Post your Voltmeter mount pics

RedShed

• Member Contributer

I am adding a voltage meter to my 5th gen. I just purchased the Lascar DMV-1200, and have seen several threads on mounting / wiring. I thought there might be other creative installers and fabricators out there, so i want to pull together a thread of custom mounting ideas. If you have a voltage meter how about posting up pics of your mount and pros and cons of the location now that you have used it awhile!

Thx.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Thought I had some pics of my Fifth Gen, don't see any. I have a Datel LED meter mounted on the top of the left side fairing, just below the black plastic, beside the tank. Wired through my switched accessory fuse panel under the seat.

Lascar volt meter on my SP1, wired into the tag light plug:

IMG 0482

IMG 0483

Had this bracket laying around, so I used it! I mounted it on the triple clamp bolt.

IMG 0475

• Member Contributer

This is a Datel on my 6th gen. I have it wired through my fuse block under the seat.

DSC02656.jpg

• Member Contributer

I went with Talus' tank screw mount for the Lascar. (I even stole his picture here. Mine looks identical--except its centered :) For now its wired directly to the battery because I like to see the status before I power it up. The current draw is pretty minimal. I suppose I should add a switch at least. Probably will do just after it drains the battery in the middle of nowhere. (I think I understand that Veefer800 did it this way with no problems though.)

Full credit:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/34838-lascar-voltmeter-install-pics/page__p__783196__hl__+talus%20+voltmeter__fromsearch__1#entry783196

gallery_11167_3227_41908.jpg

• Member Contributer

I mounted mine where the right side plastic cover is under the seat. Since fixing my problems I didn't want it right in my face. The pros are that it's out of the way, fairly protected from weather and easy to read from the side of the bike. The con's - you can't see it when you are riding. I ordered mine from Ebay - Joe-Florida for about $12 and I hooked it through my accessory fuse box under my seat.

post-21159-0-19895700-1330892008.jpg

post-21159-0-31173200-1330892151.jpg

• Member Contributer

Lookng good all. Keep them coming. So far I like the talus / skymon mount as the "least intrusive" to the factory plastic.. My only thought is, "how readable is it when riding?" I Like to keep my head up to prevent sudden stops via impact ;)

• Member Contributer

IdleVolts.jpg

13volts.jpg

Mounted using 2 pieces of 1 inch width aluminum stock. Bottom piece has holes drilled that line up with the tank mount holes and then 2 that are wider to accomindate the top piece. Used 1/2 inch spacers on the wider hole mounting and 1/4 - 20 bolts to put it together. I botched the paint and will redo it at some point. mbe powder coat the brackets. (Rattle can in a 50 degree garage, bad idea.)

• Member Contributer

IdleVolts.jpg

13volts.jpg

Mounted using 2 pieces of 1 inch width aluminum stock. Bottom piece has holes drilled that line up with the tank mount holes and then 2 that are wider to accomindate the top piece. Used 1/2 inch spacers on the wider hole mounting and 1/4 - 20 bolts to put it together. I botched the paint and will redo it at some point. mbe powder coat the brackets.

I like it, is it easily readable when riding?

• Member Contributer

Mounted using 2 pieces of 1 inch width aluminum stock. Bottom piece has holes drilled that line up with the tank mount holes and then 2 that are wider to accomindate the top piece. Used 1/2 inch spacers on the wider hole mounting and 1/4 - 20 bolts to put it together. I botched the paint and will redo it at some point. mbe powder coat the brackets.

I like it, is it easily readable when riding?

I just did it this winter so I really have zero miles on the thing. But I was conserned about reading it and just sat on the bike on the centerstand. I thought it wasnt all that bad to see. - -- You could do a quick check while riding, if you can see the tank bolts your good.

It was kinda tricky to put together in that you have to sneak the wires into position where you want it to torque the tank bolts. I have the top bracket bolts pointed threads up, so then you can sneak the top bracket in place to finish with the nuts. -- Its like a 3d jigsaw puzzle.

• Member Contributer

Lookng good all. Keep them coming. So far I like the talus / skymon mount as the "least intrusive" to the factory plastic.. My only thought is, "how readable is it when riding?" I Like to keep my head up to prevent sudden stops via impact ;)

For more accurate reading you will need to get

• a volt meter with three wires (1-ground,2-powered source,3-direct battery) or
  • a 2 wire volt meter and use a Cutout/relay to connect it

goodluck

• Member Contributer

This is a Datel on my 6th gen. I have it wired through my fuse block under the seat.

DSC02656.jpg

What's the flap on top of the pivot?

• Member Contributer

For more accurate reading you will need to get

• a volt meter with three wires (1-ground,2-powered source,3-direct battery) or
  • a 2 wire volt meter and use a Cutout/relay to connect it

goodluck

I started out with a relay powered on/off by the taillight but decided I didnt like it. Went with a simple toggle under seat in line with the positive side and fused. With this set up I can flip it on and check the battery before I turn the key on and fire it up. I find only a tenth of a volt difference between a multimeter direct on the battery and the meter up front. --- -- I like.

Switchrocker.jpg

Sa1713,

Can you tell us how you removed the mirror and cleared the glass?

• Member Contributer

DSC02656.jpg

What's the flap on top of the pivot?

I think you're referring to the center of the top triple clamp - that's a Powerlet outlet - good for GPS or other accessories. It's wired directly to the battery through its own fuse so it's hot all the time - that also makes it very convenient for hooking up the battery tender. I got it from Tightwad when I ordered some other parts from him.

http://www.powerlet.com/

• Member Contributer

Sa1713,

Can you tell us how you removed the mirror and cleared the glass?

I removed the mirror from the fairing stay, and placed it under a halogen light until it was soft. I used a plastic putty knife that also was heated and slid that between the glass and plastic housing until the glass was worked out of the housing. I heated everything back up for install.

I used a dremel tool with a slight buffing wheel to remove the coating on the back of the mirror. i siliconed the volt meter to the back, wired it up and ran the wires down through the condoms. (I'm the only one who likes those...) I driled a small hole under the metal mounting plate, through the fairing and into the void behind the inner panel.

I wired mine drectly to the battery as it uses little to no juice while parked. My volt meter is within .05 volts of what a multimeter reads. It did warn me of trouble prior to the event.

I like it as it is almost a heads up display.

• Member Contributer

DSC02656.jpg

I have a Datel ready for this install & I had thought of the same location. It looks like you have the Datel in a box. The meter is waterproof so I am intending to just use the bazel for asthetics. Do you have other pictures?

• Member Contributer

DSC02656.jpg

I have a Datel ready for this install & I had thought of the same location. It looks like you have the Datel in a box. The meter is waterproof so I am intending to just use the bazel for asthetics. Do you have other pictures?

I did a detailed write-up of it last June (wow time flies!). Although it looks like it might be hard to see, I can clearly see it while riding, even over a tank bag.

http://www.vfrdiscus...767#entry797767

Archived