Throttle Cables

Guest Ahmageddon

Guest Ahmageddon

Installed Helibars last week and I noticed when I took apart the throttle housing that one of the throttle cables was down to a single strand, with the rest frayed off and bent backwards. I have never replaced throttle cables and could not find anything in the manual, is this a simple fix? Also, any suggestions on where to buy/which cables to purchase whether OEM or an alternate brand so this doesn't happen again?

It's fairly simple, you'll have to prop up the tank and remove the old cable, route the new one the same way.

Was your old cable kinked or misrouted? what about the guide where it comes into the switchgear, was that dislodged or something?

My throttle cables are 13 years old and look great, so I suspect something is up with yours.

After install, run the bike in neutral and move the bars from side to side fully to be sure the revs do not increase, otherwise you'll be in for a surprise in low speed turns.

The manual has diagrams for correct cable routing.

Yeah, I am not sure how so much damage could have been caused to the cable itself. The cable itself did not appear kinked and was routed as shown in the diagrams. I will have to check the guide when I get a chance to look at the bike again. Will the special extension tool be needed to prop the tank up as you say?

• Member Contributer

After installing helibar - i have installed the ST1100 cables they are a great fit and the correct length (longer)...Helibar mentions to pass the cables from the front of the fork / meters and then slide it from the left down to the throttle body. The problem is with that the cables hit the meters(top cowl) and restricts handling. I have passed it under the fork and yoke.

After installing helibar - i have installed the ST1100 cables they are a great fit and the correct length (longer)...Helibar mentions to pass the cables from the front of the fork / meters and then slide it from the left down to the throttle body. The problem is with that the cables hit the meters(top cowl) and restricts handling. I have passed it under the fork and yoke.

Thanks for the advice. Do you recall where you purchased the ST1100 throttle cables from?

• Member Contributer

Speedsupplies...they are a little cheaper than bikebandit even after discounts

Are these the right part numbers for the longer cables?

17910-MT3-000 cable A and 17920-MT3-000 cable B

• Member Contributer

Question, how much longer are the ST cables?

I'd be happy to measure them for you when they arrive, but the "B" cable is on backorder from honda. ETA is 4/2

Just got my ST1100 cables in...I would measure but I have no measuring tape/stick/anything (sad, I know). Just curious, both the cables look identical to me. Does it matter which one is installed where? If so could someone point out the difference in the two cables. This whole push/pull seems misleading since both pull...

This is exactly what I need to know as I just ordered the Spiegler risers and bar set. I will now order the ST throttle cables now that I have the part numbers. Thanks for putting them up here.

And make sure to look at the manuals routing for the cable too, because a lot of the time when people take them off or replace them they fail to use the OE routing and just put it how they think it fits best and end up with problems because of it. And I've worked in repair shops with mechanics who are guilty of this too.

If possible I am thinking of just connecting the ends of the new and old cables and use them to pull the new ones through. We will have to see how it goes. I have not had the fairings off yet so I dont know what to expect. The VFR has a little less room than my V-Strom so I expect there to be some swear words flying around.

• Member Contributer

Ruoting I kept same...but at the handle bar side I routed it between the fork and tank. If you pass it from the front I.e. Between fork and meters , they keep getting hit or pinched.

Also make sure the brake and clutch lines are made loose and tilted slightly. The master cylinder tabs need to be cutoff.

• Member Contributer

This is exactly what I need to know as I just ordered the Spiegler risers and bar set. I will now order the ST throttle cables now that I have the part numbers. Thanks for putting them up here.

Please take the time to measure them and post up before the install :logo:

• 3 years later...

Archived