Tmac Route Suggestions For 2014/2015

2015 bump

Hello folks,

All of our standard tmac routes are great, but I'm looking to see if anyone has any suggested options or knowledge of areas we should avoid!
I would appreciate someone taking lead at coming up with short(around 150) & long(around 250) route suggestions for both Friday & Saturday rides and the GPS mapping of each for everyone to download if desired.

Let me know if you can help me out please.

Thanks
BR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Here's a route different than I've ever done at TMAC.

1. NC28 to Deals Gap

2. US129/TOTD

3. North on the Foothills Pkwy

4. Right on TN73/Lamar Alexander

5. Left on Little River Rd/Old TN73

6. South US441 over the Smokies to Cherokee (a short detour could be taken a few miles north first for a stop into Gatlinburg if the group wants)

7. Then US441 south to Franklin (if group is tired and doesn't want to end technical or is behind schedule and needs higher speed) or you could go south on the Smokey Mountain Pkwy and then back to Franklin on NC28 for more tight twisties.

Total length about 190 miles if I remember right.

I did a route kinda like this one last August one day. We were staying in Cherokee instead of Franklin and we also went over and back on the Dragon and then did over and back on the Cherohala before heading back up US129 to the Foothills Pkwy. Did a big late dinner in Gatlinburg. Ended up riding over the Smokies on US441 in the pitch black in torrential rain and lightning. I had the pleasure of doing it in mesh gear. It was an experience.

US441 is a very scenic twisty ride over the Smokies. Can be a little crowded with cars on Saturdays so this would probably be a better route on Friday. Lots of good spots for beginner/scenic groups to pull off and rest on this route.

• Member Contributer

Another option would be to run up the BRP to Mt. Mitchell.

1. NC28 North

2. US19 North

3. US441 North

4. Blue Ridge Parkway North 115 miles to Mt Mitchell State Park at BRP mile marker 355.

5. Reverse route to come back. For a faster return route you could hop on I-40 West in Asheville and then come down US74 and then US441.

Total route length about 320 miles if you do the southern end of the BRP each direction.

Mt Mitchell State Park has a pretty decent restaurant to eat at and you can take a short trail hike to the summit to reach the highest point east of the Mississippi.

I know my suggested routes aren't too novel. There are some other routes I have had recommended to me but since I haven't had a chance to try them out I don't want to list them since road surfaces may suck or fun factor may be over hyped.

• Forum CEO

Looks like some of the routes I posted are repeated routes from years before over and over with small changes, I just took those core routes and corrected them with the Microtel as the starting and ending point and removed some gps weirdness, ( way points off the road , double backs, and wacky turn around points that should not be there) - basically cleaned up the routes - got the new hotel in there - removed bad way points and deleted doubled up routes.

Added version 2 for older mapsource versions.

TMAC-ALL-Microtell.gpx

TMAC-ALL-Microtell.gdb

TMAC-ALL-Microtell-version2.gdb

• 11 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey guys,

I have been playing with possible routes and came up with 3 sets. The long routes (magenta) are roughly 250 miles and about 7 hours estimated run time. The short ones (green) are roughly 200 miles and 5.5 hours estimated run time. They run in different directions to avoid creating our own traffic.

Disclaimer: I haven't run these roads in 3 years so i'm not sure of their condition. I also included some roads (especially on the GA route) I haven't yet tried - input from the experienced locals would be much appreciated!

Speaking of which, does anyone know if this road is any good? Taking Max Patch Rd from NC Hwy 209 north to TN Hwy 107? It sure looks pretty on a map!

Set 1: The Cherohala Run w/ Lunch in Tellico Plains.

Long Route: NC 28, Gap Store, Cherohala Skyway to Tellico Plains. TN 68 South, Hiwasee Dam & Lake, 129 South to Gum Log Rd, Old 64 N, Hwy 19/129/74 from Murphy to Andrews, Junaluska Rd, Wayah Rd, Franklin.

Short Route: Wayah Rd, Junaluska Rd, 19/129/74 to Murphy, Hiwasee Lake & Dam, TN 68 N to Tellico Plains. Cherohala East, cut thru Robbinsville, Sweetwater/143, NC 28 S to Franklin.

post-6354-0-63242000-1366738527.png

Set 2: North Georgia Loop. Needs review.

Long Route: Hwy 28/64 thru Highlands, Warwoman Rd, south to Lake Rabun, Seed Lake, Bridge Creek, Lookout Mtn Scenic Hwy, GA 197/Moccasin Creek, GA 356 to Helen. GA 348/Russell Scenic Hwy, Wolf Pen Gap, Suches. Down GA 60 to US 19, then back up GA 60 to Morganton, Loving Rd, Gum Log Rd, GA 66 to GA 339, Hwy 17/69 N to US 64, back to Franklin.

Short Route: 441 S to Clayton, Bridge Creek, Burton Dam, GA 356 to Helen. GA 348/Russell Scenic Hwy, US 129/19 South, GA 60 north to Suches. Wolf Pen Gap, GA 180, GA 17 N to US 76 E to Clayton. Can cut short and take 441 N to Franlkin or take Warwoman Rd, 28 N thru Highlands to Franklin.

post-6354-0-54375400-1366738535.png

Set 3: Hot Springs Run - assuming Max Patch Rd is OK

Long Route: Ellijay Rd, NC 107 N, US 23/74/Smokey Mtn Expwy, Hwy 209 N, Max Patch Rd, TN Hwy 107, Dixie Hwy to Hot Springs. Hwy 209 S, Hwy 63, Newfound Rd (avoiding Asheville), Pisgah Dr, US 276 S to Brevard. US 64 W to Highlands. 28/64 N to Franklin.

Short Route: Ellijay Rd, NC 107 S to Charley's Creek Rd, Parkway Rd to BRP, 276 N, Pisgah Dr to Canton, Newfound Rd to 63 N, 209 N to Hot Springs. 209 S to US 19/74/Smokey Mtn Expwy, 441 S to Franklin.

post-6354-0-05469000-1366738542.png

This was all done in Garmin BaseCamp and routed against their 2013.40 maps. I can spit out GPX/GDB/etc file formats if needed too.

-Laird

• Member Contributer

GA60 is where I got a ticket last year, road was crawling with LEOs, and almost no speed limit signs but its 45 MpH everywhere. I admit I was speeding, 61 but I figured was 50 or 55 zone, nope 45 and I was nice as hell but still got stuck with a ticket at 61 wouldn't drop it any.

+1 avoid it and BRP both are nothing but speed traps ....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Here is a conservative 375 mile route that The Girl and I will try either this week or next. The beauty of this route is once we head back south I can improvise and add or subtract distance back to Franklin at the end of the day. I don't much about the Burnsville area but I here good things.

Still trying to work out a way to get up to Rogersville/Sneedville TN area as that has become my fav riding area. Will post something soon and see if anyone wants to tackle it with me.

post-1814-0-19846100-1368283310.jpg

KEB

Led a CFL group the last 3 days, one day was through the triangle, 61 and Sneedville/Rogersville area. The 5 riders were all expert mountain riders and they said it was one of the best rides they ever had. I give it a top 5 all time. I will try and see if it is doable from Franklin but it will entail 400 miles minimum I am afraid.

I got stuck behind them slow SOB's last time, never again! :wink:

400 miles is my daily avg around here, but with a 400 there, 400 back, and a bunch between it may kill me! :mellow:

Pure BS. Find another thread! :wink:

• Member Contributer

OK, here are GDB and GPX exports of the TMAC routes, with and without my handy destination and navigation waypoint lists. Let me know if these work right!

TMAC13.gdb

TMAC13.gpx

TMAC13-withwaypoints.gdb

TMAC13-withwaypoints.gpx

Here is an Excel spreadsheet with the turn-by-turn directions for each of the six routes. I haven't done any pruning of duplicate turns or navigation waypoints from the directions yet.

TMAC13 turn by turn.xls

I was all proud of myself for doing a 250-mile "warm-up" ride today and here you guys are talking about doing 400 miles like it's going out of style! :wacko: I'm getting back on the short bus where I belong! :goofy:

-Laird

• Member Contributer

For those of you that want to pay tribute to TexasMac, this is the GPS coordinate I got for the cross location

N35 26.191 W83 48.799

(If others took a reading of their GPS unit, please see if this is close).

It took me another pass to spot the cross on the hill side;

do be carefull/watch other traffic as you pull over.

IMG 0811

• Member Contributer

Here's a pruned list of the turn-by-turn directions. I made each of the routes printable on two pages (one page front/back) with little turn icons and shaded rows to make them easier to read on-the-go. The little turn icons require Wingdings and Wingdings 3 fonts.

TMAC13 turn by turn pruned.xls

(UPDATED) Here they are in ready-to-print PDFs:

Cherohala Run.pdf

Cherohala Run Short.pdf

GA Loop.pdf

GA Loop Short.pdf

HotSprings.pdf

HotSprings Short.pdf

-Laird

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

TailoftheDragon.com Cherohala.com Moonshiner28.com DevilsTriangleTN.com SixGap.com TheDiamondbackNC.com Accommodations Touring Routes Contact US sign.gif

TAILoftheDRAGONMAPS.com - motorcycle and sportcar touring maps for western North Carolina, eastern Tennessee, and northern Georgia.

As riders ourselves, Tail of the Dragon realizes the importance of good maps when riding in unfamiliar territory. We have found ourselves backtracking on more than one occasion when confronted with sudden dead ends or unridable rocky paths. Modern GPS units are excellent and we use them on every ride, but they are not always correct and it is easier to see an “overall route” on a piece of paper. These maps have all been prepared by us after personally “being there” so that other riders can more easily plan their journey. The maps are as correct as possible. If you see a dotted line you can just about bet that the road is gravel. Great for dual sport riders, but not so good for the large cruisers.
Please print these maps and put them to good use. Hopefully they will lead you to great adventures.

UP TO DATE ROAD CONSTRUCTION/CLOSURE INFORMATION

TAIL OF THE DRAGON, CHEROHALA SKYWAY, MOONSHINER28, DEVILS TRIANGLE, SIX GAP NORTH GEORGIA MAPS

TOURING MAPS

HOW TO GET TO THE TAIL OF THE DRAGON AND CHEROHALA SKYWAY

GPS COORDINATES

RECREATION MAPS

All maps found on these pages are the copyright property of Tail of the Dragon and cannot be used commercially without our permission. If you want to use one of these maps on your website, please Contact Us. Individuals are welcome to print these maps for personal use. For large, printable maps, click on the links below. TailoftheDragon.com Cherohala.com Moonshiner28.com DevilsTriangleTN.com SixGap.com TheDiamondbackNC.com Accommodations Touring Routes Contact US

©Copyright 2012 Tail of the Dragon, LLC All Rights Reserved
For more information Contact Us

Link

http://www.tailofthedragonmaps.com/

NOTE: this was posted in 2014 so check for the latest updates.

BR

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Is there a way to load a route into iPhone google maps or into other software on iphone?

Is there a way to load a route into iPhone google maps or into other software on iphone?

Sure, just download a Mapsource app? :unsure: actually didn't see one.

You can hand build them in google maps, but I'm sure some knows a better way???

Archived