Problems installing Heli Bars Please help.

• Member Contributer

I almost completed the Heli bar install with out any problems. Then I looked again and I have three problems right now.

- 1st problem, the bottom of the ignition switch case has a gap left open on the bottom side. (Picture 1)

- The instructions were not very clear on the right side and didn't even say to tighten the nuts on the ignition switch box.

- 2nd problem, After having everything on and trying to figure out the problem with the switch case I noticed that the bar end sticks much further out on the right side than the left. (Picture 2)

- Hopefully this is a related problem and I can fix both at the same time.

- 3rd problem, the left grip over hangs over the bar when placed back on. This causes it to bow up in the middle slightly when the bar end is reattached. ( Not Pictured yet but can be)

Help if you can I like the Heli bars, and I fallowed the instructions carefully. Seems they were a little light in areas though.

post-24394-0-18936000-1332032474.jpg

post-24394-0-08697100-1332032480.jpg

post-24394-0-90956400-1332032483.jpg

There is a plastic pin in that housing that is supposed to fit in a hole in the bar. It appears your pin is not in the hole.

In some of my racing clip ons, I've had to drill that hole, but the last couple of Heli's I've bought, the hole was already there. I think you need to take the screws back out, look at that pin and make sure it's not damaged (they're pretty fragile), then align to the hole. Once it's properly lined up it will close flat without the screws even being tight.

Left bar might be the same issue... but I've had to trim grips before... I'd need to see the pics to fully understand

• Member Contributer

Never mind on all three. I went back out and after so adjustments, I realized that the ignition switch box was not all the way out and not sitting on its little pin whole. Also the left side I had pushed the inner weights in to far, and all I needed was to tug on it to pull it to the right spot.

I do need to do a little more adjusting. I need to adjust the brake a little further out to match the adjustments that I had to make on the throttle assembly.

• Member Contributer

I will say this I need to see another vfr1200 without the Heli bars, because I do not notice much difference in my ridding position. I still feel like I could come up another inch or 2, and even out a little further.

Thanks for the information. You were right about the pin. The left side the instructions said to place the assembly on the pin whole. It didn't mention it on the right side. Either way I look forward to a few more adjustments and ridding it tomorrow.

I will say they at least look better than I thought they would at first.

Thanks

I don't know if it was just me but after using the holes they provide the rotation of the controls feels better. When switching from D to S (or vice versa) it would always cause me to either let off or gas the throttle making for a snatchy ride. The brake is also in a more favorable position and the blinkers fall to a more comfortable position. The height does not make that much difference, but if I put the originals back on I will relocate the control positions. Slightly less than half a nickles worth.

• Member Contributer

I do think the new locations of the clutch and brake lever, make for a more relaxing ride. Over all though the bars have met most of my expectations. I will be able to tell if they completely fit the bill in a week, when I get my first long ride on the VFR.

• Member Contributer

I'm not trying to ruin the bike and make it like a car, but when your a big guy (6'2" and 275lbs), it takes me a little more to make a bike fit me the way I like. Also I don't want to really lift the seat up, I just don't want the seat any lower. I like the way it sits right now, I just want it to have a little more grip so that I don't slide around on it. I thought about lowering the pegs, but I only want to lower or move them slightly, because I have a hard time getting my size 13 foot under the shift lever. I might just move the lever itself, but I want to know how much I can move it before I mess it up.

Like I said in my other post I want the vfr1200 to have better wind protection and comfort than my FZ1 and be more fun on the twists than my Concourse 14. So far, it is fitting that bill very well. I just want to have it conform to me a little more.

I drive and ride a lot, and I know what I want out of both. I'll be in the mountains eating up the twists next weekend, but in a few weeks it will be a 500 mile ride to see family all on the highway.

Either way thanks for the input.

Apologies. My post was inappropriate and I deleted it. I know you've copied it in your reply after my deletion but if you'd consider deleting it it would be appreciated. If not, Cest La Vie :smile:

Peter

• Member Contributer

Hey Peter,

No problem, I've had a lot of bikes, and I have just gotten to know what I want and don't want out of them. I hate to sacrifice performance for comfort, but if my goal is to ride longer distances and a few twist here and there, then some choices have to be made. Also bikes are all made for smaller people, just like cars. I love to drive my new Jetta TDI, but my head still brushes against the roof as I drive it. Who wouldn't enjoy 50 mpg out of a car on the highway.

Again the input I have been receiving from this forum has helped a lot. One of the best forums I have been on.

Thanks

I'm not trying to ruin the bike and make it like a car, but when your a big guy (6'2" and 275lbs), it takes me a little more to make a bike fit me the way I like. Also I don't want to really lift the seat up, I just don't want the seat any lower. I like the way it sits right now, I just want it to have a little more grip so that I don't slide around on it. I thought about lowering the pegs, but I only want to lower or move them slightly, because I have a hard time getting my size 13 foot under the shift lever. I might just move the lever itself, but I want to know how much I can move it before I mess it up.

Like I said in my other post I want the vfr1200 to have better wind protection and comfort than my FZ1 and be more fun on the twists than my Concourse 14. So far, it is fitting that bill very well. I just want to have it conform to me a little more.

I drive and ride a lot, and I know what I want out of both. I'll be in the mountains eating up the twists next weekend, but in a few weeks it will be a 500 mile ride to see family all on the highway.

Either way thanks for the input.

I see your problem right now. You should have got the dct like I did. No shifter relocation required. :tongue: You know I'm kidding don't you?

Hi! First post here, and I have the big foot problem too. I'm 6' even and weigh about 285 (down from 380 a year ago) and wear a 13 EEE boot. I'm a returning rider (20 years away) still looking for the perfect bike, stopped by the local Honda place just looking around and the owner took me straight to a 2010 VFR1200. I guess he knew I'd like it even though I hadn't really been thinking about anything that big and heavy (or that expensive, for that matter). I sat on the VFR and felt instantly at home. The one I sat on was a standard transmission, but he also talked about a DCT they had in stock. Initially I pooh-pooh-ed the idea of an "automatic" in a motorcycle, but now I'm intrigued. My left foot still hurts after a low-speed accident about 23 years ago, and getting my big foot under and over a shifter can be a bit problematic.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. If I do pull the trigger on a VFR I will be thinking about the Helibars too. Stock bars seem a tiny bit low, but I haven't ridden one yet.

• Member Contributer

I though hard about the DCT, but I already have enough problems with my Jetta DSG trying to make all the decisions for me. I know it's different than the honda DCT, but I just prefer to have the control.

I would say go for what ever fits you best, but the VFR is a very nice bike. Stock bars are a little low for me, but the heli bars really do seem to make it that much better. They are pretty easy to install as well, just fallow the instructions.

Hi! First post here, and I have the big foot problem too. I'm 6' even and weigh about 285 (down from 380 a year ago) and wear a 13 EEE boot. I'm a returning rider (20 years away) still looking for the perfect bike, stopped by the local Honda place just looking around and the owner took me straight to a 2010 VFR1200. I guess he knew I'd like it even though I hadn't really been thinking about anything that big and heavy (or that expensive, for that matter). I sat on the VFR and felt instantly at home. The one I sat on was a standard transmission, but he also talked about a DCT they had in stock. Initially I pooh-pooh-ed the idea of an "automatic" in a motorcycle, but now I'm intrigued. My left foot still hurts after a low-speed accident about 23 years ago, and getting my big foot under and over a shifter can be a bit problematic.

The dct is pretty nice, but it has drawbacks. Launches are 1 way only (slow.) but you can throw it in manual and it will only downshift if you let the revs drop way to low. Manual is very nice,but you always have the option of s or d for in town. You can check out the other threads for pros and cons of dct, as I now apologize for my for my thread hijack.

Archived