Cleaning deep ingrained grime - advice needed!

Guest seansparkle

Guest seansparkle

Hi All,

I'm restoring my bike , its been used by a courier and I don't think it's ever been cleaned since it's been out of the showroom!

I've tried blasting it with a paraffin gun and it's removed some of the surface grime, but there is lots of baked on muck particularly around the swingarm, engine casings etc.

Does anyone have a magic solution to get rid of this?!

I was thinking of using oven cleaner, but I'm sure it would strip the paint as it's caustic, anyone got any advice?

A big NO on oven cleaner. The lye in most of them will strip any protective anodizing you might have on any of the aluminum parts on the bike, causing them to corrode quickly afterwards.

A good start to cleaning the bike is a good warm sudsy wash with carwashing detergent then hit the stubburn greasy parts with some sutomotive degreaser and scrub it off with plastic bristled brushes (not on the painted bodywork though). WD40 is actually a good thing to use to clean up things as it will take off any sticky glue residue, oily and greasy stains. just remember to wipe it off after applying as it does leave its own residue. Mineral spirits will also work very well if you have really subborn grease and oil on the bike that's proving hard to get off.

To get the bodywork paint glossy again, you might need to cut the paint with some polishing compound if there is a lot of oxidation. Otherwise it will always be flat even if you try washing and waxing it many times. As for the matte black plastic parts that might have sun faded to grey, there are many automotive black plastic bumper cover restoring products out there that's specifically meant to bring back the black to them. I think one of them is actually called "Back to Black". An auto detailer's trick is to also apply vaseline on the black plastic parts. Its supposed to work real well, but I don't know if it lasts long.

Beck

95 VFR

• 3 months later...

There is some good information on this post, but I have some specific questions. When I was cleaning my bike, I was told not to use a hose because something could get wet that should not ever get wet. How would you recommend cleaning everything under the fairing? What above the the rear tire to the back of the engine? Would engine degreaser from the local car wash be okay?

• Member Contributer

First let me say this procedure is for metal parts encrusted with dirt and grease. If needed, remove your plastic to get at the dirt underneath. I do not have advise on restoring old plastic.

I've had great results using heavy duty de-greaser in a spray bottle, a bucket of hot water with a lot of generic pink dishwashing soap and a toothbrush.

- First I wash off what ever the hot soapy water will remove.

- Then I use the de-greaser spray on the tough spots and scrub with toothbrush. Frequest rinsing of the toothbrush in de-greaser is benefical as the grease can build up on the brush.

- Rinse the area with gentle hose and repeat til clean.

I've been advised not to use a preasurized water to spray the machine: doing so will force water in to areas where you do not necessarily want it.

Although I have yet to try it, I won a can of Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner & Polish at T-mac (thanks guys). While talking to a bike shop employee I mentioned I had a can of this stuff he had very good things to say about it, like "this the best stuff out there for easily cleaning motorcycles."

So start scrubbing and let us know how it goes.

• Member Contributer

A garden hose is fine as the pressure is low enough not to harm things, a pressure washer should not be used. A lite spray is all that is required...

I wouldn't hose down exposed electrical components, you can alway cover them prior to rinsing.

I have used engine degreasers but am very careful not to just spray everything. I "paint" on the degreaser w/ a brush, agitate w/ soft brush and rinse.

Spray with "Bike Bright" (or something else made for it). Spray on while bike is cool and dry, use different brushes that reach areas you want to work on, and rinse with hose. The bike runs in the rain so where it gets wet while riding can get wet while washing.

And as OOYeller says it would be wise not to wet down the electrics anymore than you have to.

http://www.jpcycles....product/900-274

The bike runs in the rain so where it gets wet while riding can get wet while washing.

Well there is a big "Duh" moment for me! I ride in the rain on my Nighthawk and never gave it a thought. This bike is such a huge change I seem to have digressed to a ignorant rider.

The degreaser that comes out of our local car wash is very low pressure. I think they have called it a "pre-soak" at other car washes I have been too. I'm telling you guys, the amount of gunk under this bike is of biblical proportions. It would also help keep that nasty crap off my driveway!

At some point you have to put a water house on the bike, But I prefer not to, my vfr has never seen a water hose, been 6 years, and it needs it bad internally. I just rub down with wet rags if I have to clean an area, I luv a full faired bike for this reason alone, just wipe them down and ready to go.

I'll have to wash it before any big motor work, like a valve check, but the water hose gets more into everywhere, than rain does. Blow alittle soap in the electrical connections, it dries and causes corrosion or bad connection.

Really My whole thing, from offroad, used to ride a couple hours the spend an hour washing and cleaning , it sucked. Then I discover after the mud dries , it falls right off the next ride, cut way down on washing. Only if going to do motor work, did I wash. I just transfered that technique over to other bikes, saves alot of Labor time.

Ideally I like to break down a bike when its new and clean and do all the preventative stuff Bearing wise, It creates big gains down the road. do all your suspension and bearings and never really need to mess with it again. Although, the vfr was a fairly greased bike, off the floor, very unusual from my experience. Im still on stock head bearings, and Im certain its from breaking it down when new. Usually the are barely snugg off the floor and lightly greased, get alittle play and the bearings quickly wear poorly. The steering head was well greased I just added some gear oil to keep the grease fluid,

Archived