My '95 rides like crap. Help...

I changed the fork oil about a year and a half ago (almost due to do that again) and set the sag properly for my weight at the time. That helped quite a bit...but...

The bike still has a pretty harsh ride, and at higher speeds when you hit expansion joints on the freeway or ripply pavement the ride can get pretty bouncy. Riding it on a rippled road or just not smooth road gets extremely uncomfortable quite quickly. I'm far from a suspension expert, but it feels to me like the high speed compression damping is way too stiff -- the bike doesn't soak up quick impacts at speed, but jolts everything instead -- but at the same time it will start a high speed bouncing feeling if the bumps continue. BTW, I used 10W oil in the forks with the stock recommended air gap.

It handles acceptably well in the twisties for being a fairly heavy bike, but I'd really like to see if I can get a cushier ride out of it. I have 27K on it now and I'm thinking the rear shock is probably shot. I simply can't afford the $700-$1000 for a new aftermarket shock, so what options do I have other than a new OEM unit? I've hear Progressive makes a cheaper unit, but I'm having trouble finding a company that sells one for the VFR. I can't really spend more than $400 on a shock.

I don't need a shock with a million adjustments because I'd never use them. I do need preload...maybe some damping adjustments.

As for the forks, I have no idea what to do with that. I don't need a high performance suspension. I want something that handles weekend blasts in the twisties but doesn't ride like a leaf-spring Jeep everywhere else. new springs?

All suggestions welcome.

• Member Contributer

You could look into the Racetech Gold valves. That might help a bit.

Look up info here on the 929 rear shock. Plenty of it.

HS is on track with this, 10w is a very heavy oil to run in a VFR fork. 7.5w is about as heavy as you'd want to go.

If your tires are worn or more than five years old, replace them. That could be causing, or at least contributing to, the harsh ride. Set your tire pressures to 40 psi.

• Forum CEO

HS is on track with this, 10w is a very heavy oil to run in a VFR fork. 7.5w is about as heavy as you'd want to go.

I think it was 98 that Honda changed to 10w oil, the earlier model use 5w, shoot I dont know what weight I need for the veefalo and its about due for that too.

Archived