Spiegler LSL vs Heli bars

mikep

• Member Contributer

The last picture (Side View) was incorrect, it was with the stock clip-ons - this one is with the LSL bars.

20160629_193719.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

WOW! So much has happened here.

I have the Helibars on mine but with I am reading here, it seems I might be heading to the LSL.

A question though....what bar ends can one use with the LSL option?

Because I wanted a throttle lock of some type, and I was worried that the light bar and unique mounting position could introduce some vibration, I went with Throttlemeister heavy ends. I needn't have worried though, as it was vibe free even on the short test ride with no ends installed at all, and I so rarely use the throttle lock...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks. I am close to purchasing the lsl bar conversion. I am looking at a used set for a dct bike, however my bike is a manual. I see from the manufacturer website there are different part numbers for the kits. Will the bars for a dct bike fit and work ok for my manual ? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So, I bought the LSL setup... What is this hole of which you speak you guys are drilling?  I'm only 1/2 way through install (have the bars on... no controls yet), and the only holes I've seen in the factory clipons are waaaay up near where the brake/clutch mount.  Am I missing something obvious since it's dark and I'm tired?  Thanks!  After mocking it up, is throttle bind just a positioning issue?

• Member Contributer

Throttle cables are JUST long enough.......I did route the brake line the other way around the forks as it seemed more natural - need to clip the tang off, I used a pair of bolt cutter pliers from Knipex.

20160629_194405.jpg

Knipex.jpg

• Member Contributer

Many thanks for the photos.  I just got word that UPS is going to be delivering my fork springs tomorrow, so it looks like it will be a few days before full re-assembly.  I need to order bar ends as well.

C'est la vie.

• Member Contributer

Thanks!

I got pulled over by my house last Friday, and the first thing the two cops did was look at my bike, look at each other, then look at me and say, "The Punisher Huh?"

• 4 weeks later...

RC1237V,

Which Cortech tank bag is that you have there?  The 12 liter strap bag?  Or the 18 liter bag?  The Cortech luggage looks pretty good on the big vfr.  I have the same saddlebags and tailbag but no VFR1200 yet.

• Member Contributer
On 9/23/2016 at 5:23 PM, rocketman3 said:

RC1237V,

Which Cortech tank bag is that you have there?  The 12 liter strap bag?  Or the 18 liter bag?  The Cortech luggage looks pretty good on the big vfr.  I have the same saddlebags and tailbag but no VFR1200 yet.

The tank bag is 18 liter and the tail bag is 24 liter. I also have the saddlebags. The setup was perfect on my last 3-Day trip.........

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2012 at 3:04 PM, Hvrnaut said:

I really appreciate what you can do to help me out. I have the Helibars on my bike! They are good, but I believe I'd really like the Spiegler bar better. Just trying to get this bike just right...

Did you ever get the Spieglers?  If so would you want to sell your Helibars?  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I added the Helibars to my 2013 dct last year and it raised my torso sufficiently to make quite a difference to riding comfort. If I were to go to a lesser lean still, I think the extra wind exposure would become a problem for me. I also added a foot peg lowering kit (2") from Thurn Motorsport. That enabled a much more comfortable leg position. The Helibars plus the pegs resulted in a much better riding position for me (5'10", 195 lb).

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I am starting to think I need to raise the bars on my 1200F.

I ride a Crossrunner (VFR800X) on my daily 102-mile commute and the upright seating position is so comfortable and easy. I've ridden the 1200 a few times recently and find the more sporty position quite uncomfortable and causes numbness in my hands on occasion.

However, I think a similar position to the 800X would be too upright for the 1200 so I'm considering the Helibars which, from reading on here, appear to be a bit lower and seem a lot easier to fit than the LSL bars.

Am I correct? Any words on fitting and riding from those who have Helis on their 1200 already?

edit: been doing some more reading. The LH side grip needs removing and refitting to the new bars. I have OEM Honda heated grips fitted. Is there any issue with removing and refitting them? I don't want to have to fork out for a new set of heated grips £££££.

34 minutes ago, Skids said:

Am I correct? Any words on fitting and riding from those who have Helis on their 1200 already?

The Helibars are easier to install. Less cable rerouting, less worry about windscreen and tank clearances. They work for many, providing just enough change in height and pullback. I noticed the difference, but didn't get the relief from upper back pain I was hoping for, so sold them and then went with the LSL bar. Every body is different, so only you will know if it will work for you, so give it a try. If it's not for you I'm sure you could recoup some of your $$ by selling them to someone else.,,

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, Darrenk said:

The Helibars are easier to install. Less cable rerouting, less worry about windscreen and tank clearances. They work for many, providing just enough change in height and pullback. I noticed the difference, but didn't get the relief from upper back pain I was hoping for, so sold them and then went with the LSL bar. Every body is different, so only you will know if it will work for you, so give it a try. If it's not for you I'm sure you could recoup some of your $$ by selling them to someone else.,,

Thanks for the prompt response Darren.

An issue is they're selling them over here for the same price in £ as they are in $ over there. :angry: Maybe need to check eBay etc.

Just installed the Helibars. Mine are not indexed, therefore they can be adjusted fore and aft. The bars are definitely comfortable. They do sit me up a little more into the wind blast at speed. So....we'll see. I'm continuing to do my crunches and watching my weight.

MarkinReno 

• Member Contributer
On April 13, 2017 at 4:10 AM, Skids said:

I am starting to think I need to raise the bars on my 1200F

edit: been doing some more reading. The LH side grip needs removing and refitting to the new bars. I have OEM Honda heated grips fitted. Is there any issue with removing and refitting them? I don't want to have to fork out for a new set of heated grips £££££.

Skids, I doubt you'll be able to remove the OEM heated grip if you used Honda grip glue, or any other cement for that matter.  At least not remove it and be able to reuse.  Don't ask how I know.  I ended up putting the OEM heated grips on my HeliBars with alcohol only and it still was an effort.  Maybe I can remove them with some compressed air assistance, but wouldn't count on it.  And Honda only sells the grips as a kit, so no chance to buy just the left.

That said, I like the HeliBars.  Pretty easy install, usual tweaking and adjusting needed.  On my DCT with OEM adjustable screen, the left bar needs to be a slightly different angle than the right.  Odd, but unnoticeable.  Definitely more upright than stock, but still sporty.

On 4/13/2017 at 6:55 AM, Darrenk said:

I did not have to re route my cables with the LSL's

On 4/13/2017 at 6:10 AM, Skids said:

I am starting to think I need to raise the bars on my 1200F.

I ride a Crossrunner (VFR800X) on my daily 102-mile commute and the upright seating position is so comfortable and easy. I've ridden the 1200 a few times recently and find the more sporty position quite uncomfortable and causes numbness in my hands on occasion.

However, I think a similar position to the 800X would be too upright for the 1200 so I'm considering the Helibars which, from reading on here, appear to be a bit lower and seem a lot easier to fit than the LSL bars.

Forget the OEM heated grips.  I wasn't able to get mine off so I put on oxford grips.  I put on the touring model.  Lest than $100.  They have a little larger diameter and they are softer.  The control is also easier to use while riding. 

• 1 month later...

I recently went with the LSL kit. High quality machined parts, great finish and I love the end result.  You will have to buy some shorty levers as the stock ones will hit the mirrors.  It takes a lot of fussing around to get the sweet spot where the controls don't hit the fairings.  And you will need to add some packers to the steering stops, if not when you turn hard left it hits the kill switch and shuts the bike off.  But saying all this, totally worth it at the end.  Higher bars, closer to you equal a much more comfortable riding position, IMOO.

• 1 month later...

Archived