New and bigger OEM Honda Top Box (45 liter)

Are you really gonna spend 305 euro on an OEM box?! Sorry but Honda stuff is so ridiculously overpriced... I've got a GIVI Maxia E52 and it is GREAT!! Got it online from a shop in Italy for, believe it or not, 160 euro with delivery included. Also got the stop lights on it for 25 euro. And it is the real deal, GIVI certified, original packaging, made it Italy and everything. Same goes for the side bags, if you fancy them. OEMs are like 1000 euro / pair... GIVIs (V35) here for 260.00 euro / pair.

Here is a link to the online shop and they ship to EU for about 23.00 euro per shipment:

http://www.automotom...maxia-nera.html

And here is a picture of the bike with the box on it (and an OverBoard Dry Duffle bag).

post-24403-0-90034400-1335731191.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

You do realize that this works to over $760.00 for a top box. They double the price to ship to the US. That's high even by BMW standards!

You can find it in the French Honda 2012 Catalogue - price 390€...for the "old one" (31 liter) they still ask 745€

http://moto.honda.fr/Mediatheque/Accessoires/2012/#/80/

Can't prove it, but I think they are made by GIVI in Italy (so does the sports screen - it's even on it: made in Italy)

Some information I had from someone the UK.

The 2012 45 liter top box is the same as you can buy on the (European model) 2011 CBF 1000. Fits perfect on the VFR 1200 mountain plate.

• 8 months later...
  • Member Contributer

You can find it in the French Honda 2012 Catalogue - price 390€...for the "old one" (31 liter) they still ask 745€

http://moto.honda.fr/Mediatheque/Accessoires/2012/#/80/

Can't prove it, but I think they are made by GIVI in Italy (so does the sports screen - it's even on it: made in Italy)

The 6th Gen side cases and top box were made by Givi. So most likely the 7th Gen bags are Givi as well!

That's a lot of $$$ for a 45L case. I paid a little over $300 for my E55 with liner and lights. Looks good on the C14 but a bit huge on the VFR. I don't mind it. The utility of it more than outweigh the looks issue.

• Member Contributer

I got a chance to check out the Hepco Becker bags at the motorcycle show. They are head and shoulders above GIVI. They feel more rigid and better build. My GIVI E45's just have a little thing of rubber as a seal. The HBs have a really nice, substantial seal instead, and you don't need to unlock the bags to take them off the rack.

They have a VFR top rack at least. Something to look into.

... you don't need to unlock the bags to take them off the rack...

Everything sounded good until you said this. Not sure I'd want one. Or maybe I'm not reading you right.

• Member Contributer

My GIVI wingrack, there is one lock on the bags. To take the bags off the rack, you have to unlock the latch on the bags and press the big red button to release from the rack. This means that it is very easy for the latch to lift off and have your bag open and spill everything out if you don't hold it shut with your leg or something since the key lock is on the latch part that lifts up. Probably clear as mud. Try a youtube video to see what I'm talking about.

The HB bags have one lock on the rack to take the bags on and off, and another lock on the bags to lock the bags. No accidentally opening the bags when you're just trying to take them off.

Separate locks. Makes sense. I knew I wasn't reading it right.

BTW, not all GIVI bags has latch like that. The E55 has a single lock cylinder, but different actuators for opening the case and for unlatching from the base. Lid stay shut if you just press the unlatch. Also, turning the key to another position and out pops the otherwise flush-fitting handle.

Has anyone state side picked up the 45 L top box? As I can't decide on this option or the Givi.

I bought the 45 L top box back in October from these guys: http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_part_number_search_A10.php?partdes=08L72MGED41ZB. The price will go down when you add it to the cart and select US for shipping because they take off the VAT at that point. Right now you'd be looking at $406.52 including shipping. Make sure you get the 31 L mounting rack and the adapter for the 45 L too. The part number for the 45 L adapter is 08L73MGED40.

I have the 31 L that I had on the bike before too. I can post some side by side and before and after pics when I get home.

Please post pictures. I've got a Givi 45L top case and I'm trying to decide what rack to go with.

If I could get an OEM setup for a decent price and get a good sized top case, I might sell my Givi top case and go that route.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Please post pictures. I've got a Givi 45L top case and I'm trying to decide what rack to go with. If I could get an OEM setup for a decent price and get a good sized top case, I might sell my Givi top case and go that route. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry. Got busy last night and didn't have time to post the pics. I'll post them up tonight.

• Member Contributer

Has anyone state side picked up the 45 L top box? As I can't decide on this option or the Givi.

I bought the 45 L top box back in October from these guys: http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_part_number_search_A10.php?partdes=08L72MGED41ZB. The price will go down when you add it to the cart and select US for shipping because they take off the VAT at that point. Right now you'd be looking at $406.52 including shipping. Make sure you get the 31 L mounting rack and the adapter for the 45 L too. The part number for the 45 L adapter is 08L73MGED40.

I have the 31 L that I had on the bike before too. I can post some side by side and before and after pics when I get home.

Thank you for the link and information briandor as I ordered the 45 L top box but at this time it is on back order.

• Member Contributer

Please post pictures. I've got a Givi 45L top case and I'm trying to decide what rack to go with. If I could get an OEM setup for a decent price and get a good sized top case, I might sell my Givi top case and go that route. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry. Got busy last night and didn't have time to post the pics. I'll post them up tonight.

Yes I would like to see pics of it as we'll. I have the OEM box but its just not big enough

• 2 weeks later...

Great looking top case. Love the black stripe that matches the tank. Shaped very well too, better than the typical aftermarket jellybeans. $400+ adapter... is a bit steep, but not too bad considering a GIVI in that size range are about $250-300.

• 1 month later...

For those how have installed this 45l top box.

Was top box pad (pillion backrest pad) already installed or did you have to install it yourself ?

Or any ideas how difficult to remove and install it back ?

Planning to paint it (to match 2010 silver color).

For those how have installed this 45l top box.

Was top box pad (pillion backrest pad) already installed or did you have to install it yourself ?

Or any ideas how difficult to remove and install it back ?

Planning to paint it (to match 2010 silver color).

You have to install it yourself just like the smaller topbox was except it is included with the bigger box and you had to pay more for it with the smaller box. Very easy to install. Just drill the holes to the size specified at the spots marked on the inside of the box, peel the adhesive tape the way they tell you, then put the sucker on and peel away the rest of the tape. Probably takes all of about 5 mintues. Once you put it on you won't be able to remove it without screwing up the box since the adhesive is pretty much permanent and you'd have holes in the front of the box.

What part are you planning to paint to match the silver? The whole box or just the black part? Either way I'm not sure that I'd do it. To me I'd think it would be too much silver and would over power the looks of the bike. The box is pretty big and that would be a lot of silver.

Good it's attached in factory. Easier to paint.

Plan is to leave center part black, but because this 45l isn't available 2010 colors, I have to buy other color and paint it to match 2010 silver (NHA30M) .

Ah. Didn't realize that you had the silver bike. Guess that makes sense now.

I think you misunderstood me. The backrest is not attached when you get the box. But not being attached would make painting easier so maybe you did understand. Either way it's unattached and you have to put it on when you are ready.

Archived