85 VF1000R Shock mount

JWhelan65

Is there anyone with an 85 VF1000R than can give me their inside measurement between the top shock mount? I went to install my Hagon today and the center bushing is off 3mm. Between the mount is 40mm on my bike cut and dried I have measured it 20 times. The Hagon shock bushing is 43mm and is not even close to going in. My only choice is to have the bushing reduced but I am not understanding why both the JD and now the Hagon were off by 3mm on the top mount? If I remove the bushing it slides in perfectly so the shock will fit if the bushing is reduced....puzzled?

• Member Contributer

Something interesting for you. I measured a bare 1985 VF1000R frame and it's 40mm. I measured a bare 1984 VF1000F frame also and it's...44mm.

EDIT: I have double checked my measurements for the stock VF1000F frame. The opening for the top shock mount and the upper shock bushing are both 44mm. The point is that the F frame and bushing are the same measurement.

Something interesting for you. I measured a bare 1985 VF1000R frame and it's 40mm. I measured a bare 1984 VF1000F frame also and it's...43mm.

Thank you, I have been wondering this entire time if the R and the F were the same. This is good info..

I had the same problem, hagons listings were wrong - they did me a smoking deal on correct shock. The later model 1000F and the 85/86 1000R had the 40mm top mount the 84 1000R had a 44mm mount. I think I have that the right way round. Will have to double check when home.

I had the same problem, hagons listings were wrong - they did me a smoking deal on correct shock. The later model 1000F and the 85/86 1000R had the 40mm top mount the 84 1000R had a 44mm mount. I think I have that the right way round. Will have to double check when home.

Hagon is sending me a second shock, should be here this week.

Archived