Post your Voltmeter mount pics

RedShed

• Member Contributer

It ain't pretty but it's portable and works for me. I also use it to monitor charging voltage off the bike.

gallery_1774_6904_24532.jpggallery_1774_6904_32623.jpggallery_1774_6904_10940.jpg

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not very sano, but if you look at the top right of my cockpit, there is a round volt meter. I just had it laying around and I wanted to see if it fit.....and it has been there ever since.

28-rocks_0001_zps7e52c521.jpg

• 3 months later...

Easy job, lots of room in this area.

That is where I want to put mine. How / where did you hook it up to? Which wiring and did you go back to the battery?

Sort of anal about this because this is my field. Voltmeters on bikes. I always run a new wires [pos and neg] (fused) directly from the battery via a relay that is closed with iginition power.

That way IMHO your gauge is reading actual battery voltage, minimizing voltage drop as much as possible.

Would you be willing to explain this a little more: "via a relay that is closed with ignition power." I'm not an electrical guy so wondering what this looks like?

• Member Contributer

A "standard automotive relay" has four terminals: two of them are used to "trigger" the relay (this is what SinNH would have connected to something in the ignition (switched) circuit), and the other two are the "triggered" circuit (in this case, a direct connection between the battery (+) and the voltmeter). Hooked up that way, the relay is "normally open" and no voltage is fed to the voltmeter from the battery, but when the ignition circuit is activated, the relay closes and the voltage is allowed to go to the voltmeter. HTH.

Ciao,

A "standard automotive relay" has four terminals: two of them are used to "trigger" the relay (this is what SinNH would have connected to something in the ignition (switched) circuit), and the other two are the "triggered" circuit (in this case, a direct connection between the battery (+) and the voltmeter). Hooked up that way, the relay is "normally open" and no voltage is fed to the voltmeter from the battery, but when the ignition circuit is activated, the relay closes and the voltage is allowed to go to the voltmeter. HTH.

Ciao,

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Got my meter installed using the relay setup. Also add blue LEDs to my dash for a matching look. So far totally loving it. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Member Contributer

Hey MJay, which exact LED bulbs did you buy and from whom did you get them. A part number for the supplier would be greatly appreciated.

Nice job on the volt gauge as well. How did you attach it to the front of the bezel?

Hey MJay, which exact LED bulbs did you buy and from whom did you get them. A part number for the supplier would be greatly appreciated.

Nice job on the volt gauge as well. How did you attach it to the front of the bezel?

See this post: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/76307-volt-meter-and-dash-light-install/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Universal Mini 12 Volt LCD Voltmeter LED, voltmeter, voltage, battery, gauge, meter

SKU: 16015932
The RaceTech Electric 12V Digital LCD Voltmeter is a high quality charging gauge. It is easy to mount with an included threaded stud, washer and nut. Just drill a small hole in your mounting surface. The LED Voltmeter has simple installation with Black & Red ring terminals attached directly to your battery. It draws very low current when powered up. This meter features a third Blue wire that is a switch function. The Blue wire attaches to ignition switched +12V, and turns the meter on automatically with your key switch. Now you can easily monitor your charging system at a glance!
Was: $39.95
Sale: $24.95

Found this one . I like the way it mounts .

• 4 weeks later...

Found a pic of mine....cheap $3 ebay item and rocker dremeled into the left side inner black plastic.

Hey KC

Nice looking job !!

Great post to find just as I'm looking for a spot for mine volt meter...thank you

Just a question for KC - at night is that location distracting with the LED ?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I havent ridden for 5 months now but from what I remember, not at all. And I can actually read it on the sunniest of days fwiw.....no relay, its wired directly to the battery. Affords me the ability to check it without a key....draws nothing as I have left it on for weeks.

• Member Contributer

I just put a voltmeter on my 6th Gen yesterday. I cut and bent a piece of Aluminum to hold the meter and then powdercoated it black just so it would match a bit better. I wanted it connected directly to the battery to hopefully get the best readings, but I did put it on a switch so I can turn it on and off. It was reading just .1 below my fluke meter. The switch is just below the left grip so it is easy to access when riding as well. I just velcro'd the mount to the dash on the backside. It is so lightweight that I think it should hold just fine. Plus if I ever want to move it, I can easily. I am waiting on my gear indicator so when I get it I may move the voltmeter over just a bit.

VoltMeter_20140323_0002.JPG

• Member Contributer

I just put a voltmeter on my 6th Gen yesterday. I cut and bent a piece of Aluminum to hold the meter and then powdercoated it black just so it would match a bit better. I wanted it connected directly to the battery to hopefully get the best readings, but I did put it on a switch so I can turn it on and off. It was reading just .1 below my fluke meter. The switch is just below the left grip so it is easy to access when riding as well. I just velcro'd the mount to the dash on the backside. It is so lightweight that I think it should hold just fine. Plus if I ever want to move it, I can easily. I am waiting on my gear indicator so when I get it I may move the voltmeter over just a bit.

Instead of the switch, you could have used a relay and get a direct power from the battery, however you would need a switch powered source so it only works when the key is on.

thanks Anik

• Member Contributer

Instead of the switch, you could have used a relay and get a direct power from the battery, however you would need a switch powered source so it only works when the key is on.

thanks Anik

Understood, I wanted something I could check without the switch being on as well.

• Member Contributer

Understood, I wanted something I could check without the switch being on as well.

you can try this ...

VFR800 Aux Fuse Box.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided to go for Left Cowl Upper... I went with Green to match the dash lighting,,,,

I found the smallest waterproof gauge on fleabay - note there are a lot out there that are much cheaper and larger you need to look at the dimensions... this one is 27mm...

After install I was really impressed - on quality and brightness..

I installed it onto my fused main terminal of my aux fuse panel - switched of course...

Thanks for the thread !!

post-29183-0-28337000-1396673635.jpg

I've used it for about 100km so far and it's not in direct line of vision (too bright and bothersome) is what I wanted but is still easy to read without any head movement...

That looks incredibly difficult to read while riding, but I imagine it's easier than it looks...

Archived