bump). When this happens I lose the speedometer, trip odometer, fuel & temperature gauges and the clock. On the other hand the tachometer and main odometer continue to operate. When this happens to my '98 between a few seconds to a few minutes power has (so far) always been restored to the non-working gauges and clock. Unfortunately the trip odometer and clock must reset after such these power interruptions occur.

I'm pretty sure the main odometer is powered by an internal battery, so if yours is not working that would seem to indicate an issue separate from the others. Similarly, if you're clearly getting power to the tachometer wire but the gauge isn't working sounds like there may be an open circuit or a short somewhere in the gauge cluster.

There are some forum members who have parts bikes so perhaps you can find someone who may have and be willing to sell you a replacement instrument cluster. So you might want to post a WTB (want to buy) ad for the cluster in the classified section of the forum.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was really hoping to try to fix the one I have. The PO told me it just quit from one minute to the next and never came back up. The speedo and the clock work though??? I wonder if the cheap printed circuit is not bad and that I could just solder a small wire from the clip to where it supposed to go to bridge the circuit board. What do you guys think? Anyone ever done this with success?

Are you sure you can't reset the clock? To do so you must turn the ignition switch on-preferably w/the engine stop switch on the right handlebar pushed forward to the "off" position. Next, press and hold both clock buttons for ~ two-three seconds (the characters on the display should start to blink)and use the buttons to select and set the hour and minutes. Once set turn the ignition switch off to save the settings and initiate the clock.

If nothing has been spilled on the circuit board and there are no other signs of it having been damaged I doubt if it's causing the issues you've described.

• Member Contributer

I soldered a 14ga wire to the board on my 2001 and stripped the end so that it would slide in with the blue connector where I had no voltage to my board.

as a result I have a brand new 0 mile dash for a 5th gen that I ordered 6 years ago installed and it too did not work, that was how I knew I needed to actually trouble shoot the electrical and found the broken pcb ribbon.

I put the new dash back in the box and am saving for when I completely rebuild a 5th gen

I did try to set the clock and its a no go. I tried every variation on the 2 button depress and the clock will not change time. BTW I also checked the orange groundclip under the seat and its pristene so I just put it back and taped it back up.

Thanks CornerCarver, This is what I was hoping for. I didn't feel like buying a new dash when its just a wire that went bad or a part that I can solder. I get power to the wire at the blue clip so now I will just go down the ribbon to see if I can get the things to work and solder the wire. I'll give this a try and let you know how it goes. Its a major PIA to not have a fuel gauge or trip meter.

OK I got her working. Here's the deal. I opened the panel after the stealer told me it was $900 for a new one (Ack!) I printed the wiring diagram and went to work. I had power to all of the screws except the IGN on the LED Panel. I took the power from the Speedo IGN screw and ran a wire to the LED panel screw and BINGO. Houston - we have ignition. The Tach draws power from the LED panel so it was out too but when I gave the LED juice both came back up. Here is one happy camper. I never figured out why I don't have power to that circuit but it doesn't matter because it just needed a power source. Tach, gas gauge, clock - everything works. NOW, I really like this bike.

Cheers.

• 4 years later...

I've just experienced something like this on my 5th gen (88k+ miles). I typically commute more or less daily on it, but had left it in the back yard with a cover on for a few days while out of town. Now, I'm finding the LCD "multi-panel" remains completely blank. (Tach and speedo work fine.) I'd be fine, tho not pleased, continue on without knowing exactly how far its traveled, but not knowing how much fuel is in the tank is a kicker!

I'll be excavating the dashboard this weekend to search for traces/connections to repair.

Archived