Spiegler LSL vs Heli bars

mikep

120h136mxn1sw.jpgHi

Has anyone considered using the Spiegler bar setup over the Heli bars, if so do you like them . Does anyone know the location differences between the two setups( higher,pull back). According to their website the Spiegler setup would include longer brake lines so I assume installation is a bit more difficult. I like the look too. This is the DCT version.

Thanks

post-23356-0-21323900-1339345454.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have either, but here's the advantage you would get with the Spiegler setup; you can choose the height and sweep of the bars bu simply changing the bars (it's the mounts and the longer brake lines that are the key ingredient from Spiegler. The bars are just your basic twin-wall styel dirt-bike bars and can be had in just about any configuration you can think of; height, sweep back, and width!

A lot of people love the Heli setup, but I'm not a fan of how they look, or the limited adjustability (granted, they *are* an improvement over stock).

It really comes down to which look you prefer, how much change do you need (like I said, Heli is significant, but a relatively subtle change, the Spiegler will be a much greater difference with more upright seating) ...and, of course, how much work do you want to do on install. Swapping the brake lines isn't hard, but it is somewhat involved, and you need to be sure to bleed them well (get a mighty-vac if you do it, you'll thank me later). :)

A local rider has the Spiegler kit and he loves it ...but he's a hooligan and I think he's just addicted to the added ease of doing wheelies! ;)

• Member Contributer

I would think with either set-up you would need to change the lines. Or do the HeliBars not change the position of the bars enough to need new lines?

I called Spiegler today and I was mistaken about the brake lines, the rep said they weren't needed. The rep also said that this was one of the easier installs since you don't have to remove the top bridge as the picture shows ( I thought I was going to have to remove the stock one), their parts go around the fork tubes and sit on top of the bridge. I don't think the crazy bar end weight set up Honda uses will fit this bar type though. I think I might give it a shot since he also said that I could return them if I didn't like the placement( 10% restock) which I think I will be able to get a pretty good idea where they will come to rest once I get them in my hands.

mikep,

Did you end up going with the Spiegler bar? I would appreciate your observations on the differences between them and stock and/or Helibars. Thanks.

mikep,Did you end up going with the Spiegler bar? I would appreciate your observations on the differences between them and stock and/or Helibars. Thanks.
Hvrnaut I just received the kit today so I plan on installing the bar this weekend so stay tuned. I don't know how they will compare with the Heilbars but I will try to take some pictures with the stock bars in place and the Spiegler bars overlaid to show the differences if possible. I'll take a few pictures of the kit before I attempt installation so you can see the pieces a little better. The quality looks to be top notch too.

I really appreciate what you can do to help me out. I have the Helibars on my bike! They are good, but I believe I'd really like the Spiegler bar better. Just trying to get this bike just right...

• Member Contributer

Wow... cool install idea. Figured it would replace the top of the tree... weird.

Wonder how this setup interacts with fairing clearance....

IMG_0442.JPGIMG_0443.JPGIMG_0444.JPGIMG_0445.JPGIMG_0446.JPGIMG_0447.JPGIMG_0448.JPGIMG_0449.JPGAll done I think. I don't know how they got it to go together in my first post because there is no way that was going to work. The supplied bar seemed to wide to me, maybe you can see that in the pictures below, it measured 29" across where ours measures around 26.5 or so. I was debating to just return the thing since tech support was gone for the weekend but I pressed on since I already put some slight marks on the spacers doing a pre-fit. The instructions sucked so I ended up using the Helibars instructions as guide which worked out pretty good. First thing I did was chop 1.250 off each end of the bar then I had to locate the drill locations for the switch gear since this bar doesn't come drilled like the Helibars do. You also need new bar end weights since the bar is 14mm inside dia but I knew that going into the installation. It was a major pain clocking the rotations and lengths so the bar ends wouldn't stick past through the end of the grips or be to short.There is also some clearance issues toward lock to lock so I think a short brake lever might be my next purchase. I assume the clutch side might hit too but I have a DCT so no issues there. I also had remove and rewire my heated grips but that was not to bad since I put them on it the first place. I also needed to take off the side cover to adjust the throttle cables since they became to tight after relocation. That's the real short story, if anyone has questions I'll try to answer best I can. This comparison is against the stock bar not the Helibar. Back to work tomorrow so I can rest :)

post-23356-0-16652400-1340557204.jpg

post-23356-0-74626100-1340557243.jpg

post-23356-0-90788300-1340557279.jpg

post-23356-0-09459200-1340557338.jpg

post-23356-0-60846600-1340557364.jpg

post-23356-0-08745300-1340557393.jpg

post-23356-0-30794200-1340557422.jpg

post-23356-0-49329500-1340557444.jpg

• Member Contributer

Mike,

Looks pretty cool all done up though... Curious what you think of the new ergo's... Fill us in when you get some miles on it. :D

How do those bars effect vibration, better or worse?

Is there any way to, take those motocross bars and reduce vibration at the same time?

Wonder if you could fill them with something heavy?

How do those bars effect vibration, better or worse?

Is there any way to, take those motocross bars and reduce vibration at the same time?

Wonder if you could fill them with something heavy?

I have not had a chance to ride the bike yet. I did install the vibranator bar end since I needed new ones for this installation so we shall see how they work. You could probably inject anything you want into them as long as it's not to runny as it would leak through the holes I had to drill to into the bar to set the switches properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - it's called an "update please"

Just had a chance to ride the bike this morning since it's been about 100 here every day for the last two weeks and I'm a ATGATT type of guy so I don't ride much when it's over 90. Overall I like the change from stock, it puts the bars a little closer and a little higher which lessons the lean in a little bit. The vibrations I would say were a little less but I don't know if that was due to the vibranators or the new bar set up. I called up spiegler about the instructions which were very poor and the contacted LSL which to my surprise admitted the instructions were incorrect and apologized and sent me a re-write of their new instructions. For my troubles they also sent me a new bar which I'm not going to use since I already went through the process. I still don't know how this would be done without trimming the bar like I did in my install, I don't think there is enough slack in the throttle setup to move the grip out another 1.25". This is how the set up looks now with me on the bike on the center stand, I'm 5'11 200lbs to give you a reference.

post-23356-0-70346800-1341682202.jpg

Hey Mike, judging from that picture, you stil have some forward lean going on there. If you were to put some bars on there with some more rise, then you'd have to do the lines but would you have to extend anything else, or do you see any other problems that might show up?

Auron

Yes, I do but its better then it was. Here's the problem you will encounter if you try to use a higher bar. I could have adjusted this bar a little higher in the clamps but as you can see it would have smashed the switch gear. This picture is at lock, so I got it as high and close to the fairing as I could without hitting the hazard button.

post-23356-0-30261900-1342322346.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice. As a new Aprillia Tuono owner I have thought of putting super bike bars on my 5th gen VFR. Except I am happy with the heli bars right now.

• 2 years later...

Thanks to this thread I have ordered, installed and am thoroughly enjoying my LSL bar riser conversion. My review is below:

Just had Honda pro technicians install the LSL bar kit from Speigler with the black bars along with the OEM heated grips and Throttlemeister throttle lock. NOTE: I did install the Helibars first, and found them to be a moderate change over stock for me - I removed them and returned them. For anyone who doubts - these LSL handlebars are a DRAMATIC change from stock and in my opinion made this motorcycle perfect. My VFR is now the long-distance tourer I hoped it could become. Higher, wider, further rearward. My seating position is now nearly upright, with zero weight on my palms/wrists. Control is dramatically improved - turning is instantly better, even on the first ride. This also dramatically changed the position of my backside on the seat - in a good way. It's as though this bike was intended to be fitted with these handlebars from the factory. The LSL bars work with the stock cables and the fit/finish is worthy of installation on a Honda. The OEM heated grips cost more than other brands, but the fit/finish is Honda perfect. I am now 100% certain this is my "forever" motorcycle. If you prefer sporty/low (as I did with every CBR I've owned), leave the stock grips on. If you are hoping you can somehow make the VFR 1200 more touring oriented, this modification will not disappoint.

You can see a video demostrating the riding position with the LSL riser bar conversion here:

Pictures below:

LSL bar riser w/ Throttlemeister

LSL bar riser - riding position, right

LSL bar riser - riding position, left

VFR In motion

not sure how bars can/ will give you better riding positon vs helibars. (bars do look much cooler though) VFR has only so much room between tank and fearing. Unless one will install bars with a set of bar risers that have up/rear offset to them and extend throtte cables and brake/cluth lines, bars will be at about the same position where helibars are. Do you have any pics of your bars in their full righ/left angle?

I just switched to helibars earlier this year. I was actually on the fence about the switch for the longest time. The stock bars were perfect for me on winding twisty roads, but a bit taxing on the long road to and from. The helibars did exactly what I expected. The bike is now all day comfort, but I do miss the stock positions when slicing and dicing. All in all, I like the compromise, but I would not want the bars any higher. That's just me, of course.

I just switched to helibars earlier this year. I was actually on the fence about the switch for the longest time. The stock bars were perfect for me on winding twisty roads, but a bit taxing on the long road to and from. The helibars did exactly what I expected. The bike is now all day comfort, but I do miss the stock positions when slicing and dicing. All in all, I like the compromise, but I would not want the bars any higher. That's just me, of course.

what I was trying to say before, there is only so much room on vfr12 for helibars or regular bars due to fearing/tank clearance. From what I understand, helibars and bars end up being at the same place anyway.

Archived