New VFR Owner (1992). Any Tips???

Guest vfr750guy

Guest vfr750guy

I just bought a 1992 VFR750 on the weekend. In fact it is featured in the 2012 VFRworld calendar for October. It is totally stock with the exception of a K&N air filter. It's in good working order and really doesn't need anything, which is good because I don't have much money to throw at it. Being new to VFRs, are there any inexpensive mods or aftermarket parts that are worth doing?

So far I'm thinking:

- swap out the red rear turn signals for amber ones, or I was even considering going clear all around (any ideas where to get them cheap?)

- maybe find some frame sliders to protect the mint body work (any ideas who makes some for this year?)

- new battery (what type would you suggest?)

- I heard about the wiring upgrade (VFRness) thing. So I will be checking to see if it has been done yet.

Eventually maybe upgrade the suspension and exhaust, but I don't think I can afford that right now.

I'm sure I'll be spending some time on this forum. Seems like a great resource so far.

post-24381-0-77924600-1331103820.jpg

post-24381-0-04154800-1331103823.jpg

post-24381-0-85066500-1331103825.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond!

Dunna what is cheap, but www.thurn-motorsport.de sells clear lenses.

• Member Contributer

Welcome aboard!! As Dutchy has already mentioned Thurn Motorsports is the only option that I've found for clear signals for the 3rd Gen and they are pricey at almost $200 U.S. for both front and rear. See my thread below for pics.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/64791-my-new-turn-signals-from-thurn-motorsports/

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD...

You have picked up an excellent bike there!

My suggestion would be to leave it just as Honda would have done. Your better off spending plastic light lens money on fresh oil and fuel. I have spent years trying to make my '92 look better.. but its not possible.

Yours is a very clean example

The only real mods you might consider would be a replacement rear shock..

A race exhaust to eliminate that flat spot at 3/4000 revs, and loose about 5 kilo in weight

Drop your front forks 7mm from top cap exactly to increase your ability to turn in quicker. Works wonders on the road.

Your bodywork is worth a fortune, look after it as you cannot replace it easily! Mine wobbled itself apart after 100,000 mile since i had my first big rebuild and spray ready for the next 150,000 mile.

Always found luggage on the rear of my '92 VFR made it speed wobble a touch when up to speed.

Your electrics want checking often............Both the yellow 3pin plug on right hand side of engine and your rectifier plug at the rear. These will melt the whole charging system at some point if left unchecked so its best to replace any reg/rec as soon as things look like they are melting!

I tend to change mine yearly to save grief. (you dont know how grief much until it goes off!!!) This is the only real gremlin, short of regular maintenance, this bike wil ever get!

If you ever run into probs.. Give us a shout. Have rebuilt the same bike many a time and covered over 300,000+ mile on the one '92 alone... so have a few tips...

From modifying everything from VFRs to CBRs, I'd say do very little to it. K&N air filter...light maintenance. I wouldn't even bother with the turnsignal mods. These bikes are so well adapted to the every day rider

Is there a good topic about wiring and r/r and this vfrness thing? I am a little confused about it, and rather than ask a bunch of questions, maybe there is a good posting already out there.

• Member Contributer

The fondest of memories when i first picked up my midnight blue '92(metallic black of course). The retired chap mentioned it scared him a little so was happy to part with her.

Was my first ever 750 and first proper bike.

Felt big, comfy, smooth and fast to ride first off.

Such a magnificent upgrade from all the other shite i had ever ridden before!

Not the best bike in the world for 10 years in a row for nothing!

look after that bodywork..$$$$... there is no more

Is cool 2 ask questions... its a vfr forum, were all bored anyway!

• Member Contributer

Is there a good topic about wiring and r/r and this vfrness thing? I am a little confused about it, and rather than ask a bunch of questions, maybe there is a good posting already out there.

Take a look at the two links below. The first link is the actual replacement harness and the second link is for the installation instruction. It's easiest to just leave the old harness in place and to run the new wiring harness alongside the old one. It's very simple to do yourself and shouldn't take more than 2 beers or 20 minutes total.

http://www.wiremybik...fcbb21e4940e2d1

http://www.wiremybik...fcbb21e4940e2d1

Regards,

Rollin

Just posted some questions in Motorcycle Maintenance / Electrical. If you have a sec, please give me some advice. Thanks.

I bought a '91 last year. My first bike and I feel like I got the right one. I took it into a local shop to have the carbs synced, new plugs and oil change. Did the brakes myself and then spent the summer enjoying the bike.

The electrical melted down a few weeks back. It's taken awhile to pull the parts together and I've chosen to change out to the Yamaha R1 R/R. I'm also replacing the starter relay since its cheap and the wires are melted anyway.

Point is, your probably on the right track to take care of the electric first. Then just check the basic maintenance and you should be good. This is definitely the place to go for ideas.

www.wiremybike.com was really easy to work with. JT was very responsive.

• Member Contributer
I bought a '91 last year. My first bike and I feel like I got the right one. I took it into a local shop to have the carbs synced, new plugs and oil change. Did the brakes myself and then spent the summer enjoying the bike. The electrical melted down a few weeks back. It's taken awhile to pull the parts together and I've chosen to change out to the Yamaha R1 R/R. I'm also replacing the starter relay since its cheap and the wires are melted anyway. Point is, your probably on the right track to take care of the electric first. Then just check the basic maintenance and you should be good. This is definitely the place to go for ideas. www.wiremybike.com was really easy to work with. JT was very responsive.

Welcome to vfrd and you are spot on there.

On the VFR short of checking the r/r regularly for signs of meltdown

-A carb sync(wanted once a year sometimes) ( the carb sync cost 50 notes so i now do it myself.. easy and satisfying to do )

-fresh oil every 4,000mile or yearly

-washing off the dirt and hard grime collected on your brake pistons

are your most important and regular maintenance items and will probably be wanted on a new purchase

Wouldn't dream of changing brake pads without cleaning/polishing up those brake pistons prope

Dirt collected on those pistons will affect for bikes performance. Its a 2-3 times a year job for me mileage depending..

I also wouldn't dream of using any other pads other than the Honda ones. They in my opinion are the best pads money can buy for bite, heat, fade and wear.

Thanks. That's good advice, I've noticed that I have one brake that's sticking, it releases ok, but makes it tough to back up the bike. So I'll pull them this week and clean up the cylinders.

While I'm there, is it necessary to replace the o-rings and if so is there a kit?

I'm replacing the electrical tonight (new r/r, harnesses, starter relay) and hope that's the end of the electrical.

• Member Contributer

There is a Honda kit to replace the piston seals, but you should be ok unless they are leaking.

A regular piston clean makers the brakes operate as they should.. which is actually quite good.

The only change to the brakes would be to braided hoses.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Honda kit to replace the piston seals, but you should be ok unless they are leaking.

A regular piston clean makers the brakes operate as they should.. which is actually quite good.

The only change to the brakes would be to braided hoses.

+1

On my bike, the seals were shot and actually did need to be replaced, I found a decent alternative to OEM from a UK distributor, his ebay name is "apriliarider".

I think they were about $23 for both front calipers.

Archived