Post your Voltmeter mount pics

RedShed

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Looks like I bought a similar VM to you:

I mounted it on top of the steering lock and filed a semi-circle to match the ignition switch. JB weld FTW

20130109_132316_zps62747a3e.jpg

Popped a switch in for farkle's sake:

20130109_132335_zpsf98912f1.jpg

20130109_132203_zpsccdee7e4.jpg

So, i seem to have lost power to my voltmeter, as well as the heated grips after hooking up my new battery tender. Have not been able to investigate yet, but I hope it is something as simple as a blown fuse from a surge from the tender, or missing hooking up a wire.

Anyone else lose their voltmeter while newly connected to a battery tender? Any ideas? Hope to look into it this weekend.

Thanks...

• Member Contributer

Here's a pic of my Honda marine voltmeter on my 5th Gen. I think the retail on this was about $50. Digital would have been more accurate, but this is waterproof and matches all of the OEM instruments perfectly. They also offer it in white. The one downside is that it can be a bit difficult to see over the bars, but that is my fault where I wanted to mount it.

post-24302-0-13543000-1358172091.jpg

IMAG1723.jpg

Bought it at ADVMonster (USA): http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/-strse-23/Waterproof-Digital-Voltmeter/Detail.bok

DC 8-28 volts
LED technology
Three wire connection: Red power, Blue voltage signal, Black ground
Wiring allows the voltmeter to measure a different source than what is powering the meter. Connect power and ground to a switched connection and the meter will turn on with your vehicle.
22mm high X 40mm wide X 19mm deep. Wires are 30cm long.
US$25

You get a 10% discount if you're an inmate/member at ADVRider...

Fittted with some alu section had lying around, some strong glue and velcro strips... attached to rhs top triple bolt

• Member Contributer

VFR voltmeter.jpg

A Honda factory part, supplied through the marine parts catalog. Waterproof. I think it cost me about $35 3-4 years ago. 2" hole in the LH fairing, wired to switched power off a relay. Lots of people thought it dead stock.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Did my voltmeter install. I mounted it in the same place that Dferrell did above, and wired it into the ign wire leaving the key switch. Hot only when the bike is on.

It reads about 0.3v lower than the battery voltage measured right at the terminals. BUT, it was an easy install. No routing of wires back to the battery nor figuring out how to fire a relay, etc.

Crappy iphone picture:

med_gallery_554_564_951257.jpg

I mounted mine in almost the exact same position, same color, and by the look of it, same voltmeter.

The install was easy and hookup was easy but it's a little difficult to read in some lighting conditions.

gallery_17747_5163_79139.jpg

gallery_17747_5163_7264.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Found a pic of mine....cheap $3 ebay item and rocker dremeled into the left side inner black plastic.

post-23797-0-48793500-1362332070.jpg

• Member Contributer

Found a pic of mine....cheap $3 ebay item and rocker dremeled into the left side inner black plastic.

Great location :fing02:

• Member Contributer

^^^^^^

+1 -- Agree with that! Great idea!

(I like it better than mine. :cool: )

-- Great thread! :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I've got a different Honda Marine voltmeter, but it's not yet permanently mounted. It should eventually look something like this:

VFR800FiY dash, Zumo and gauges

Ciao,

• 2 months later...

Got a voltmeter from ADVmonster (http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/-strse-Meters-and-Gauges/Categories.bok) and installed it over the weekend. Stole BCmcrider's location idea, wired it into my 12v outlet in the lower left panel. Here it is on a rainy day:

image-3.jpg

Here it is at night in my garage:

image-2.jpg

I haven't ridden with it on a sunny day yet, from what I've read they aren't quite as visible as the Datels in bright light. I'm still very pleased with it though, especially for the money (25 bucks!). I'm also working on coming up with a way to make a bezel for it. That's it. Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Got a voltmeter from ADVmonster (http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/-strse-Meters-and-Gauges/Categories.bok) and installed it over the weekend. Stole BCmcrider's location idea, wired it into my 12v outlet in the lower left panel. Here it is on a rainy day:

image-3.jpg

Here it is at night in my garage:

image-2.jpg

I haven't ridden with it on a sunny day yet, from what I've read they aren't quite as visible as the Datels in bright light. I'm still very pleased with it though, especially for the money (25 bucks!). I'm also working on coming up with a way to make a bezel for it. That's it. Cheers.

You cant see them during day no matter where put them except maybe in the helmet, hey just had a idea in the helmet .

• Member Contributer

I spent a good three or four minutes trying to figure out what kind of offroad vfr you had in front of your bike lol

I thought dam what a traffic jam . . . .

• Member Contributer

Easy job, lots of room in this area.

That is where I want to put mine. How / where did you hook it up to? Which wiring and did you go back to the battery?

Sort of anal about this because this is my field. Voltmeters on bikes. I always run a new wires [pos and neg] (fused) directly from the battery via a relay that is closed with iginition power.

That way IMHO your gauge is reading actual battery voltage, minimizing voltage drop as much as possible.

• Member Contributer

That's a good plan. I ran the voltmeter from the unused tag light connector on my RC51 and it reads 1 volt lower than battery. It is consistent, but I just have to remember.

I spent a good three or four minutes trying to figure out what kind of offroad vfr you had in front of your bike lol

haha yeah, the traffic jam in the garage leads to not having enough space to put stuff down... without putting it on another bike. Thus we have the XL250 with VFR tail section.

• 1 month later...

Archived